WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Congratulations on your new baby! Hair loss after delivery can be traumatising and most new moms deal with this issue, but thankfully, it lasts for the first few months after delivery. It is a normal occurrence and today we’re going to give some effective tips to prevent hair loss after pregnancy.
What is Postpartum Hair Loss?
Postpartum hair loss is accelerated rate of hair fall for a temporary period, It lasts only for the first few months after pregnancy, (same happened with me!), but with a little care, the hair comes back to the normal stage by the time your little one turns a year old. This is completely normal and occurs with most new mothers, so you don’t need to take stress over it! Just relax and enjoy your time with your new member of the family.
Why Does Hair Fall Occur After Delivery?
During pregnancy, there is high oestrogen levels, due to which the growing stage of the hair is prolonged. There is very few hair in resting mode and the overall hair fall is less. As a result, pregnant women enjoy voluminous, thick and strong hair for the time that they are pregnant. Post-delivery, the oestrogen level in the body reduces and a lot of follicles go into the rest mode and hair start falling excessively. The sudden change in other hormones also cause hair loss but it is not permanent. After delivery, most mothers go through a shedding period which lasts for 6 to 8 months.
How To Prevent Hair Loss?
1. Take supplements: A prenatal vitamin supplement can really help to control the hair-loss post-pregnancy. It is always advised to consult your physician before taking prenatal vitamins.
2. Drink amla juice- Amla juice (Indian gooseberry) strengthens hair follicles and prevents hair fall. In fact, vitamin-C rich diet will help you grow out new hair. You could also eat amla regularly for better results.
3. Eat healthy: The right diet, rich in vitamins, minerals, iron, zinc, selenium is very important for you and your baby. A good and healthy diet will also show great results on your hair and skin.
4. Be gentle: Since your hair is in shedding period, be gentle while brushing and washing. Use a voluminous shampoo and wash your hair only when it’s really necessary. Use a wide-toothed comb to prevent hair fall.
5. Say no to heat: Avoid using any sort of heat on your hair. It may cause severe damage. It is best to avoid blow dryers/hot irons etc. Go natural!
6. Let your hair relax: Avoid tight hairstyles that tug at your scalp, as all that tension will pull your hair from roots and cause them to break .
7. Calm down: Relax, Stay calm and enjoy your time with your little one. Don’t stress out too much.
8. Get a new haircut: This is the best tip of all (don’t you agree?) you’ll get a good change and try a shorter hairstyle with increased volume, to make your hair look voluminous.
Home Remedies To Stop Hair Fall:
1. Hot oil treatment- Try a hot oil treatment (granny-approved tip) twice every week. Mix coconut oil/olive oil/almond oil, in equal portions and warm in a microwave, apply hot oil on your roots and massage the oil into the scalp for 3-4minutes. (Don’t massage too much as it may fall) Apply on the ends too. Also do not apply oil on greasy hair filed with grime. It’s best do hot oil therapy on second day after shampooing. Let the oil sit for the entire night. Shampoo-condition the next morning.
2. Yogurt hair mask: Apply fresh or sour yogurt on the scalp and ends. Let the mask stay for an hour or two. Shampoo and condition as usual
3. Coconut milk: Apply fresh coconut milk on to the scalp and let it sit for about an hour. Use a shower cap to be mess-free. Shampoo and condition as usual.
4. Amla hair-mask: Use a amla pack and mix it with water to form a thick paste. Apply all over the scalp, wash off after 1 hour and shampoo and condition.
Hope the journey of motherhood brings you joy and happiness!