Facial hair is an issue that many women have nightmares about. Unwanted facial hair can come in your way of smooth and soft skin. There are many ways to get rid of unwanted facial hair – waxing, tweezing, threading, electrolysis, and laser removal. Waxing is a time-consuming ritual but it is something no woman can think of missing. These days, women have started considering new ways of hair removal that can be done at home other than just waxing or shaving, and one of them is epilation. While using this procedure to get hair-free skin on hands, legs or bikini area is a common thing, majority of women are wary about using epilator on their face. This is because of the usual conception that epilation is a painful method. So, the common question regarding facial hair removal is, “can I epilate my face?” and “Is epilation safe for the face?” These are the questions that we will answer in today’s post. Keep reading.
What is Epilation?
It is a well-known fact that most of us opt for waxing to remove body hair. This method is messy and almost all of us prefer to get it done from a salon professional. Epilation, which is another method of hair removal is a huge relief compared to conventional process of waxing. This process uses an epilator which is an electric device with wheels that spins and uses a tweezer mechanism to pluck out hair from its root when pressed against the skin. The process is really effective as it can easily pluck out even the smallest of hair and give you smooth and soft finish.
Do you Experience Pain with Epilation?
If you are a newbie to the process of epilation, then yes, you will experience pain with epilation. However, the degree of pain experienced depends on the thickness of your hair growth and also on the body part where you are using epilation. The pain of course is bearable and once you get to this process, the pain will not bother you anymore.
What are the Benefits of Epilation?
So, is epilation really worth it? You would be elated to know the after effects of epilation. When you go for hair epilation, your hair grows back slow and finer. Along with it, you get to experience a hair-free smooth skin that extends up to 4 weeks, something which is hard to get with traditional waxing or shaving. Moreover, you can do it easily at the comfort of your home at any time of the day without creating any mess.
Can you Epilate Facial Hair?
You can epilate any part of your body, even your face. But before you epilate your face, you must also know that our face is really soft and sensitive compared to other parts of the body. Epilation may cause irritation or infection if you don’t do it the right way. Not to forget, the pain that comes with it is considerable. Once, you know about the right steps for facial epilation, you can as well achieve a smooth hairless finish on your face. Here, we will tell you how to do it correctly.
Should I Invest in a Facial Epilator?
One of the first step towards a smooth and mess-free facial epilation is to invest in a facial epilator. Obviously, you can use the same epilator to remove hair from the face like you have used on your body, but it is always a wise choice to buy a dedicated facial epilator. This is because regular epilators are often bulky and hard to navigate around smaller areas. They also have much wider heads which makes epilation troublesome to be used on smaller parts of face. This problem is solved by a facial epilator, it only works on the face due to its small size. Moreover, facial epilators are specially meant for facial skin, hence they are safer to be used on face and protect you from the potential irritation you might experience with a full body epilator.
How To Do Epilation on Face?
In order to do facial epilation correctly, we will guide you through the process step by step.
- Make sure you have exfoliated your face and it is thoroughly clean. It should also be completely dry and free of any makeup or lotion. Also, ensure that any hair you wish to remove are at least 1/4 inch in length. If your hair growth is less than ¼ inch, then you should wait for your hair to grow that long as it is the minimum hair length for an epilator to work properly.
- Switch on the epilator and adjust the speed to your preference. The default setting should be medium which can always be adjusted to a faster or slower setting until you reach a speed you are comfortable with.
- Press the head of the epilator gently against your face approximately 1/4th inch below the area with the hair that you wish to remove. Then hold it in a way such that the head rests flush against your face. Now, glide the device on your face slowly and in a direction opposite to the hair growth.
- As a method of precaution, make sure you don’t lather on any scented lotion or cream onto freshly-epilated skin as they will further irritate it. Try using a lotion with aloe vera as this will soothe the skin.
- Turn off the epilator and unplug it. Remove the epilator’s head from its handle and use a brush to remove all hair. Remove all hair from the epilator by rinsing the head under a stream of water. This will remove harmful bacteria and prevent any infection of your hair follicles.
How can you make your Facial Epilation a good experience?
The first step is to buy a dedicated facial epilator about which we have already mentioned before.
It is necessary to patch test the facial skin before doing any epilation. If you are new to epilation, try it on your hands and legs before and experience your pain threshold. When you are somewhat familiar with the idea of how your skin reacts to epilation, move to facial area. Never epilate on very long or variable hair lengths. If your hair growth is variable, trim it to 2-3 mm length. Also, run the epilator in a direction which is opposite to that of the hair growth. This will keep it less painful and convenient for you.
Here is a list of good facial epilators for you:
- Braun Face 810.
- Emjoi AP-9L Epi Slim.
- Braun Silk-epil 7681.
- Epicare Facial Hair Remover.
So, we have finally answered the query to today’s post, Yes, you can use epilation on facial hair, but you must do prior research and check for your pain threshold before you go for such ways of hair removal. It can seem to be a bit confusing at first, but each time you do it, it becomes easier, quicker and less painful. Do remember to follow the guidelines that we have suggested so as to get maximum benefits out of your facial epilator. Hope this answers all your doubts! Happy epilation, girls.