Ageing is a natural process but premature ageing is not! Wrong dietary habits, sedentary lifestyle, pollutants, environmental stressors, and even stress can all fast forward the ageing process and that’s why we hear about premature ageing as a common phenomenon nowadays. Age spots, fine lines, crow’s feet, wrinkles are some signs of ageing that show up if we skimp up on skincare. Botox can help, so can injecting fillers to plump up the face, but don’t worry, we are not going to talk about expensive treatments or cosmetic procedures to reverse the ageing process. However, there are some easy to follow anti-ageing tips that will turn back the clock, and in this post, we list down some of the most effective tips that does not involve botox or filler injections.
1. Invest in a Good Vitamin C Serum: Vitamin C serum works in multiple ways to prevent and reverse premature ageing – it evens out skin tone, fades hyperpigmentation and age spots, and supplies a huge dose of antioxidants. Vitamin C also maintains the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Here are some of the Most Effective Ways to Use Vitamin C for Clear Skin and here’s a detailed recipe on “How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home.”
2. Lose Weight: Yes, losing weight can actually take years off your face and body. Inflammation, which is linked to obesity, can accelerate the ageing process, and once the weight comes down with healthy eating and exercise, inflammation goes down and you would start looking younger. Follow the healthy diet programs on the Rati Beauty app to lose weight and look younger the natural way.
3. Eat Antioxidant-Rich Fruits: Eating nutrient-rich vegetables and fruits rich in antioxidants, helps to fight the free radicals that damage skin cells and cause wrinkles and lines to form. Also, your body and skin would undergo detoxification naturally and start glowing from within. Read about “15 Anti Aging Foods For Glowing Skin and Why They Work.”
4. Never Skip Sunscreen: Avoiding sunscreen can fast forward photoageing of the skin. Harsh rays of the sun cause degradation and breakdown of collagen, and can be a reason for loose and saggy skin. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with high SPF protection to keep skin looking young forever.
5. Be Active Throughout the Day: Get on your foot, be active through the day, to pump more oxygen into the body, and keep the blood circulation high, and you will never feel old – not physically and never mentally. Switch Sedentary Lifestyle with NEAT activities mentioned here.
6. Eat a Lot of Green Veggies: Leafy greens have a high amount of vitamin C, antioxidants, and essential minerals to maintain skin’s elasticity and suppleness.
7. Drink a Glass of Raw Beetroot Juice Every Day: Taken in its raw form, one can get all the nutrients from beetroot intact. In fact, it’s one of the best way to detoxify and clear out pimples and blemishes, and also to keep skin youthful. Drinking a glass of beetroot juice a day for two weeks will give you radiant skin. Also adding carrot and orange to this juice can improve the flavour and nutrient content as well
8. Stress Less: The stress hormone “cortisol” leads to collagen and elastin degradation and formation of wrinkles. Cortisol also raises inflammation and causes other signs of ageing to appear sooner than you think. Finding a hobby to indulge in, reading books, exercise, and talking with friends and family are some ways to reduce stress levels.
9. Sleep More: The body replenishes collagen when you sleep for a good amount of hours every night. Good quality sleep also helps to repair damaged skin cells. To wake up with plump skin, sleep well and at least for 7 hours every night.
10. Include Retinol in Skincare: Retinol is a star ingredient and should be in every woman’s skincare routine. Retinol boosts collagen production, makes skin smooth and supple, and improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Read all about “Retinol Products and Why You can Bank on Them.”
11. Say no To Sugar: Inflammation can directly affect collagen and elastin production which are essential fibers needed to keep skin plump, firm, and young. Once you give up sugar, you can see amazing changes in your skin, in as little time as 15 days (What Would Happen if you Stop Eating Sugar For 15 Days?).
12. Nibble on Dark Chocolate: Amazing, isn’t it? Dark chocolate with 70% cocoa or more is rich in antioxidants that improves blood circulation and protect the skin from sun damage and therefore photoageing.
13. Say no to Refined Carbs: There are complex carbs and then there are refined carbs which are absolutely bad for weight loss, and they can even cause ageing of skin by increasing inflammation. Switch to whole grains and complex carbs instead.
14. Look for Peptides and Ceramides in Skincare Products: Peptides help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and improve elasticity of the skin. Try to include skincare products with peptides and ceramides in them to boost collagen production.
15. Omega-3 Fatty Acids Are your Skin’s Best Friend: Omega-3 fatty acid can improve the texture and quality of the skin and they are abundantly found in seafood, walnuts, avocado, olive oil, etc.
16. Keep Skin Hydrated and Moisturized: Every skin type needs moisturization to maintain its suppleness and softness (even oily skin). Dry skin is more susceptible to develop fine lines and wrinkles and that’s why ingredients like hyaluronic acid in moisturizer help to retain moisture. Do check out this list of “19 Best Fragrance-Free Moisturisers for all Skin Types” to improve texture and clarity of the skin.
17. Practice Yoga: Inverted yoga poses help to supply fresh oxygen to the face and improve blood circulation all over the body, and makes skin glow from within. Sethubandasana, sarvangasana, adho mukha shvanasana are some examples of inverted yoga poses. Additionally, one can also practice facial yoga techniques as mentioned in this post (Facial Yoga Exercises for Skin).
18. Regularly Massage Face with Facial Oils: Massaging facial skin with nourishing oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil or jojoba oil improves blood circulation, promotes lymphatic drainage, and supplies nutrients to skin cells, so that it looks and feels healthy.
19. Exercise Regularly: Just 30 minutes of exercise (even brisk walking will do) can stimulate collagen production and keep skin looking young.
20. Sleep on a Satin Pillow: Sleeping on cotton pillows can create friction on skin, worsening acne condition, and causing wrinkles and fine lines. Invest in a satin and silk pillow and allow it to pamper your face while you sleep.
21. Totally Avoid Soap on Face: Most soaps are alkaline in nature and can disrupt the outermost layer of skin, which is more acidic. This disruption can deplete the natural oils and make it dry. Go completely soap free and switch to gentle cleansers instead.