Weight is the most prominent issue faced by people today. Some want to gain it while others want to part away with it. Inspired by the slender figures seen on tv and magazines women do what not to get into shape. The problem comes when they divert there minds towards the shortcut methods. And one such method is what we call ‘crash diets’.
What is a crash diet?
Like any other diet a crash diet too is aimed at reducing the weight. The only difference being that in such a diet a person strictly restricts the calorie intake. The focus is more on rapid weight loss than healthy weight loss.
I consider a crash diet no better than outright starvation. Despite a known fact that the results achieved through such diet are not permanent, people do not hesitate to starve themselves.
Effects of crash diets:
Listed below are some of the devastating effects of crash diets.
• Hair loss: Hair needs essential nutrients like minerals and vitamins to remain strong and healthy. These needs are not fulfilled in a crash diet, due to which people notice hair fall. Not only hair but our skin is also affected due to it.
• Lack of Muscle: Body is pushed into starvation mode when a person follows a crash diet. In such a case our body starts to store fat and burn the muscles, which further leads to loss of tissues around organs like the brain and liver.
• Lowered Metabolism: Not only our muscles but our metabolism too is affected due to the starvation.
• Lack of Energy: Calories give us energy but, crash diets deny calorie intake. This is a major reason a person following a crash diet feels lethargic and tired all the time.
• Crash diets do not last for long: When a person returns to normal eating after a period of calorie restraint, they will without doubt gain weight as their body tries to refill its fat reserves. The result will be a higher percentage of body fat than before.
• Someone who is attempting to crash diet is likely to experience intense hunger, misery, depression and food cravings.
• Addiction to crash diets may cause calcium deficiency and consequent weakening of bones
• Crash diets accelerate the aging process.
• They also lead to dehydration.
Instead of getting sucked into a crash diet, chose a diet plan that is right for you and adopt a healthy lifestyle. By losing weight safely and slowly, a person will stand a much better chance of maintaining their new weight.
Does Dieting Really Work for Weight Loss?
10 Easy Ways for a Healthy Lifestyle – Part 1
10 Easy Ways for a Healthy Lifestyle Part 2
Anti- Aging and Fitness Diets
How to Lose Weight in 4 Weeks- Diet Chart for Weight Loss
Weight Loss WIth Fruit Diet
Ten Tips on Staying Healthy