Skipping a sunscreen is not option anymore because summers are here! In fact, sunscreen should be part of your skincare routine all through the year, not just in summers or something to be applied only when stepping outside. Without a good sunscreen, there’s a high risk of getting tan, sunburn, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, age spots, melasma, leathery skin, keratosis, and solar elastosis. Unprotected exposure to harmful rays from sun, particularly, UVB rays can cause sunburns whereas UVA rays are more dangerous because they can penetrate the lower layers of the skin and can trigger premature ageing, hyperpigmentation, tanning, wrinkles, etc. Ideally, you should look for physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which act as physical blockers and do not get absorbed into the skin. Looking for paraben-free options is a good idea, but we are probably overlooking an ingredient which can irritate and cause inflammation on all skin types, and it’s “added fragrance/perfume.” So, here’s a list of “10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India” to check out. Coming back to the main topic, tan and sunburn are immediate outcomes of skipping sunscreen, so here are some amazing tips to follow to avoid tan after sun exposure.
1. Don’t Unfriend Sunscreen: As we have mentioned earlier, use a good sunscreen while going out. Apply it 30 minutes before you step outside and re-apply every three hours. Apart from sunscreen, use a scarf to keep your face covered.
2. Apply Fresh Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe vera is a magical ingredient, works to treat every skincare woe. Aloe vera gel is cool and soothing on the skin, can be applied directly and can also be kept overnight to remove tan and clear complexion as well.
3. Papaya, Honey, and Turmeric Face Pack: Papaya is packed with essential vitamins and antioxidants. The enzymes in papaya work well to lighten and add a glow to the skin. Papaya is rich in Vitamin A and C and along with with turmeric/kasturi manjal/ambi haldi), works to remove tan and lighten skin. The best thing about this face pack is that you can see instant results and regular use will clear off tan completely. Honey has skin moisturizing and healing properties. To make this face pack, mash a few pieces of papaya, add a pinch of turmeric, and 1 tbsp of honey. Mix well, apply on the face, keep for 20 minutes, and rinse off. Do this routine twice or thrice a week.
4. Yogurt Face Pack: Plain yogurt soothes sunburn and the lactic acid content and enzymes fade away tan as well. The mild bleaching effect of yogurt because of its acidic property removes skin tan efficiently, keeps the blemishes away, and leaves your skin supple and properly moisturized. Apply directly on face, keep for 20 minutes, and rinse with normal water.
5. Cucumber and Potato Face Pack: Extract fresh juice from cucumber and potato and apply all all over face with the help of a cotton ball. Cucumber has cooling properties, also soothes and relieves redness and inflammation. Potato helps to clear uneven skin tone and tan.
6. Multani Mitti and Rose Water Pack: Multani mitti is a natural tan-removing agent and suits oily and acne-prone skin the best. It application helps to keep skin matte and shine-free and also adds radiance and glow to the skin. To make this pack, mix multani mitti with rose water and form a thick paste. Apply it on the skin and keep it for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off thoroughly. Use this mask thrice a week for tan-treatment.
7. We have an excellent DIY Tan Removal Pack with Tomato, Carrot Juice and Detox Water. Full recipe in this post.