Caring for Contact Lenses
Hi all the beautiful and gorgeous ladies out there! When I was washing my lens case today, it struck me that not many people really know that our lens cases must be washed properly with soap every week. It is a necessity though many people think of it as an option. Cleaning and maintaining the lenses isn’t enough, sterilizing and cleaning the lens case is very important!
First of all, I’d like to tell you a few points about caring for lenses, lens solution and lens case!
- Rinse your lenses with lens solution after every use. Take a few drops of lens solution on your palm, place the lens in your palm and rub each side of the lens very gently with your index finger for at least 20-30 seconds. Though all of us know that, but still it is an important step to be mentioned!
- Discard the lens solution within 45 days of opening. I never used to discard it in the beginning and this became the reason of a severe eye infection and that too during my board exams 😮
- Whenever you feel that there’s lack of moisture in your eyes when you are wearing the lenses, just put 1 drop of sodium chloride solution in your eyes. PLEASE REMEMBER TO ASK THE CHEMIST TO GIVE YOU NORMAL SALINE. It is priced at around Rs. 17-18. I always store this solution in an empty lens solution bottle (after sterilizing it) and it becomes very convenient to use.
- Never never never put even 1 drop of the lens solution in your eyes.
- Never sleep with your lenses on. It is very bad for your eyes.
- Do not allow the tip of the solution bottle to come in contact with any surface, and keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
Maybe many of you know these facts, but there’s no harm in telling. :))
Now coming back to the topic, I’ll tell you how to clean your contact lens case.
How to clean your lens case
- Wash your hands thoroughly using an anti-bacterial soap. Rinse your hands properly so that there’s no soap left in your hands.
- Take your contact lenses out of the case and keep them aside or wear them!!! If you don’t wear them, keep them in separate bowls (with lenses immersed in solution).
- Rinse the lens case and covers in hot running water. This will destroy bacteria and rinse away any dust.
- Scrub the case and covers with a clean toothbrush, hot water and soap. Scrub the whole case, including the outer surface, top, and base. Scrub the inside of the caps if the case has screw-on covers and look for any deposits of dried saline.
- Rinse the lens case twice to remove any traces of soap.
- Never wipe it using a towel. It invites the dirt and dust back!! Let it air dry. And here you are, with your clean lens case.
- CLEAN YOUR LENS CASE EVERY WEEK. I am too lazy to do so, but it is highly important!!!
How to sterilize your lens case
1. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
2. Take some water and bring it to boil.
3. Place the lens case in the boiling water and let it stay in the boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Take it out of the water.
4. Let the lens case air dry. And here you are!!! Your lens case is sterilized!
5. STERILIZE YOUR LENS CASE EVERY MONTH.
It is also important to change your lens case from time to time. And I’d love to know if there’s something additional you know about keeping the lens case clean!
Hope you find this article useful! Love you all!
Contact Lens: All about Contact Lenses
Contact Lenses: How to Use Contact Lens
22 thoughts on “How to Care for Contact Lenses”
woww Princa Thats so informative.. I didnt know all this. My mumma and bro use contacts- will tell them 😀
specially my bro. typical guy – hes still not used the face scrub I gave him a year back 🙁
thnx Bee!!!! i know guys are so lazy!!!!!! :loser:
Scarlet- u didnt sleep????
even me gettin bored
This is such an amazing article Princa…I don’t wear lenses but my boyfriend does..and he also wasn’t too careful with his last set of lenses and hence got baddddddddd conjunctivitis because of that. I am definitely going to share this article with him and make him do all the steps you’ve mentioned here!!! :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: for sharing!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
my pleasure!!! phir u and ur bf maze se ANKHIYAAN LADAANA!!!!!!!!! :))
m so happy me getting married on 25th!!! so nervous n excited!! after fighting with my parents 2 yrs for gettin married to my bf, i’m finally getting married to him!! me sooooooooooooo happy!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
congrats prince….such a lovely news…25th this month???
Yeah Zeeba!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Thnx a lot!!!! :-* :-*
hey my name is Princa not prince!!!
dnt be sorry dear :))
Nice tips, I have bought my first pair of contacts a few days ago and I love to wear them! :yahoo:
cool!! enjoy!!! and thnx :handshake:
m too lazy to clean d case…n i also sleep wearin lenses thoda tym wen m super tired :((
princa…u sd not even 1 drop of solution shd go into eyes…bt wen we clean it n put into our eyes..den sum solution is present na in d lenses..
but it doesn’t come in contact with your eyes as directly as when you put 1 drop in eyes. the lens is supposed to be rinsed with the sol to clean it and remove the protein deposits. so it is indispensable to rinse it!!! but still if you find it a prob, u can always rinse the lens with normal saline just before wearing it!!! :)) :)) :))
hey, never sleep wearin ur lenses. it is very very very bad for ur eyes. plz stop this habit asap!!! tc!!!