If we go by dictionary meaning then a jet lag is a temporary disruption of bodily rhythms caused by high-speed travel across several time zones. But if you go by my definition then it is a nuisance that could spoil half of your trip.
It was not a long time back when I went on a holiday with my family. But, thanks to this stupid, stupid feeling or whatever it is called that 7 day trip was ruined. My mother and brother suffered from severe jet lag and could not enjoy as was planned. For me not enjoying on a holiday is worst than not going shopping there.
Anyway, let bygones be bygones, I am writing this article in a hope to save some of you from the tortures of jet lag, also called desynchronosis, which it inflicts upon the sufferer and all those with him/her.
Causes of jet lag:
• Crossing time zones
• Pre-flight conditions, like stress, excitement, nervousness etc
• Cabin pressure
• Lack of fresh air
• Consumption of alcohol
• Some foods and drinks, in a naturally dehydrating environment of cabin, dehydrating drinks such as tea or coffee won’t help.
Symptoms of jet lag:
• Sore throats
• Physical and mental fatigue
• Constipation or diarrhea
• Swollen limbs
• Confusion and fuzziness
• Some people also complain of heartbeat irregularities.
Tips to reduce jet lag:
• Drinking plenty of non-alcoholic fluids in the flight.
• Take quality sleep while flying.
• Engage yourself in some stretching exercises it will help you to reduce discomfort and swelling.
• Take shower after you have reached your destination. It will help to freshen you up and recover from the general effects of jet lag quickly.
• Try to adjust your body to the new time zone few days before you are scheduled to leave.
• Add a few drops of rosemary oil to ½ a cup of water and drink it. After few hours, take Valerian tea for jetlag cure.
Had I knew these tricks before I went on a holiday I would have definitely tried them on my mother and brother. Maybe could have saved some days for enjoyment then. But, I hope that they help you out if you suffer from a jet lag ever.