Snoring is the sound which occurs when the soft palate (the back of the roof of the mouth) vibrates when it relaxes during sleep.
As a child I used to sleep with my grandmother and needless to say I had my share of sleepless nights. At first I thought that I am the only victim in the room. It was sometime later that I realised that she too did not sleep peacefully. Well how could she when I used to poke her every now and then in a desperate attempt to stop the live rock concert.
Snoring does not harm anyone physically. Yet if not treated may lead to the root cause of fatigue, exhaustion, tiredness and weakness. The reason of all this being the lack of proper sleep.
Tips to stop snoring:
• Lose weight: Extra pounds causes the neck and nasal areas to be swollen and puffy, which in turn increase the snoring problems. Losing weight can reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat and decrease the chances of vibration.
• Reposition: Elevating your upper body may ease breathing. Try a specially designed pillow to make sure your neck muscles are not crimped. Also, try sleeping on your side as it reduces the intensity of sound created while snoring.
• Quit smoking: If you smoke, your chances of snoring are high. Smoking causes increased nasal congestion and mucous in the throat area.
• Say no to alcohol: The soft tissues and muscles in the throat are relaxed with the consumption of alcohol, leading to snoring. So avoid or at least reduce the intake of alcohol.
• Keep bedroom air moist: If your have allergies or deal with sinus problem, then keep a humidifier or saline solution in your room to deal with snoring. Dry air can irritate membranes in the nose and throat.
• Don’t’ eat a big meal before going to bed.
• Try avoiding dairy products in the evening: For some people eating dairy products in the evening may increases mucus build-up in throat, which can contribute to the snoring process.
• Clear nasal passages: Having a stuffy nose makes inhalation difficult and creates a vacuum in your throat, which in turn leads to snoring. Try nasal decongestants or to help you breathe more easily while sleeping.
• Set up regular sleep patterns: Poor sleeping habits do contribute to snoring, so make an effort to establish a regular sleeping schedule and avoid snoring problem.
• In boiling water, place a bunch of sage and let it steep. Allow it to cool. Before going to bed, strain this mixture and gargle with the liquid. This will prove effective in reducing snoring.
• Instill 3-4 drops of warm brahmi ghee (clarified butter) or plain ghee in each nostril in the morning and before going to bed. It is very effective in snoring treatment.
Snoring won’t go away over night with these tips. Be a little patient and follow them regularly to combat noisy nights.
How to Deal with Midlife Crisis
Attractive Body Language
Stress Management: How to Deal with Stress
10 Great Habits for Healthy Lifestyle
Most Annoying Habits of Husbands
How to Overcome Jealousy
25 thoughts on “10 Tips to Stop Snoring During Sleep”
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
i agree on the weight part def….during my preg, being overwtg, i used to snore a bit :secret2: :secret2: …and that stopped completely when i lost the extra kgs…..
:nababana: thanks god none of us snore !
i cant sleep when someone snores! 🙁
me too neha…………..very next day of my marriage i got scared and finally knew that my Mother in law was snoring ……….. :huh:
my father in law snores too
when he comes over it gets really difficut for me! :((
ohhh i gotta tell thz to my dad :vampire: :vampire: :vampire: :vampire: :vampire:
gud one era
i start snoring whenever i gain weight. i get so conscious while sleeping during that period . :shame:
:handshake: :handshake: :handshake:
i shudder to travel during that time priya. it gets super embarrassing. 🙁 after my weight comes in control it gets fine! I dont snore anymore :))
how was you weekend?
weekend was super hectic…it was my co-sis bday …so was at their house full of children and food 😀 great fun though…..
it must be fun doing bachha parties na. :woot:
I don’t snore..but hubby does sometimes when his nose is blocked!! 😛 At that times I simply take some vicks and apply it on his nose, while he keeps on sleeping..he he he..snoring stoppps!! :toothygrin:
yeah that works cali. 😀
😛 😛 😛
I will try this tip Cali….if I need it in future 😛
Nice tips Era 😀
OMG same pinch Era..I too used to sleep with my grand mom and have had many sleepless nights becoz of her constant snoring 🙁 even i used to poke her every now and then but she used to sleep peacefully and my poking hardly made any diff to her snoring..she wud stop for few mins and again start 😛
Very nice article and I am sure its very helpful :thanks:
i dnt snore i dnt snore :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
era jeeeee lobeli pictures khi khi
era replies ?:)
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Those were great tips! One can simply reduce the snoring by more than 35% if he or she quits the intake of alcohol or stops smoking. These two addictions does nothing except making it worse.