By Neha Shukla
I always think of Rimmel London as the Revlon of United Kingdom. Rimmel’s prices are comparable or cheaper than most American drugstore brands and their products usually perform better. So, if I am going to a drugstore, I look for Rimmel. This review is for one of their lesser known products: the ScandalEyes Flex Mascara in 003 Extreme Black.
Where To Buy:
I picked up mine from Ulta (just because I happened to be getting other stuff there), but you can buy it pretty much anywhere – in stores or online from Walmart, CVS, Rite Aid, Ulta, Drugstore.com, Ulta.com, eBay, Amazon, etc.
It is a stubby looking mascara tube. You get 0.41 fluid ounces or 12 ml of product. Going by mascara standards, that is a lot of product! Most drugstore mascaras are only between 4 to 7 ml, so this is almost two to three times the average product.
Price and Shipping:
The retail price for this mascara varies depending on where you buy it from. It can cost you anything from $4.99 to $6.99 + tax. Even at the higher end of its price spectrum, it costs about the average drugstore mascara. So, it is very reasonably priced.
My Take on Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black:
What I love the most about this mascara is the brush – a full and happy looking brush. I am not a fan of small mascara brushes (Becca’s Ultimate Mascara is the only exception to this rule!). Another thing that stands out about this mascara is that it really is “flexible” to the touch and doesn’t give me weirdly stiff lashes. Even the brush itself has very “movable” bristles, although that can be a pro or con depending on how many coats you use. Alas, I didn’t realize – that this mascara is not waterproof! :( :( :(
Here are things I love about this mascara:
What I Love about Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black:
- For the average price of $5.99 + tax, this mascara performs decently well.
- I ONLY use a SINGLE coat of mascara and this does not clump my lashes. The giant poufy brush gets all of my lashes in one go!
- It is priced lower than most drugstore mascaras that have a similar performance.
- If you do end up clumping them, they are pretty easy to comb through and fix.
- You get a LOT of product of decent quality for the price.
- Once dry, the lashes do not feel “stiff” and look natural (unless someone is in your face!)
- If you can go without crying/tearing up all day, it will not smudge and you will not look like a panda bear.
Things I am Not So Much in Love with about Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black:
- The fact that it is NOT waterproof means that I will NEVER buy it again. That is one aspect of a mascara that it super important to me because I have very sensitive eyes and at the slightest irritation, they water up and bad things happen.
- I find this mascara a little bit too “wet” for my taste, I prefer dry-er mascaras.
- Because it is so wet, it takes forever to set and dry.
- It’s supposed to be volumizing, but I find that it really only lengthens my lashes.
- The soft brush is a negative when you are trying to do more than two coats because it doesn’t really “grip” the lashes very well.
- Even though it does not clump, it does stick the lashes together.
- Even though it is not waterproof, it is not very easy to take off.
- Because it is NOT waterproof, it will not hold the curl as good as a waterproof mascara.
- If you go over your lashes with more than two coats, it will clump like no other.
I am honestly not sure how I feel about this mascara and so I have decided on two ratings for it.
1) If you are like me, and cannot be around a NON-waterproof mascara – I give it a 0/5
2) If you a normal person and can look past it’s NON-waterproofness – I give it a 3/5
Last Thoughts on Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Flex Mascara in Extreme Black:
This mascara is a hit or a miss. I wish Rimmel would make a waterproof version of this mascara with everything else the same and I would definitely try it! But since as of now, they do not, I am keeping my distance from it. I know a lot of women prefer NON-waterproof mascaras (blasphemy! …am kidding :p) and if you are one of those lovely ladies, I would suggest you give this a try depending on whether or not you like wet mascara formula and how many coats you use and if you need lengthening because this is very unique mascara, but it does NOT volumize lashes at all.
Peace out! <3
Rimmel London Powder Blush in Pink Rose 004
Rimmel London Professional Eye Brow Pencil 001-Dark Brown
Rimmel London Gentle Eye Makeup Remover
Rimmel London Match Perfection Blush
Rimmel Scandaleyes Show Off Mascara
Glide Tri-Flex Shaving System
Colorbar Lash Illusion Mascara Duo
CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Mascara in Brown
Maybelline XXL Curl Power Mascara
Revlon Double Twist Volumizing Mascara (Waterproof)
Lakme Eyeconic Mascara Review, EOTD
Maybelline Hypercurl Volum’ Express Mascara
Bourjois Volumizer Mascara Review, Photos + Haul