Facial pores are connected to sebaceous glands under the skin and these glands produce sebum, which is an oily substance. When pores get blocked and clogged with oil, sebum, dead skin cells, and bacteria, it leads to formation of pimple or acne. Smaller pimples are usually closer to your skin and they have a head and can appear as a whitehead. Bigger pimples are much more deeper and though they don’t have a head, they stay on the skin for longer and are called acne and cysts. Reducing the size of the pimple depends on which type of pimple you have. Even if you have cystic or stubborn acne, here are some remedies on pimple smaller:
1. Glycolic acid cream: A good glycolic-acid based cream or toner unblocks and exfoliates the outer layer of skin, which will make your pimple smaller in size overnight. Regular use of glycolic acid will clear out congestion and prevent future breakouts from appearing. It will also give you bright, fresh skin, and clear away minor scarring. It is important to use less than 10% concentration of glycolic acid topically on the skin. If you apply more than that, without the approval of your doctor, glycolic acid can give you dry patches and breakouts, the opposite of what you expect from it. Our suggestions would be – Glyco 6 Cream (INR 160), Pixi Beauty Glow Tonic (5% glycolic concentration), and The Ordinary 7% Glycolic Toner.
2. Apply ice: Ice is extremely helpful in reducing the size, inflammation and redness of your pimple. This can reduce the size and inflammation within a day or maximum two. You just need to wrap one or two ice cubes in a cloth and then apply it on your pimple. Rub the pimple gently for 5 minutes. Try the same process at least 10-12 times in a day for best results.
3. Apply Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory and soothing agents that can be found in nature. Extract some fresh aloe vera gel (here are two ways to make fresh aloe vera gel) if you have a plant and apply it all over your face. Aloe vera gel will make your skin soft and reduce the size of pimple at the same time. Raw aloe vera extracted directly from the plant is 100% natural and will give you best results. If you cannot source aloe vera from a plant, we would suggest Patanjali’s Aloe Vera Gel for this purpose.
4. Salicylic-acid Face Wash and Ointments: Face washes that contain salicylic acid work really well in combating acne. Salicylic acid gently exfoliates skin, clears out skin congestion, clears out clogged pores, and reduce sebum secretion. Our suggestions would be Saslic Foaming Face Wash, Zitcare 1% gel, SLC 2% Face Wash, Zitclin Foam Face Wash, Sebonac Gel.
5. Lemon and Mint: Blend a handful of mint leaves along with one tea spoon full of lemon juice. Apply this on the pimple or all over the face if you have more than one pimple. Mint leaves are known to reduce inflammation and redness whereas lemon would reduce and arrest bacterial growth, thereby actually reducing the size of pimple.
6. Green Tea: Green Tea is known to reduce inflammation and prevent breakouts on your skin. They are also known to shrink the size of your pimple. Cold green tea is considered extremely effective on pimples. Dip one green tea bag in one cup of warm water and after 5 minutes, apply this green tea on your pimple.
7. Baking Soda and Water: Take 2 tablespoon of baking soda and dissolve it in water. Make it to a paste form and apply on the pimple. Baking soda can dry out your skin, so do not apply it all over your face, use baking soda as a spot treatment only and it will reduce the size of your pimple.
8. Toothpaste: Even though people recommend applying toothpaste on the skin, we do not advocate applying it all over your face. Just a tiny amount, only on the pimple would be enough. Do not use whitening or gel toothpastes, a regular toothpaste would do the trick.
9. Clay Mask: Clay masks are extremely effective in absorbing excess oil and shrinking pimples, especially kaolin and bentonite clay. Clay masks can also clear up blemishes. Fuller’s Earth or multani mitti is also a good clay mask, squeeze in half a lemon to 2 tsp of Fuller’s Earth and apply it all over the face. Rinse off the mask after 20 minutes and pat dry your skin.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar Toner/Apple Cider Vinegar Bentonite Clay Mask: Bentonite Clay (easily available online) is also called as healing clay and it produces an electrical charge when it comes into contact with any liquid. This charge binds with toxins in your skin and clears them out. To make this mask, take 2 tsp of bentonite clay and add 1 tsp of diluted apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar restores the acid mantle of our skin and targets pimple-causing bacteria. It also clears out dead skin cells. Make bentonite clay and ACV paste and apply it on the skin, rinse off after 20 minutes. Wash and pat dry. To make ACV toner, take 1 tsp of ACV and 3 tsp of water. Mix well and transfer to a spray bottle. Use this as a toner after your cleansing routine, both morning and evening, and say bye bye to pimples with regular use.