Since the year is ending today, I couldn’t find better post to write today. Here are my favourite Indian/ International products that I discovered this year. Enjoy!
1. Colorbar Duo Mascara– It lengths. It volumes. It does not clump. It’s water resistant. It holds the curls and it looks natural. My makeup is incomplete without it. Love it! Check application HERE
2. Colorbar Eye Define Eye Pencil Truffle: It’s non clumpy. If you are a bacteria freak, this pencil gives you an option to sharpen it. It’s a very unusual kind of brown.I have not seen this kind of brown in Indian makeup brands yet. It has a long staying power. It’s non smudgy. One the best products I have discovered this year.
3. Colorbar Blusher in Peachy Rose So far, these are my holy grail blushes. If Colorbar comes up with more colours, I could buy more of them 😛 Review HERE
4. Lush Helping Hands: A great hand cream find for this year. 🙂 Review HERE
5. Lakme Bridal Sutra ENrich Matte Colour in 216 : This is one liptick that I reach for the most. It works well for me but it didn’t work for Rima. Read her views in comments HERE. Take this one with a grain of salt.
6. Lakme Bridal Sutra Eye Artist (Rs 375): I was kinda confused between choosing this or Colorbar’s Perfect Edge Marker Pen (Rs 450), I liked the texture and colour of Lakme’s Eye Artist Better. It didn’t disappoint me at all. Unlike other Lakme eyeliners, it’s glossy and shiny. You can make winger liners, double winged liners or the perfect eyeliner with this. It’s also long staying and non messy. Not a disappointment at all. Just store it upside down. 🙂
7. Mac Mineralize Satinfinish SPF-15 FOundation This is my holy grail foundation for this year. Super love it! Read about it HERE and HERE.
8. Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Natural – Another great find this year. I use it all the time to set my foundation or just on bare skin with concealer. It feels like nothing on your skin and it does its job well of giving you an even beautiful looking skin.’ My only disappointment with Mac Mineralize Skin finish Natural was that it didn’t come with any puff , brush or mirror. I mean you pay 1400 bucks and don’t get such basic stuff along with it. Shame!
9. FabIndia Rose Facial Spray: I find this better than Dabur Guabari. I have seen what a major difference Fab India’s Facial Spray makes on my skin. It’s my must have. Review HERE
10. Lakme Jewel Sindhoor in Maroon:Only one word. Mwwwwaaah! It has so sorted my life. Review HERE
11. Himalaya Kajal : I liked it more than Biotique’s Almond Kajal. It’s super black, shiny and herbal.
13. Maybelline Watershine lipsloss in crystal clear (Rs 175): This is again must have, I barely use lip glosses now because mostly I find them a waste of money. Lip glosses don’t have a staying power and that really bugs me.I rather buy lots of lipsticks and one clear gloss. Maybelline’s water shine works wonders for me. I also like Colorabar’s Juicy Candy Lip Gloss. I have Just Berry from Colorbar’s Range. 🙂
So gurlies, what have been your favourite five in the year 2009?
Would love to know so that I have reasons to shop your favs. 😛
I recently checked Maxfactor’s foundations and they are awesome. Especially Maxfactor’s Miracle touch would just give you that flawless fairy look. The foundations are in the range of Rs 450-700 range. I am just no too covinced with the colour range. The foundations are available in four shades but if you get your right shade, I think they would become one your your essentials. In Delhi, MaxFactor is available at Kunchals- GK-1 M Block and Rajouri Garden. I am not sure whether Max factor has only four shades in foundations or is it that we have four shades available in India.
Wish you all a very Happy New Year ! 🙂
28 thoughts on “Best of Indian Makeup and Beauty -Year 2009”
Hey! Nice list! I completely agree on the Colorbar Truffle pencil..
Actually everything in your list is quite good.. & sound like good products to invest in (except Kajal – I don’t wear kajal, unless i am going for a goth look, doesn’t go with my eye & skin color)..
will def be trying out the colorbar blush, lakme sindoor and fabindia rose water soon! 😀
Happy New Year! Have a great year ahead! Looking forward to reading more awesome posts from you in the coming year… 😀
wow..most of them are colorbar..
Ive never tried their blushes.. n now thats here..im ready to check out with it..
and il try to make a post of my favs as well… 😛
and happy new year hun.. 😀
Tanveer, Glad you liked the list. I know what you are saying about Kajal. My mom is as fair as you are and the basic kajal doesn’t suit her too much. 🙂
You too have a great NewYear sweez. I am glad I started this blog. I am enjoying the whole process. 🙂
Belle: Would love to see your list. I like Colorbar because the products are good and not the kinds that would hurt your pocket if you end up buying a wrong one.
You must try the blushes, especially the Peachy Pink. 🙂
yeah .. colobar blushes are good .. even i have da same color peachy pink .. really flattering on me !
will check out some products . i already have I-define pencil in black .. n I like it .. buh it aint my HG 🙁
I really like the colorbar pencils. My only complain is that I wish they were creamier. I like to smudge my liner a but but it get difficult to do with these lineers as they are completely smuge proof. The creaminess would have also sorted out the smudge problem.
Not my HG as well but I can say I like them a lot. 🙂
hey is himalaya kajal smudge proof?i was using botique kajal & in summer i stopped using it bcoz its getting kind of melted,i hate it
Himalaya Kajal smudges. 🙂
Although the Lotus one also smudges but I have found that among all the kajals out there, it smudges the least.
i think i m not going 2 buy kajal anymore bcoz of smudging.i have ordered duo eyeline in oriflame. black & white in one.anyways thx.have a nice day.bye.
let me know your views on it. Not used oriflame too much. 🙂
I’ve only tried some of yr favs…I wanted to buy the Lakme Eye Artist but the tester was in such bad condition that it turned me off 😐
U n Tanveer keep raving about Colorbar Truffle that I also want to check it out now 🙂
I know how testers can be such a let down and can change your buying decision about a product. You must surely check out truffle. It would go well with your brown eyes. 🙂
hey, have u bought any sort online from the colorbar site? how does it work?
I have no bought stuff from their site becasue it’s available at every other shop near me. But I know how it works.
1. You need to be a registered member of their site.
2. I guess they ship only in India.
3. For shipping to Delhi, they charge only Rs 30 for your whole package.
4. You can pay by credit card.
And that’s it. Happy hopping. 🙂 Just go and register.
thnks for the prompt reply… i’m based in blore… and jus loved the Colorbar Eye Define Eye Pencil in Truffle… but don’t know where in blore its available… cant spend too long shopping as i have a lil kid @ home… so thot it wud be easier ordering it online
Oh Susy, then I guess you must shop it online. Truffle is gorgeous colour. 🙂 I also have a midnight black, it is the blackest black I have ever tried. If you like loads of kohl in your eyes (like I do) , I guess you can give that a try as well.
If you need any other help mail at email@example.com
Hi Rati, have you tried Lakme Souffle (Face Magic) – I would love to get some review on it and what is the best way of applying it. I have acne prone skin and still haven’t found a good daily wear foundation that I can wear to work without causing breakouts.
Hi Asli Nakli,
I have used Lakme Souffle for quite some time but I have stopped using it now. It is a very sheer tinted moisturizer kind of product. It might not hide your belmishes or enything but it would just even out your skintone. The product gives you a dewy look but I would not recommend it for summers. I didn’t find it very long wearing product for the whole day and it used to turn orangish after a few hours. It’s a light product if you want a no makeup look.
If you are using the product, I suggets tht you carry your compact with you so that you could do touch ups.
Apply the product using your finger tips rather than a sponge or a brush. The product is so light the sponge or a brush would drink/ eat most of it. 😛
A better option would be Pond’s tinted moisturiser : http://www.ponds.co.in/Products.aspx?ProductName=Pond%27s%20Age%20Miracle™%20Anti-Ageing%20Tinted%20Moisturizer%20UV%20SPF%2015%20PA++&ProductID=10&SubSectionID=20
It also has the SPF so you wouldn’t need a sunscreen, atleast for winters.
Very useful blog! Don’t know how I missed it for so long 🙂
I too liked the kajal and fabindia rosewater. Must try the colorbar products – I am a Lakme Loyal 😉
This is out of context, but can you recommend a fairness cream with a broad spectrum sunscreen (with PA+ and spf 30 or higher) for my 19 year old sister? She sweats a lot, and cannot apply most creams. But her skin is getting dark as she stays out for long in the sun.
Welcome to my blog. I am glad you found it useful. 🙂 I was also a Lakme fan but now I have shifted. The quality seems to be deteriorating now. 🙁 I can proudly say that I am a colorbar fan now and would suggest the same to you.
Regarding sunscreens, I have actually not found my holy grail sunscreen as yet. I have tried a lot of sunscreens as yet but nothing seem to satisfy me fully as yet. These days I am hearing a lot about Neutrogena and Nivea sunscreens but I have not tried that. These days I am using Lotus Sunscreen in SPF 40 but I have also used their SPF 20 and liked that more than the SPF 40 one.
Here my few suggestions for your li’l sis
1. Apply sunscreen atleast 20 minutes before stepping out in sun. If you apply sunscreen and step out instantly, the sunscreen would not only become ineffective but also would prove to be harmful for your skin.
2. Reapply the sunscreen every 2-3 hours. Although the sunscreens claim to be waterproof but they actually become ineffective after a few hours.
3. For double protection, Lotus has a sunscreen face wash in their range. She can apply that followed by a sunscreen.
4. For detanning here’s a trick. It works great for me. Add one teaspoon of curd in half teaspoon of lemon juice. Work the paste on the tanned area for a minute or two and then rinse it off with water. This might not detan instantly but the regular use would lighten the skin.
Hope that helps. 🙂
Thanks! I didn’t know sunscreen can become ineffective! Do let me know if you like the neutrogena sunscreens. I have been eyeing their ultrasheer and fine fairness cream for sometime, but haven’t yet tried them.
As for nivea, I used their sunscreen body lotion last year, and it was a waste of money. Wouldn’t recommend. Will recommend lotus to my sister and see how it goes…
Any reasons why you liked the spf 20 better than spf 40?
Oh great, this means Nivea does out of my list now. 🙂 I am using Nutrogena’s fine fairness eye cream and it has proved to be effective. My dark circles have lightened.
I used SPF 20 while I was in Goa. Although I got tanned and all but I got absolutely no burns or skin problems. Also the texture of SPF 20 is lighter than SPF 40. I am little biased towards the colours of the creams as well. SPF 20 is nice baby pinky cream and SPF 40 is this chocolate brown cream, just like foundation. Every time I apply it it feels I am putting a heavy base on my face, which yuks me at time. I have not tested SPF 40 in extreme conditions but I have had no skin issues with it as yet. So you can try either actually.
If poss can you do a review on Lakme Eye Artist Pen or a general post on eye pens?
I have been seeing these pens in almost all brands but have no idea how to use them and the looks they would go with, tht wld give me a better idea if I shd get this. 😀
For sure Tanveer. The other day some one else was asking me about it. Give me a day or two. Stuck with loads of work this week. 🙂
pls prepare an article like dis for 2011 too:|
i would. i think i did for 2010 as well. 🙂
rati ek qns poochana hai….simple query…. ?:)
please go ahead. 🙂