While looking for a body lotion to replace my near-HG body lotion Garnier Skin Naturals Body Cocoon, I recently picked up Lotus Herbals VANILASMOOTH body lotion. Ever a sucker for anything vanilla flavoured, I took a quick whiff of it and bought it on a whim. I had no problems with Body Cocoon, but I wanted to play the field a little and see what else was out there. I love the way Body Cocoon absorbs into my skin within seconds, leaving no trace of the moisturizer – just smooth moisturized skin that smells delicious! Since this review is not about Garnier Body Cocoon nor is it a face-off between the two body lotions, I shall stick to Lotus Herbals VANILASMOOTH body lotion (hereafter referred to as Vanilasmooth, the body lotion, the lotion etc.) for the rest of the review.
The mauve plastic bottle has a sturdy base, so it does not topple easily. I hate it when they make long, thin bottles that keep toppling over all your other stuff. The bottle has a flip-top to pour out the lotion. Although the cap fits tightly, I wouldn’t be comfortable carrying it in my handbag because it is still a flip-open kind of packaging that could burst open under pressure. Also, its size is not small enough for it to be carried around in a handbag easily.
When I opened the bottle, I expected a warm toasty vanilla smell, but this lotion smelled of vanilla essence trailed by a pungent avocado scent. A nice vanilla scent is difficult to get right, but this is the pits. Since I had shelled out 165 Rupees for 200 ml of this product, I decided to use it anyway. I have been using this lotion for 1 ½ months every night on my hands, arms and feet.
Things I liked about this body lotion:
- It has a nice consistency, neither too runny nor too creamy.
- It forms a good moisture barrier on my skin for hours.
- It does get absorbed into the skin mostly within a minute as they claim.
- There is a green leaping bunny on the pack, which I’m assuming implies a cruelty free product. There is also a ‘recyclable’ symbol on the pack.
- I like the flip-top packaging and the ease with which the product flows out. This was a problem with Body Cocoon – I had to sometimes tap the bottle hard to get the product out.
- It has lasted me over 1 ½ months and that’s good enough for me. I tend to get bored and discard stuff midway if it goes on and on. At least I’m not going to be feeling guilty throwing away this bottle, because it is going to be empty.
Things I didn’t like about this body lotion:
- The pungent avocado smell mixed with vanilla is a put off for me.
- It leaves a slightly waxy feel even after getting absorbed into the skin and not the silky smooth feel the product claims.
- It does not spread very easily. While applying, it streaks into a whitish film which you have to rub into your skin
- The packaging does not indicate how the soy component of this product helps your skin.
- An airy fairy ingredient list – vanilla, soy & avocado. Yes ladies, this is really all they want to disclose of the secret sauce they’ve put into this body lotion. It helps to know exactly what is inside the goop you are applying to your body.
- It does not contain any SPF, but this is not really a problem for me as I use it only at night.
Will I buy this again: No, just because there are so many other options out there to try out. So I guess this is adios Lotus Herbals VANILASMOOTH body lotion!
Product rating: :star: :star: :star:
Have you used Lotus Herbals VANILASMOOTH body lotion?
If you've used this product, rate it in the box above and write the review below!
Indian women are talking about:
- lotus body lotion review
- lotus vanilla velvet body lotion