Loading your skin with products without knowing its type is as good as getting a Mathematics question paper when you have prepared for English test. Scary isn’t it? Well hate to say but if you are doing it the results for your skin would be scary too.
Always determine your skin type first and then treat it accordingly. Oily, dry normal and combination are four skin types. Let us discuss my skin type i.e. combination skin. I am sure those of us who have it must be freaking out as summers have already arrived.
What is a combination skin?
When you have an oily T-zone i.e. your forehead, nose and chin are oily and your cheeks are comparatively dry then, my friend you are blessed with a combination skin. I say blessed because we (don’t forget me) get to try out more skin products in order to find out THE ONE which works for our entire face.
It is the width of our T-zone, which determines whether the skin is combination-oily or combination-dry. More active oil secreting T-zone means you have combination-oily and a comparatively drier forehead indicates combination-dry skin.
Tips for combination skin care:
• Always use a mild cleanser. I know how much you want that oily feeling to go away and feel fresh but, always remember that it is your skin that you are dealing with. Be gentle towards it.
• Avoid using regular bath soaps to wash your face. It can be too drying and irritating at times.
• Do not over wash your face as this will make the matter worst for you. Instead use oil-blotting papers to absorb the excess oil during the day.
• Do not forget to exfoliate your skin. Look for products that have beta hydroxy acid in them.
• Use a light weight oil free moisturizer. No matter what your skin type is, it still needs moisture.
• Always use alcohol free toners. To know more about toners read here.
• Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables to keep your skin hydrated from inside.
Home remedies for combination skin:
• Honey is a very good cleanser for combination skin. Put a few drops of lemon juice in one tablespoon of honey. Apply it on your face and gently massage for a minute or two. Wash your face with normal water.
• Apply fuller’s earth (multani mitti) mixed with water on your face for 10 minutes. Wash your face as usual.
• Apply a de-seeded papaya pulp on your face and leave it for 10-15 minutes, then wash your face with cool water.
• Mix a tsp each of pineapple juice, coconut milk and cornstarch. Apply it on face for 10 minutes and wash your face as usual.
• Apply cucumber juice on your face and leave it for few minutes. Wash your face with cool water.
Recommended products for combination skin:
Here is a list of some products that are working for me. Hope they may suit you as well.
• Cetaphil Cleanser
• Clinique Wash-Away Gel Cleanser
• Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer
• Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock
• Lush tea tree toner
What are your favorite products for such skin type?
Skin Care for Oily Skin
Blemishes– Causes & Skin Care
Dry Skin Care: Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Daily Skin Care Regimen for Working Women
Clinique 3 Step Skin Care System Review: Dry-Combination Skin
Best and Worst Makeup and Skin Care Products 2010
Best Makeup & Skin Care Routine for Combination Skin
24 thoughts on “How to Care for Combination Skin”
Except for Neutrogena, i won’t be able to find any other product… :weep: :weep: :weep:
cetaphil u will find … medicine shop mein :))
Nai mila yaar Naina.. But then my skin is not very very oily.. Just a little in summers na.. So i din’t bother much…
lush you can order online Mrun.. :))
Lush toh I don’t want… I can’t myself to spend so much money on something that doesn’t last long at all!!!! Me bherry kanjoos!!!
Also, i am afraid I’ll like all Lush goodies, and will be broke in a month buying all of them… :secret2: :secret2: :secret2:
lush cleansers may be a little expensive but u can use them for 4 months… 🙂
100 grm for 4 months is a good deal… :waytogo:
don’t you think so.. 🙂
ERA…!!! you are my savior…I have a combination skin. But I have a little issue in understanding if it is combi dry or oily. The reason I say this is cause in the winter season the skin zone around my mouth region gets dry ans strechy, but come summer season and it is normal (not dry not oily either) and the T zone as usual remains oily is all seasons, that too not heavily oily, but it does remain oily…
any pointer to help me resolve this? ?:)
Sorry to butt in.. But Rajol, you should consider your skin oily… Almost everybody’s skin get dry and stretchy in winters.. But if your skin is normal to oily for rest of the year, you have combi skin leaning towards oily…
You should use a cleanser for oily skin and a light moisturising cream… And in winters you can exfoliate with a creamy scrub and use heavier moisturiser… 😀 😀
So much for unsolicited advice…
Thanks so much Murn.. 🙂 and there is no need to apologize…an advise is always welcome…and specially for veterans… :victory:
I will try out your suggestions for this summer and the upcoming winters.. :yes:
Veterans…. 😐 😐 😐 :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
Glad i could help Rajol!!! :kissblow: :kissblow: :kissblow: :kissblow:
i suffer from the same problem in winters… :handshake: and no matter how much cream i apply everything fails after some time… but this year i applied the mixture of lemon and glycerin over the dry skin and the stretchy feeling was gone in 2 days… :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
try it this time m sure it will help you too… 😉
AAhhhh! Thank you, Era…I will DEFINITELY give this one a try…Looks like we have the same skin type… 🙂
BTW, what is your skin care routine for the summers…I am looking for some suggestions for the season too… O:) ?:)
very nice tips as i have also dry/combo skin………….. :thanks:
I have combination skin Era..And these tips are really excellent!!! I religiously follow all the tips you’ve mentioned there, and I’d definitely try the home remedies too now!! Great article!!! :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:
nice y.. thnkx for sharing it wid us :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:
I use cetaphil & both the neutrogena products & love then. I use the sinscreen only for my arms as teh moisturiser has SPF 15. But i always wonder if SPF 15 is enuf. I don’t go out in the sun except for my commute to work & even there don’t get exposed much. What do u all suggest?
A very useful article era. Cleared most of my doubts :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
m combination skin too era…nice tips :yes: :thanks:
Mathematics paper and prepared for english 😀 i did that 😀 wo bhi pre boards me lol 🙂 not scary for me LOVE maths 😀
btw me combination skin .. and one moisture i’d reccmd is Lotus alpha moist .. has alpha hydroxy acids so it midly exfoliates while moisturising 🙂 and ya your home made tips of papays and cucumber work great for combi skin.
m happy 2 knw wats gd 4 my skin; :thanks:
thnks 4 d g8 advice