With more and more companies marketing their products as “Natural”, “Herbal”, and “Organic,” it has become necessary to know if these so-called “Natural” products are really 100% natural or whether they are adding a few natural ingredients to catch your attention. It has become very important to read the labels of the products we buy and ensure we stay away from certain harmful chemicals which in the long run will only destroy our beauty rather than enhancing it.
1. Parabens: It can be methyl, ethyl, propyl,butyl,isobutyl. Parabens are used a preservatives in various beauty products to increase the shelf life. It is said that parabens can interfere with hormone function and it even associated with breast cancer. If used widely it can even prove toxic.
2. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES): This chemical gives you a nice foamy/lathery shampoo which we all love but in reality it is nothing but a harsh detergent which can cause eye irritation, allergic reactions etc. It is also harmful to wildlife (as many products are tested on them) So, next time don’t complain if your shampoo doesn’t lather much instead consider it a blessing.
3. Parfum & Fragrances: Often listed as the last ingredient in most beauty product it too can prove to be harmful. It can cause headache, dizziness, rash, skin irritation, hyper pigmentation.
4. Mineral Oils: It often consists of Paraffin Oil, Liquid Paraffin, Petrolatum & Wax. It is mosly found in creams and body lotions etc. It causes a plastic shield on the skin which prevents it from breathing. This in turn results in slowing down skin cell’s development function which leads to pre-mature ageing.
5. Phenylenediamine (PPD): Mostly found in hair dyes and colored cosmetics. It can cause skin irritation and allergies.
6. Dibutyl Phthalate or DBP: Mostly found in Nail paints and hair sprays and it may too interfere with hormone function. Again this too is harmful to wildlife.
These are just a few chemicals and like this there are many more which we use unknowingly in our day to day routine. Also, there are many controversies & theories surrounded on inclusion of such chemicals in beauty products. I have tried to share a few chemicals which we are aware of and know that they are not good if included.
The Ingredients in Shampoos and Conditioners and their Significance
Homemade Hair Conditioners With Kitchen Ingredients
Precious Ingredients in Cosmetics
Homemade Body Scrub Recipes With Kitchen Ingredients
Boots Ingredients Strawberry and Yogurt Body Scrub
Ingredients in Cosmetics and Beauty Products: The Real Story
Harmful Chemicals in a Shampoo