Smokey eyes are distant dreams to me! I always see videos with my mouth opened wide and when I try them, it turns to raccoon eyes or worse. I always miss one or the other thing. Recently I came across Smokey Eyes Set and as there was an offer going on so I decided to buy it. So read on for the detailed review.
Price: €4.49 for 7.45g (I bought it for €2 on 50% summer discount offer)
What the company claims:
Perfect Smokey eyes are guaranteed thanks to the four ideally aligned shades and the professional sponge and brush applicator in the Smokey Eyes Set.
• For expressive Smokey Eyes
• Four perfectly aligned shades
• Includes a professional applicator
Mica, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Synthetic Wax, Paraffunum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Methyl Paraben, Propyl, May Contain: Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide) , Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide). Shade 010 Ivcaprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Myristate, Mica, Paraffin, Glycol Montanates, Diisostearyl Malate, Talc, Kaolin, Ceresin, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Nylon 12, Silica,Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).
My Experience with Catrice Smoking Area Smokey Eyes Set:
A few reasons for picking this up are the small compact size and affordable price. As I am still a beginner, I wanted a product I wouldn’t mind wasting with experiments before purchasing a good one! So I picked this considering it is a quality product and was on summer sale.
The Smokey Eye set comes in a palette with four single shadows. It also includes a sponge applicator and a brush. The colours vary from light to dark. The palette is sleek, and the cap is strong. The plastic used is quite strong and I have dropped this one for innumerable times (already!) and thank God the plastic is strong. Overall the packaging is completely satisfactory.
The 3 colours are shimmery and powdery and the black is gel and solid. The product is also easy to use, the instructions are available on the back of the palette, but however you need some practice to achieve the exact look! I have described each shade in details (I have named them).
1. Shimmery White: The lightest and the brightest shade in the palette. The colour is white! The product is powdery and shimmery. This product is like the base for the smokey look! The eye shadow has deep pigment and when applied on the eye, it really makes the eye pop. I really have a hard time with this colour. It always makes me look ghastly when applied as mentioned on the packaging. If I apply this shade with some blues/pinks, it looks so beautiful. I still have to work out to know how to blend it without making it look weird. But, the colour doesn’t crease and creates a perfect base for the remaining colours to be built up.
2. Silver Grey: The colour is more silvery than grey. The product is powdery and has shimmers. The product does fall out. I am not a fan of this colour and use it only for the inner eye area to make my eyes bright. When applied on shade 1, it only creates more “ghost effect” on me! This product too doesn’t crease or settle down in the lines on your lid.
3. Shiny Grey: The colour is grey and is little darker. The colour is very similar to Cisco phones in your office! The colour is used on the outer area of the eyelid for creating that perfect smokey look. This colour is also powdery, shimmery but it falls out more than the other colours. The texture also is a little grainier when compared to others. The colour creates the perfect tail to any of the colours for the perfect smokey effect! This colour stays the longest.
4. Black Gel liner: This is nothing but the gel liner for lining your eyes. The black liner is pigmented and is deep black in colour. The product is creamy and is easy to apply. However as easy to apply, it also fades away very quickly. The black on the waterline doesn’t even stay for 30 minutes and on the lid it stays for 2-3 hours and then fades away. The gel liner also creases onto the lines on the eyes and smudges. I am not a big fan of this one!
So overall, the shimmery powder eyeshadows are good but the black gel liner is a dud. Expect the gel liner, all the products stay for a good 6 hours without primer and for 8-10 with a good eye primer. The brush provided with the set is also satisfactory. I have used the brush to line my eyes and they are just perfect. I have used the sponge applicator only once and it is quite good. It is a good purchase as it is affordable and I am still learning. So summing up,
Pros of Catrice Smoking Area Smokey Eyes Set:
• Has variety of shades needed for the perfect smokey eyes.
• The colours are shimmery and pigmented.
• Lasts long.
• Doesn’t crease on the eyelids.
• Doesn’t smudge out.
• Doesn’t irritate the eyes.
• Sleek packaging and travel friendly.
Cons of Catrice Smoking Area Smokey Eyes Set:
• Fall-out issue.
• The gel liner doesn’t stay long.
• The liner smudges.
• Lot of practice is needed to get the perfect smokey look.
IMBB Rating: 3.5/5
Would I Recommend/Repurchase Catrice Smoking Area Smokey Eyes Set?
If and only if you are looking out for some cheaper options.
Catrice Eyeshadow Duo Miracle Heaven
Catrice Eyeshadow 300 Pink Rock Super Star
Catrice 070 Dancing Green Liquid Metal Gel Eye Pencil
Catrice Prime and Fine Translucent Loose Powder
Catrice Smokey Eyes Brush
Catrice Smokey Eye Pencil in The Black Earl
Essence Show Off Smokey Eyes Set
Catrice 010 Eyes Wide Matt Absolute Matt Eyeshadow Palette