Shahrukh khan in Fair and Handsome advertisement.
Grooming and looking attractive is the “in” thing for the male gender nowadays. Gone are the days when men would apply the horribly stinking Dabur Amla to their hair and wear a single shirt for an entire week!!!!!! Today’s male species have started giving importance to the way they look and SMELL not taking into consideration the weird Rahul Mahajan appearing on the national TV with Himalaya Neem face pack on. The market is flooding with fairness creams and products exclusively formulated for men and stars like Shahrukh Khan, John Abraham, and Shahid Kapur do not mind endorsing fairness creams, and not to mention hoardes of “similarly” smelling deodarants and roll-ons. Not that all men were ignorantly blissful about looking good and smelling right, there were a handful of them, who were very conscious about their looks and appearance, and one of them is my father. My father has served in the Air Force as an officer for 30 odd years and as far as I can stretch my memory, I have never seen my father repeating a shirt for more than two days in a row or with unkempt hair (he is semi bald though). Even now, he keeps a separate cabinet, where he stores his personal care items such as Fair and Lovely (yes that pink one), Listerine mouthwash, Vaseline body lotion, Johnson’s and Johnson’s ear buds, Sensodyne toothpaste, deodorants, talcum powder, etc. He never likes to be seen without dye in his hair. So, you can imagine how much I turn my nose up looking at unkempt guys and those with severe BO and MO. Fortunately, I married someone who had no BO or MO issues, otherwise, life would have been much more difficult.
This is a pamphlet that came in today’s local newspaper, think of metrosexualism reaching into every nook and corner of India.
Okay, coming back to my father, my dad is someone who feels uncomfortable with dry skin. He does not like to apply cold cream on his face, so he is one of the few men who do not mind applying Fair and Lovely and that too with much glee. He likes Fair and Lovely because it dissipates the stretchy feeling he says. There is a funny incident that I associate with his love for “Fair and Lovely.” Actually, around 3 years ago, following a brain stroke, my father was hospitalized in the ICU of Military Hospital for 16 days (so many days in the ICU because he refused to get shifted/transferred to the Medical Ward of the hospital because the nurses in the Medical Ward weren’t as pretty as the ICU ones!!!!!). One day, while I was visiting him in the ICU, he told me, “beta, get me a nail cutter tomorrow, see how long my toenails have grown, and what will these nurses think!!!!….and ask them to give me a shave too, and oh don’t forget to get my Fair and Lovely!!!!!).” I was smiling and grinning thinking he didn’t mind being severely ill, but he did mind about his grown toenails, stubble, and “Fair and Lovely.”
I am sure my dad is not the only one with the Fair and Lovely addiction, there are so many of them, and fairness creams like “Emami Fair and Handsome” has come as a blessing for them. My dad has chucked out the pink “Fair and Lovely” and he is so happy with his “Fair and Handsome” now that he usually stocks up two to three packs at any given time.
I have seen two variants of the same fairness cream, the first one is a little larger white package that says “Fair and Handsome with Unique 5-Power Formula for Tough Male Skin” where as the second one is comparatively smaller and the cover says “Fair and Handsome Now Stronger with Lumino Peptide for faster glowing fairness.” I checked the manufacturing date of both packs to find out whether there was a long gap between the two creams, but no, the larger pack says 03/10 as the manufacturing date and the other one has mentions 06/10. So, I am kind of presenting both the packs.
Starting with the first package, which says “Unique 5-Power Formula”, here are the details.
WHAT FAIR AND HANDSOME WITH UNIQUE 5-POWER SAYS:
Emami, in collaboration with Activor Corp, USA, herbalists and dermatologists from India, has created a unique fairness cream for men with a breakthrough “Unique 5 Power” Formula to make skin fair and handsome in just 4 weeks.
UNIQUE 5-POWER FORMULA FOR MEN:
1. Double-strength peptide complex: This wonder molecule patented in the USA effectively penetrates tougher male epidermis to regulate melanin production.
2. Sunguard: Revolutionary double power sunguards counter overexposure of male skin to sun and protect it from harmful UV rays.
3. Anti-Bactiplus: Breakthrough anti-bacterial agents actively protect skin against pollution and dark shadows caused by daily shave, nicks, and cuts.
4. Stressbuster: Sensational nutra-complex relieves stress and fatigue signs. Removes dead cells and rejuvenates skin.
5. Herbocool: A unique combination of refreshingly cool herbs like Vetiver, Mint, and Liquorice makes skin fair and fresh with a pleasant cooling sensation.
Rs. 68 for 60 mL.
WHAT FAIR AND HANDSOME WITH LUMINO PEPTIDE CLAIMS:
Emami, in collaboration with Activor Corp, USA, herbalists and dermatologists from India, has created a unique fairness cream for men with a breakthrough fast action Lumino Peptide to make skin fair and handsome in just 3 weeks.
5-ACTION FAIRNESS SYSTEM FOR TOUGH MALE SKIN:
- Fast action Lumino Peptide: Unique Lumino Peptide Complex effectively penetrates deep into tough male skin, making it fairer in just 3 weeks.
- UV Block: Zinc Oxide protects skin from pigmentation caused by exposure to UVA/UVB rays, dirt and pollution.
- Mark Free: Aloe Vera removes blemishes caused by shaving cuts and bruises.
- Protein Booster: Smoothens skin, improves texture, reduces wrinkles, and restores skin elasticity.
- Glow Plus: Skin nourishing agents like Vitamin E and A make the skin glow more than ever before.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
Apply on face and neck twice daily after cleansing for faster glowing fairness. Regular usage recommended for best results.
PRICE: Rs. 40 for 30 g.
This pack has also a very useless and ineffectual shadometer that shows how your skin tone would become fairer from week 1 to week 3, it is only a marketing gimmick and nothing more.
Both the packs also state that compared to women’s skin, male skin is:
- 3 times more exposed to sun’s UV rays.
- 5 times more exposed to pollution.
- 2 times more exposed to stress factors.
- Daily exposed to harsh shaving blades.
No wonder, women’s skin products don’t work effectively on male skin.
Both the packages have the same list of ingredients, I wonder what’s the difference between them.
MY DAD’S EXPERIENCE WITH EMAMI FAIR AND HANDSOME:
Though my dad is not a fan of Shahrukh Khan and hates and wonders why girls/women/ladies love him so much, he took Shahrukh Khan’s word to buy and try this F&H cream. I am not sure how many packs of F&H he has already finished because he always has had a backup and has been using it ever since Shahrukh Khan started endorsing it. Also, he finds F&H indispensable now. He says it has smoothed his skin over a period of time and gives his skin a moisturizing effect. It has not improved his complexion to a great degree, but then he is happy that there are no side effects either like dry or parched skin. Smell-wise, when I examined both, the one with 5-power unique formula had a very strong shaving cream kind of smell, but the lumino-peptide one has a very sober perfume. Upon application, both impart a cool feeling to the skin, which I assume is due to menthol. Overall, a good day cream with moisturizing effect for those men who give equal importance to appearance and grooming.
WHAT MY DAD LIKES ABOUT FAIR AND HANDSOME:
- It gives him a matte effect and moisturizes his skin.
- Over a period of time, he says, it has brightened his complexion.
- The price is very reasonable he says, he can stock up on 2 to 3 packs at a time.
WHAT MY DAD HATES ABOUT FAIR AND HANDSOME:
- When I asked him, he said, “are you kidding, absolutely nothing.”
IMMB STAR RATING:
Well-groomed men and metrosexualism are not going to be passe anytime soon and that is good news for us wives/daughters/spouses/fiancés/girlfriends.