Boss Intense Eau de Parfum for Women by Hugo Boss Review
Boss Intense EDP for Women by Hugo Boss holds a special place in my heart as this was gifted by my husband on my birthday; emotional reasons aside, I also decided to do this review because of how much I’m in love with the scent.
Before I get into the things I love (and what I don’t), here are the basics:
Top notes: Spice, Kumquat, Ozone Accord
Middle notes: Vanilla Orchids, Turkish Rose
Base notes: Amber, Woods, Musk, Patchouli
Price: 3 oz./90 ml about 4475/- (you can usually get this for around 3800/- to 4,000/- online; can be purchased for less from sites such as eBay)
I am not sure about the Indian market prices of the smaller size bottles (a 1.7 oz. and a 1 0z. bottle) as I have not seen these pack sizes anywhere in our stores. The only one available in all stores I have been to is the 3 oz. or 90 ml bottle.
Boss Intense was launched in the year 2003 by Hugo Boss and is packaged in a slender, tall deep red and black dual toned bottle. When it first came out, this perfume was marketed as a fragrance for a woman with initiative, a woman who is sexy and in charge; “an intensely feminine and sensual fragrance with a sophisticated edge that makes it distinct.”
Let’s now jump straight to the pros and cons:
Pluses of Boss Intense Eau de Parfum for Women by Hugo Boss:
• Scent: Is it surprising that the first thing that matters to me above and beyond the packaging and also the brand is the scent. On me, I can mostly smell vanilla and orchid with a hint of spice and fruit. It starts off with almost sort of a masculine smell and then mellows down to a warm vanilla, slightly floral smell throughout the course of the day. Don’t be put off by the masculine smell part. It is very feminine at the same time too which makes the contrast quite interesting.
• “Ladylike”, not “girly”: It is a fragrance for the modern woman; understated yet classy and elegant. Perfect for everyday wear especially if you are a working woman. I am utterly put off by perfumes that are too floral or fruity. They tend to give me headaches and make me dizzy. I am so glad this is not a “girly” perfume and comes across as a very “ladylike” scent. In fact, for some people, it might be bordering on dull but that’s what I like in my perfumes: complex, dark and not too sweet.
• Lasting power: It lasts about 6-7 hours on me and I just spray it twice. It doesn’t remain as strong as it is when you first put it on, but turns into a very alluring scent that’s noticeable even after a few hours.
• Good deal: IMO, this perfume is totally worth the money. A 90 ml. bottle will last a very long time and I love that it serves as my multi-purpose fragrance: I can even use the same perfume for a night out. Works great for both office time as well as evening wear.
• Great for gifting: For the packaging and price, I think it’s a great gift for all the special ladies in our lives.
• Compliments: Did I mention how many compliments I get on this perfume? Numerous times, I have been told by family and friends alike that I smell nice, all thanks to Boss Intense. It’s also highly addictive. Once applied, it’s hard to not keep smelling your wrists every chance you get.
• Bottle: The packaging is quite nice and goes on well with the theme of the perfume itself: classy and elegant. I like the triangular shape of the bottle and also like that it doesn’t take up a whole lot of space on my dressing table. I also like the deep dark red and black dual colored bottle which gives a very mysterious appeal to the fragrance.
Minuses of Boss Intense Eau de Parfum for Women by Hugo Boss:
• Packaging: Even though I mentioned above that I like the shape and color of the bottle, it is nothing spectacular. It works for me but could have been more attractive.
• Not for younger girls: I can totally see how girls of a younger age group can find this perfume boring. This is not for someone who prefers fresh, floral and fruity fragrances. Boss Intense is a dark mysterious scent and personally, I feel more suited for women above 25.
• Intense, not intense: If one goes solely by the name of this perfume, you’d think this would be quite a strong, loud scent. However, I don’t think the name “Intense” is justified. It’s actually quite a rich, subtle scent and don’t know what Hugo Boss were thinking when they came up with this name.
Rating: 4 out of 5
This is one of the best perfumes I have ever used (Thanks hubby dear, good choice!). I just love the edgy sophistication of this scent and I would be buying this over and over (one bottle lasts a long time, though!) until and unless I find something that’s better than Boss Intense (my search so far continues) both in terms of fragrance as well as price. I am taking a point off because of a somewhat “plain” packaging and because it’s not suitable for non-office, non-work, casual days.
Femme By Boss for Women Eau De Parfum – Hugo Boss
How To Choose The Right Perfume
Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom Perfume
Clinique Happy Heart Perfume Info
DKNY Be Delicious Perfume
Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Perfume for Women
Lancome Miracle Perfume