While being on the weight loss journey, experts advice to consume foods that are very low in calories and that includes fruits and vegetables. It also undoubtedly implies that you must cut down on foods which are higher in calories like refined carbs such as bread, pasta and potatoes. Among all these foods, it is not very easy to reduce intake of breads mostly because a majority of us love to eat bread. It is a well-known fact that white bread is not very good for weight loss and should be avoided under all circumstances if you are serious about losing weight. But don’t be disheartened because cutting down on white bread doesn’t mean you have to stop consuming all kinds of bread. Not all breads are bad for weight loss as they vary from each other on the glycemic index (GI) scale and also on the calorific value. So, you must know which breads to encourage eating for weight loss. Today’s topic will be based just on breads that are not bad for the weight loss process. We will enlist some of the best breads that you can try to put your weight gain under check. Take a look:
What parameters should you look for in breads that are good for weight loss?
White carbs are bad and so is white bread. So, does that mean you should skip white bread completely? Well, white bread isn’t good for weight loss, so you should look for breads that contain whole wheat or whole grains in them. Don’t be fooled by the marketing strategies of some brands which use healthy-sounding words, like “natural” or “multigrain” for white bread. To stop you from being fooled by slick marketing strategies, we will tell you what are the parameters that you should look for before buying weight-loss friendly breads.
- You should go for “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” breads.
- A bread slice should ideally have at least 3 grams of fiber.
- Don’t buy bread which contains more than 3 gm of sugar.
- You should also check for hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners in the ingredient list of your bread. If it contains any of the following, simply skip buying that.
So, which breads can you eat when you are trying to lose weight?
In this section, we will enlighten you about the breads that would not upset your weight loss cart 😛
- Ezekiel Bread: This bread is a pure assortment of organic, sprouted whole grains containing several different types of grains and legumes. Also, it is completely sugar free. It also contains a high amount of protein due to the presence of two types of sprouted beans in its ingredients list. Along with keeping your blood sugar levels under check, this also helps in reducing satiety levels. You can find this bread at any supermarket.
- Wholemeal bread: This bread is far better for weight loss when compared to white bread since it comes free of processed flour. It is made from a more unrefined version of flour that contains relatively higher amounts of fibre, vitamins and minerals. Other than that, this bread scores lower on the GI index than white bread which implies that eating this bread will reduce your hunger cravings and will benefit you on your weight loss journey. Before buying, you should consider 100% whole wheat flour on the label, 3 grams of fibre and 3 grams of sugar per slice.
- Wholegrain bread: This is another class of healthy bread option that you can eat for weight loss. Being made from 100% whole grains, this bread is much low on calorific value than white bread. It also has greater nutritional benefits and contains good amount of fiber. For this bread as well, you should look for 3 grams of fibre and 3 grams of sugar per slice.
- Sourdough bread: This is one of the best types of bread for people who are eager to shed off extra pounds. Want to know why? It outperforms wholegrain and whole meal breads in reducing hunger cravings. This bread is prepared by fermenting the dough for several days and hence has a long-lasting action on the body.
- Flaxseed Bread: Another great option for people trying to lose weight. This bread has huge nutritional benefits as it comes loaded with useful vitamins and minerals like manganese, potassium and selenium, essential fatty acids, dietary fiber and phytoestrogens. It helps the body to easily burn calories and repels storage of body fat. Anyway, if you love flaxseeds, you can easily incorporate this bread in your diet.
- Rye Bread: This bread can also a healthy choice for you as it is rich in fibre, protein, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, vitamin B-1, folic acid, thiamine, niacin and antioxidants. Consumption of this bread reduces stomach bloating and helps to reduce body fat. It is also wheat free, so it contains more fibers and has lesser calorific value than white bread.
- Oat Bread: Want to reduce consumption of carbohydrate and fat content? Then, oat bread is a healthy choice for your meals. Not only does it contain a good amount of carbohydrates in its ingredients list, it also aids slower digestion. You should eat oat bread instead of regular bread. This helps you to keep fuller for long and engage in less eating.
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread: An ideal choice for people who want essential vitamins and minerals in their bread. This bread helps to reduce the risk of cholesterol and high blood sugar. It also adds lesser calories than regular bread and encourages less weight gain.
- Brown Rice Bread: Anything brown is great for the body. Just like brown rice, even brown rice bread is also a healthy sort of bread for you. It reduces satiety index and keep you full of energy by controlling intake of calories and unwanted sugar in your diet. You can try this for weight loss.
- Gluten-free Bread: If you are trying to lose weight, intake of gluten-free products is encouraged. So, you can surely try this for weight management.
Which bread are you planning to try for your weight loss journey? Let us know in the comments section below.