The news of Sonali Bendre being diagnosed with cancer broke our hearts. Even the news of Tahira Kashyap, wife of Ayushman Khurana battling breast cancer came as a blow to the fans. We, as fans, wish them speedy recovery and our prayers will always be a source of support to our favourite stars. This is not the first time Bollywood stars have been plagued by this deadly disease. In the past, there were many Indian celebrities who have fought cancer valiantly and have emerged victorious. We will talk about all those real heroes in this article. It will surely be an inspiration for all those battling this harsh ordeal with painful treatment procedur. Here goes the list of stars who have carried the baggage of this disease and have defeated it victoriously. These bollywood stars who were victims of cancer and survived. This post is dedicated to all cancer survivors.
1. Manisha Koirala: This Nepali princess and Bollywood actress was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 42, but fought this tough phase with a smile on her face. She was treated in a New York hospital and often shared pictures of her chemotherapy on social media. As a side effect of the disease, she even suffered total hair loss, but never lost hope. Finally, she won her battle against cancer in 2015. Manisha conquered the disease like a true heroine and became cancer-free. Her recent flick was Sanjay Dutt’s biopic ‘Sanju’ where she played the role of late Nargis Dutt.
2. Lisa Ray: The Canadian-born Lisa Ray, who is a model-turned-actress has appeared in films like ‘Hanste Khelte’, ‘Kasoor’, ‘Water’, ‘Bollywood Hollywood’ and ‘Veerappan’. She was diagnosed with multiple myeloma (a cancer of plasma cells) in 2009. Initially, she kept her disease a secret from the prying eyes of the media and fought it alone. After a year of fighting with the disease, she finally emerged victorious in 2010. She shared her experience where she bravely announced to the world that she was free of cancer after the successful treatment involving stem cell transplant. This tough phase of life couldn’t change her outlook about the same. She also mentioned that the disease could be treated and it’s not the end of the road for people suffering from it.
3. Anurag Basu: This ace director of Bollywood has given some of the biggest hits like Gangster, Life in a Metro and Barfi. But not many of us know that he is a cancer-survivor. Do you know that Anurag Basu was diagnosed with blood cancer? After he was diagnosed, he was given a living period of only 2 months by the doctors. But his spirit remained undeterred and instead of taking complete bed rest, he continued with direction of movies. The ‘Jagga Jasoos’ director didn’t give up and fought it out bravely to come out as a winner. He is surely an inspiration to all patients battling cancer.
4. Mumtaz: She is a legendary actress who who has starred in many memorable films. She was 54 years when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent surgeries and treatment for a long time. Despite having the deadly disease, she decided to fight and underwent several chemo sessions before becoming free of it at the age of 54. Mumtaz didn’t give up and today at the age of 65, she is living a healthy, cancer-free life. Not many have the courage to fight like her. One of her popular sayings goes like this: “I don’t give up easily. Even death will have to fight me.”
5. Mamtha Mohandas: Mamtha began her acting journey playing the character of a cancer patient. This movie was a huge success, but she had to play out that role in her real life. Mamtha was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in 2010, a cancer that affects the body’s lymph nodes. In the same year, she was awarded Filmfare Award for Best Actress. This actress fought against all odds to win over the disease and got cancer-free in 2015. This star proved that she is made of metal by battling cancer and returning back to her career in full fledge.
6. Gautami: Gautami Tadimalla is a well-known face in South Indian movies. She has acted in a few Bollywood films like ‘Trimurti’, ‘Aadmi’, ‘God And Gun’. This ace beauty has been a victim of breast cancer but she decided to fight it bravely and maintained her composure throughout. Today, she inspires many and runs awareness campaign regarding this disease.
7. Barbara Mori: Do you remember the gorgeous Spanish actress Barbara Mori who starred in ‘Kites’ opposite Hrithik Roshan? It was much before the shoot commencement of Kites that she got diagnosed with cancer. She fought this deadly disease and portrayed her valiant side. Barbara emerged victorious and got was cured of the disease completely. It was during the shooting of Kites that Barbara Mori and Anurag Basu came together and bonded well. Interestingly, both are cancer survivors.
8. Yuvraj Singh: India emerged victorious in the 2011 World Cup, cricket fans in India were shocked and saddened by Yuvraj Singh’s cancer diagnosis. Yuvi was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his left lung. After going through rigorous chemotherapy sessions, the all-rounder was sent home in April 2012 and joined back the Indian team. Yuvraj Singh’s positive attitude kept him going and finally his determination made him won the battle. He made a comeback as a stronger individual and also documented his journey with the book: ‘The Test of My Life: From Cricket to Cancer and Back’. He has been active in spreading awareness about cancer.
9. Sonali Bendre: Sonali Bendre has switched on the sunshine like no one else. This beautiful woman has become a role model for everyone by undergoing the painful cancer treatment with a smile on her face. She has inspired all to see the bright side of things. Her cancer journey and treatment details are updated by the actress herself on instagram because she has stated that she wants to be in charge of her narrative, hats off Sonali, we love you!
10. Irrfan Khan: This actor par excellence who has proved his mettle both in bollywood and hollywood declared through twitter that he had a rare form of neuroendocrine tumor and would be undergoing treatment for the disease in London. After prolonged treatment, he is back in India and resting while movie offers are piling outside his door.
Hope you found these real-life heroes inspiring, just as we did.