Hi all the beautiful and gorgeous ladies out there! When I was washing my lens case today, it struck me that not many people really know that our lens cases must be washed properly with soap every week. It is a necessity though many people think of it as an option. Cleaning and maintaining the lenses isn’t enough, sterilizing and cleaning the lens case is very important!
First of all, I’d like to tell you a few points about caring for lenses, lens solution and lens case!
- Rinse your lenses with lens solution after every use. Take a few drops of lens solution on your palm, place the lens in your palm and rub each side of the lens very gently with your index finger for at least 20-30 seconds. Though all of us know that, but still it is an important step to be mentioned!
- Discard the lens solution within 45 days of opening. I never used to discard it in the beginning and this became the reason of a severe eye infection and that too during my board exams 😮
- Whenever you feel that there’s lack of moisture in your eyes when you are wearing the lenses, just put 1 drop of sodium chloride solution in your eyes. PLEASE REMEMBER TO ASK THE CHEMIST TO GIVE YOU NORMAL SALINE. It is priced at around Rs. 17-18. I always store this solution in an empty lens solution bottle (after sterilizing it) and it becomes very convenient to use.
- Never never never put even 1 drop of the lens solution in your eyes.
- Never sleep with your lenses on. It is very bad for your eyes.
- Do not allow the tip of the solution bottle to come in contact with any surface, and keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
How to clean your lens case
- Wash your hands thoroughly using an anti-bacterial soap. Rinse your hands properly so that there’s no soap left in your hands.
- Take your contact lenses out of the case and keep them aside or wear them!!! If you don’t wear them, keep them in separate bowls (with lenses immersed in solution).
- Rinse the lens case and covers in hot running water. This will destroy bacteria and rinse away any dust.
- Scrub the case and covers with a clean toothbrush, hot water and soap. Scrub the whole case, including the outer surface, top, and base. Scrub the inside of the caps if the case has screw-on covers and look for any deposits of dried saline.
- Rinse the lens case twice to remove any traces of soap.
- Never wipe it using a towel. It invites the dirt and dust back!! Let it air dry. And here you are, with your clean lens case.
- CLEAN YOUR LENS CASE EVERY WEEK. I am too lazy to do so, but it is highly important!!!
How to sterilize your lens case
1. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
2. Take some water and bring it to boil.
3. Place the lens case in the boiling water and let it stay in the boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Take it out of the water.
4. Let the lens case air dry. And here you are!!! Your lens case is sterilized!
5. STERILIZE YOUR LENS CASE EVERY MONTH.
It is also important to change your lens case from time to time. And I’d love to know if there’s something additional you know about keeping the lens case clean!
Hope you find this article useful! Love you all!