EYE CARE – WAYS TO REDUCE STRESS ON EYES
Am sure most of us ladies who are part of IMBB/regular readers of this would be giving lot of strain to eyes especially because we are in front of the computer busy reading the posts, commenting and we tend to keep on staring, staring, and staring at the screen. The situation is worse if you are a working woman who spend hours in front of system@office and back at home we rush to our favourite IMBB whenever we get free time(like me;-)..Well this is giving extra stress to your eyes and most of the times when we cannot help but keep on straining our eyes it is absolutely necessary we start thinking about ways to reduce the stress and the many after-effects like dark circles, burning, dryness, puffy eyes etc. Am sure it is almost next to impossible that we reduce the time spent in front of computer when our job demands it and how can we ever think of being isolated from this lovely IMBB gang!!So this post is dedicated to all those who share similar feelings and hope it would be helpful to protect your eyes from daily stress.
Eye care through Proper Diet:
Try to include food items rich in vitamins like a glass of carrot juice almost every day, few almonds in the morning (soaked in water overnight), Green tea rich in anti-oxidants and drink approx. 2 litres of water daily, along with 6-8 hours of good sleep. Nutrient rich foods are the most essential part in eye care. Below given are the major nutrients which are effective in preventing many eye diseases and maintain eyes in healthy condition:
- Vitamin A: Food rich in Vitamin A include Carrots, Papaya, Green leafy Vegetables, Tomatoes, Spinach, Egg yolk etc
- Iron: Dark green leafy vegetables, Liver, Dates etc are very good source of Iron.
- Anti-oxidants: Vitamin C, E and A are some of the vitamins which act as anti-oxidants that can protect the body from harmful free radicals. It is especially effective in eye care if you include all fruits & vegetables which have rich hues of color-tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, red grapes, carrot, soy, whole grains etc are all excellent choices.
- Amino acids: Include nuts, seeds, pulses, soya products, cereals, egg, and some dairy products which are proven sources of dietary amino acids.
- Vitamin B complex is good to reduce redness in eyes and can help eyes that are sensitive to light. Food Sources for vitamins B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12 (cobalamin): pastas, breads, milk, dark green vegetables, mushrooms, tuna, nuts, avocados, bananas, liver.
Eye Care with Natural & Commercial products.
Common eye problems other than serious ailments include Puffiness, Dark Circles, Burning Sensation, and Redness etc. Most of these are due to lack of sleep, and long hours in front of TV/Computer. Also age, heredity, hormonal problems, allergy, smoking, sun exposure etc are few other contributing factors especially towards dark circles.
Few tried & tested Home remedies which are effective to reduce stress and related eye problems:
- Relax and place a slice of cucumber or potato on your eyes closed for 10 minutes everyday. It will surely help in reduction of dark circles.
- Almond oil is also effective to reduce puffiness and dark circles – Instead of applying cucumber, and almond oil separately; you can also apply mixture of cucumber juice, and almond oil under your eyes.
- When feeling tired, dip cotton pad in rosewater or chilled milk and put this cotton on each eyelid for 15 minutes a day and lie down with your feet raised slightly higher than your head.
There are many products available in market like cooling eye drops, under eye cream/gel etc which when applied gives relief from many eye related problems. Here are the 2 products which I use.
- “Sunetra” Eye Drops – A purely ayurvedic product which helps to relax eyes from all types of strain, computer usage, night driving, exposure to light, heat, dust & smoke etc and is good to relieve redness, burning, drying and itching of eyes and provide a cooling effect. Major ingredients are extracts of Caesalpinia Sappan, Jasminum Grandiflorum (Spanish jasmine), Cynodon Dactylon (Durva grass), Damask Rose, Camphor etc. Priced@Rs 60 for 10 ml, this is an excellent product in my personal experience.
- Nature’s Essence Under-Eye cream with Almond and Potato extracts- I have just started using this product so can’t comment much on its effectiveness. Product claims to reduce dark circles and moisturize eye area- needs to be massaged for 5 minutes and used twice daily.
Eye Care Tips for Computer Users
- The 20-20-20 Rule: Follow the 20-20-20 rule. After every 20 minutes of work, look 20 feet away from the computer screen and blink 20 times.
- Blink: We blink less while using the computer and we tend to stare as a result the blink rate reduces. So consciously blink while working on the computer.
- Computer Glasses: Moderate to severe eye fatigue may need glasses as some cylindrical refractive Error may need to be corrected. If you work several hours a day, you may need numbered Computer Glasses or Anti reflection coated glasses that give the eye a rest while working on the computer
- Avoid Contact Lenses: Avoid using Contact Lenses while working on the computer as they tend to worsen the Dryness of the eyes.
- Maintain Distance: Maintain a good distance from the computer screen. Sit approximately 22 to 28 inches away from it. Sitting too close or too far may increase the strain on eyes and cause eye fatigue
- Maintain Level: The center of the computer screen should be 4-5 inches below your Eye level. It’s best to look at the computer screen in a Downward Gaze. This position helps the lids to cover most part of the eyes and you can still view normally with less surface exposure and drying of tears.
- Adjustable Chairs: Use adjustable chairs so that you can maintain good posture by adjusting it to your need. Your legs should always be rested on ground.
- Room Lighting: Arrange the lighting in the room such that the glare and reflection in the Screen are reduced to a minimum.
- Anti glare screen: Attach an anti-glare screen in front of your monitor. This would reduce the light reflected from the screen. Preferably use the flat panel screens as they don’t reflect light.
- Air-conditioner: Ensure that the air from the blower is not directed towards your eyes, as it is a major cause of dryness.
- Eye-movements: With the eyes closed roll your eyeballs both clockwise and anticlockwise. Two sets of ten repetitions every three hours of computer work.
Hope the tips are useful. So what are your favorite eye care products??
If you've used this product, rate it in the box above and write the review below!
Indian women are talking about:
- Elaneer kuzhambu
- eyecare tips