WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I have been a huge fan of aromatherapy since ages.It started when I got a facial done with a mix of rose and geranium essential oils at a salon and day spa in Hyderabad. The peacefulness I felt was awesome .All most all of my beauty products will contain essential oils as much as possible. I am a fan of Lush because they use a lot of essential oils in their products which are organic n blended with right ingredients and so do the aroma magic by Blossom Kochhar. I have also studied aromatherapy in my masters as a subject hence probably I know more about it technically as well as application wise than most people. However when explaining it to others I have always had to come to a very simple definition for it. Therapy through aroma or smell. And trust me it works . That’s why a certain perfume will lift the spirits and some work as aphrodisiac.. 😉
And this is not a modern day concept. Aromatherapy dates back to the ancient Egyptians and there is evidence that even Romans used it. Our very own rose water is a by product which is produced in the process of extracting the rose essential oil from rose petals..
Definition- aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of plant aromas for beauty and health purpose
What are essential oils-?
They are the plant extracts which contain anticeptics,antibiotics,vitamins,or hormones and are located between a plant’s cell and cause the pant’s fragrance. they are extracted ( distilled) from plant for use in beauty treatments.essentail oils are not true oils such as coconut oil, sunflower oil etc. rather they are highly complex molecular structures that contain many chemical compounds. the chemical compound exhibit numerous properties. They have worked for various skin and hair need and conditions.
Function of essential oils-
Essential oils benefit several parts of the body including skin, nervous system, muscles, blood and the lymphatic system. They are sometimes used in a serum , day creams ,night creams or in face masks and toners. In salons and spas they might be added in base oil and massaged or used in body wraps and body scrubs to take the experience to a new level..
How to use Essential Oils
- Essential oils are available in pure single form in dark colored bottles. Note that not all essential oils available in market are pure and organic..
- Always use pure and organic essential oils to get the maximum therapeutic effect.
- While using always use pure and organic cold pressed oils from known source.
- However one should never directly use essential oil over skin or take it internally.
- They are very potent and strong hence should always be diluted in base oils and then used.
- They should be always used in drops for home use and different droppers should be used for different essential oils.
- One should never mix the droppers or use one dropper for all essential oils.
- They are very volatile i.e. they evaporate very fast hence the bottle cap should always be tight and closed when not in use.
- They should also be kept away from sunlight because sun rays react with these oils and they loose their efficacy.
- All essential oils have shelf life after which they loose their properties after which they can only be used as room fresheners etc.(another article on that )
- Never use metal spoon or metal plate, katori while mixing essential oils and base oils. Always use glass bowls for mixing
- Never mix and keep the blend for hours together. The essential oils keep evaporating even when mixed with base oils hence when u need to use them use fresh
- If you do need to store. Store them in dark colored non used glass bottles with preferred aluminum caps and store them away from sunlight
The base or oils in which the essential oils are mixed and applied are known as base oils. They should always be pure organic and cold pressed. One should use base oils according to skin types eg olive oil for normal to dry skin, jojoba oil for oily combination, acne prone skin. Coconut oil for hair usage along with sesame oil, castor oil can also be used for hair recipes. Almond oil is for all skin types however best avoided by acne prone skin. Some popular base oils are- olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, almond oil, safflower oil, jojoba oil etc
Companies which use essential oils in their products-
- Aroma magic
- Dr Jain
- Fab India
- Fresh line cosmetics (available only in Delhi as of now)
- H20 plus
- Carol’s daughter
- Juice beauty
- And many more
Another article on properties of 12 essential oils, their effect. These are oils with no contraindications hence will tell more about them and can be used in general and some recipes with the 12 oils for skin hair and therapeutic usage. Until then
Love and light