It’s one of life’s big fat mystery! Even after working out every single day of the week, doing multiple rounds of sneaky ab exercises without fail, that dreaded belly fat is still there! A majority of people confess that the first place that they want to get rid of excess fat is around from their waist area, and when that does not happen even with intense exercise, it can be extremely disappointing. Belly fat can be of two types – subcutaneous fat (layer beneath the skin) and visceral fat (around the muscles and around abdominal organs). Visceral fat is considered dangerous because it puts a person at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and other life-threatening disorders. Belly fat is considered extremely stubborn because it hardly budges with intense exercise and dieting. Adding to the woes, spot reduction is a myth and triggering away meltdown of belly fat is not possible doing ab exercises alone. Elaborating the fat-burning process, breakdown of fat happens through a process called “lipolysis.” Catecholamines, like adrenaline and noradrenaline, which are released during intense exercise, help to break down stored fat in the body, by getting inside fat cells and attaching themselves to alpha or beta receptors on these cells, and mobilize the fat molecules from within. These fatty acids are then utilized as fuel for the body to use up to gain energy. The fat cells that have beta receptors get readily involved in the fat burning process while those with alpha receptors don’t respond actively. That’s why, belly fat, which is comprised mainly of fat cells with more alpha receptors do not get stimulated by lipolysis much. That’s why, we list down 10 reasons you have belly fat even with daily exercise, and you can get a flat stomach only by tackling these issues first.
1. There’s Still Transfat in your Diet: Fried foods, margarine, certain baked goodies, junk food contain transfat that not only shoot up calories, they build fat around the abdomen, and here’s the bummer, they move fat from other areas of the body to the belly area! Totally avoid them by reading ingredients list of packaged and processed food.
2. You Have Chronic Inflammation: Inflammation makes the body insulin resistant, and as a result, pancreas continuously pumps up insulin to lower blood sugar levels. Insulin, apart from being a blood sugar regulating hormone, is also a fat-storage hormone which triggers the creation of new fat cells. So, inflammation triggers insulin resistance, which in turn leads to more insulin production, and larger creation of fat cells which converts all extra calories into fat, and the preferred place of storage is the belly area. Now, here’s how you can reduce inflammation in the body to reduce belly fat.
3. You Do Not Healthy Fats in your Diet: Make a conscious effort to include omega-3 fatty acids your diet. Nuts, seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, fish oil are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids that improve insulin sensitivity and help flatten the belly.
4. You Are Suffering From Chronic Stress: High levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, increases insulin resistance, and buildup of fat around the waist. Find ways to destress to cut the flab effectively, from going for a walk, to learning a new hobby, to just listening to music – anything that helps calm jittery nerves is perfect.
5. There’s a Lot of Added Sugar in your Diet: Just giving up white sugar is not enough to melt away belly fat – you need to identify and eliminate added sugar completely for flat abs. Every time you eat something with added sugar, insulin, a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels rises to regulate blood glucose, but it’s also a fat-storage hormone which helps the body to store fat predominantly in the belly region. Once you go without added sugar for 15 days, along with regular exercise and dieting, you can see significant weight loss. Tomato sauce, jam, candied fruits, fruit juices, soft drinks, low-fat food are some examples added sugar is sneaking into your daily diet. In fact, here’s “How to Cut Back on Added Sugar to Lose Weight.”
6. You Are Sleep Deprived: We say sleep tight for 7 to 8 hours straight. It’s a fact that people who sleep for less than 5 hours every night tend to put on more abdominal fat compared to those who complete 7 or more hours of shut eye.
7. Love Give up Refined Carbs and White Sugar: These are two primary reasons why someone gains bulge around the belly area. Refined carbs and sugar cause insulin resistance and that leads to
increase in waist circumference.
8. You Love Pastries/Cakes/Cupcakes: High in sugar, refined carbs, and high amount of empty calories, the calories from these food items stall the fat-burning process, particularly of belly fat.
9. Soft Drinks/Fizzy Beverages are your Favorite Drinks: With high number of empty calories, and also with high sugar content, it not only leads to overall weight gain, but also increase in belly fat. Additionally, they contain artificial flavours, colors, and preservatives. These fruit juices pump a high amount of glucose and carbs into the body which inevitably get stored as belly fat.
10. Over-Indulgence in Fat-Free Foods: Contrary to popular belief, fat-free foods aren’t that healthy. In fact, healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids contribute to the fat-burning process. In the absence of fats, companies add a lot of sugar to compensate for the bland taste when fat content is ripped off. Rather that going fat-free, pick healthy fats, avoid transfat and saturated fat.
Most importantly, you are probably not on the right kind of weight loss diet. Make no mistake, the right kind of diet will target both subcutaneous, visceral and belly fat. In fact, Rati Beauty diet helps yo lose overall weight and reduce the circumference of the waist as well.