If there’s one superfood that gets a lot of prominence when it comes to weight loss, it’s chia seeds. These seeds come from the plant Salvia hispanica which belongs to the mint family. Chia seeds are packed with nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, protein, calcium, potassium, magnesium, fiber, minerals, vitamins, as well as antioxidants. This makes them an excellent ingredient to include in a calorie-deficit diet where one is trying to lose weight without compromising on nutritional value. Chia seeds also have anti-inflammatory properties, keeping heart, brain, and body in perfect health – all the more reason to include these tiny seeds into your diet.
Nutritional Information of Chia seeds:
Two tablespoons of chia seeds come loaded with 11 gm of fiber, 4 gm of protein, and 9 gm of fat. It also gives 18% of recommended calcium daily intake and 30% daily manganese and magnesium. Zinc, potassium, B1, B2, B3, phosphorous along with rich antioxidants. Another important nutrient we do not want to miss telling you about is the presence of omega-3 fatty acids which prevent cancer, inflammatory disease, and heart problems. So there, you are not only losing weight, you would also be keep your heart, brain, and entire body healthy by including chia seeds in your diet.
Why Chia seeds work?
They are extremely low in calories but high in protein and fiber content.When soaked in water or any other liquid for some time, they absorb water up to 27 times their weight, enlarge, and become into a sticky and gelatinous consistency. Chia seeds keep you full for long and keep hunger pangs and cravings away. This means that you would not reach for junk food anymore.
Do Chia Seeds Reduce Belly Fat?
Chia seeds cannot burn fat on their own, however, they promote weight loss when someone is on a calorie-restricted diet and on an exercise routine. Many people drink this drink made with lemon and chia seeds and have reported to have lost belly fat (complete recipe below). With chia seeds in your routine, controlled food intake, and an exercise routine in place, you would be able to shrink your belly really well.
How To Consume Chia Seeds for Effective Weight Loss:
1. Chia seed weight loss drink: Take one 1 tsp of chia seeds in one glass of water and keep it aside for 45 to 60 minutes. After one hour, squeeze one full lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey in it and mix well. Consume it every morning on empty stomach and see how your waist circumference comes down.
2. Chia seed pudding: Take half a cup of milk (almond, skimmed, coconut milk – it’s your preference), and 2 tsp of chia seeds, and 1 tsp of honey. Keep this pudding overnight in the fridge or for on hour and consume it as a dessert.
3. Chia seed smoothie: One of the best ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet is by blending them into your smoothie. Blend 2 tsp of chia seeds in half a cup of yogurt, half a banana or a handful of strawberry. The seeds add a delicious crunchy texture to the smoothie.
4. Chia seeds salad: Whether you’re preparing a leafy green salad, a fruit and nut salad, or a salad with veggies and lentils, chia seeds will add a wonderful flavour and texture to your salad. Make sure to sprinkle some on top once your salad is prepared.
5. Chia seeds in post-workout protein shake: Replace one of your meal (either breakfast, lunch or dinner with this smoothie). To make this delicious treat, take one small banana or strawberries, 1 tsp of flaxseeds, 1 tsp of chia seeds, 1 tsp peanut butter, along with flavoured or unflavoured whey protein powder. Blend everything well in a blender and consume it immediately.
6. Chia seeds in pancakes: Pancakes are a great and delicious option for breakfast, but to make them more nutritious and weight loss friendly, use only whole wheat flour and add 2 tsp of chia seeds to the batter. Blend everything well and you would have delicious and nutritious pancakes on your plate.
7. Chia seeds in rotis: Just like you can add chia seeds to your pancake batter, adding the seeds to the atta for your rotis or phulkas is one of the most nutritious and easiest ways to incorporate chia seeds into your daily diet.
8. Fruit yogurt with chia seeds: Add 2 tsp of chia seeds to flavoured yogurt or Greek yogurt and keep it overnight in the fridge. Consume it as breakfast in the morning.