For some reason shaving has been a big NO-NO in the society, well at least around me. All of my friends, and even my mother, hate it. In fact my mom would kill me if told her I shave regularly. The first hair removal method that was introduced to us when we were in our teens was hot waxing, I wasn’t allowed to do it till I was 16. So at first I was so excited about it but after a few months I realised waxing was giving me a lot of ingrown hair and by ‘a lot’ I mean A LOT. I literally didn’t want to wear anything that would show my legs because I was too embarrassed of those ingrown hair. Plus waxing would always give me rashes, small bumps and redness on my skin that atleast took a day to go away. So, if I had to go out anywhere even in night, I would have to get waxed one day before the event. That’s when I decided to try shaving with a razor and I haven’t looked back since then.
It is a completely painless method as compared to hair removal through waxing or epilator. I have tried epilator just once and it literally gave me shocks over my arms. Also, for under arms which is one of the most sensitive part of our body, I find shaving way more convenient.
Choosing the right razor
Unfortunately we don’t have much options with razors in India yet. Hopefully,the razor making companies will realise that their razors can be sold in India too. HOPE. Well, I use Gillette women’s razors, those bluish green ones, I am sure all of you must have seen it in market. But for delicate areas like underarms I use a small razor by Vega which has a cushion padding, it is slightly more curved and its cushion padding makes it way more easier to shave delicate areas without getting any cut. Here I would like to mention that the only difference between men’s razors and women’s razor is their handle, the razor is same for both of them.
Do I need a shaving Cream?
Well Yes, because just like men it makes the shave more smooth which in turn makes your legs very smooth. It is important to provide lubrication to become less vulnerable to nicks and cuts. If you don’t find a shaving cream, you can even use a body wash, oil, I read somewhere even conditioners can be used for this, though I am not very sure about that. I am currently using Gillette’s Satin Care and I am pretty happy with it till now. Also, don’t forget to sterilise your skin and even the razor you are using ,for that you can use water diluted in dettol
What parts to shave?
Legs, arms and underarms. Though some women prefer shaving bikini line but I would highly recommend not to. Also, you should never shave your upper lip, chin or brows
Benefits of Shaving
• It’s completely painless, but you need to be a little careful. Once you start doing it ,you get an idea of how to do it. Always shave in the opposite direction of hair growth
• It’s very easy and quick and it’s the best hair removal method when you are in a hurry
• You don’t have to wait for full growth unlike waxing
• There is no sticky feeling, all you have is smooth skin
• It’s time-saving too, you don’t have to wait for wax to get heated up and then slowly start up with the process
• There is almost no mess created by shaving as compared to waxing
Drawbacks of Shaving
• As it takes hair out only from the surface,the results given are temporary and this is the main drawback of shaving. The hair starts growing again after a week
• We need to be careful while shaving or we might get a cut
• Never use blunt razors or shave without shaving creams/oils/body washes because it might irritate the skin
• Though you can do shaving whenever you want, I would recommend at least a 10 day gap before shaving again,one of my friend used to shave her legs very often and her skin there started looking very rough and there was redness all around,she’s still struggling :(
I hope my article helped all of you. Do tell me what method do you stick with for hair removal.
Permanent Methods to Remove Underarm Hair
Facial Hair Home Removal Tips
Lazer Hair Removal in Mumbai
Waxing vs Epilators – What do you Prefer for Hair Removal?
False Eyelashes- Application, Removal & Storage
How to Remove Tattoo at Home: Tatto Removal