Cystitis is a medical term which is used to refer bladder infection. The infection develops due to a viral or bacterial micro-organism. Cystitis rarely causes any real danger to ones health, even though this condition sometimes poses a very upsetting situation. But, if the bladder infection spreads to your kidneys then it can pose severe health problems.
Causes of Cystitis:
Following are some of the causes of cystitis:
• Cystitis usually occurs when bacteria outside the body enter the urinary tract and begin to reproduce. It may occur in women as a result of sexual intercourse.
• Certain medications, mainly the chemotherapy drugs, can cause cystitis.
• Radiation treatment of the pelvic area can cause inflammatory changes in bladder tissue.
• Hypersensitivity to certain chemicals found in certain products like bubble bath, may develop bladder infection.
• Bad toilet hygiene also plays a part in bladder infection.
• Regular use of deodorants or feminine hygiene sprays may develop cystitis-like symptoms.
• Due to lack of female sex hormones postmenopausal women go through a lot of changes. There urinary system is more easily irritated by cystitis.
Symptoms of Cystitis:
Cystitis symptoms generally subside sans therapy within four to nine days. Following are the common symptoms of cystitis:
• Burning sensations (called dysuria) or pain during urination.
• Occasional discharge of blood in the urine.
• Pain above the pubic bone.
• High frequency and urgency to pass urine.
• Bad-smelling urine
• Lower abdominal pain.
• Painful sexual intercourse.
• Mild fever and chills.
Treatment of Cystitis:
It is best to seek a professional help as soon as you notice these symptoms. The sooner you do something the quicker are the chances of getting respite. In case you can not seek a medical advice due to some reason, the below mentioned tips might prove beneficial in reliving the pain:
• Add one teaspoon of honey, one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in a cup of cucumber juice. Drink it thrice every day.
• A cup of radish juice to be taken one time everyday for two weeks.
• Avoid having sexual intercourse till the problem has subsided as it could only worsen the situation.
• Incase you are suffering from fever too then drink coconut water for 3-4 days.
• Incase of no fever, drink vegetable juices particularly that of carrots at regular intervals.
• Intake of solid food should be avoided incase of severe cystitis.
• Wrap a hot water bottle incase of abdomen pain. Cold compress ca also be taken helps to relieve congestion in the pelvis and increase blood circulation.
• Add 1 tsp of soda bicarbonate in half glass of water. Drink it two or three times a day. It makes the urine less acidic and stops the bacteria from multiplying.
• Drinking 300ml of cranberry juice daily reduces the number of urine infections significantly.
• Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink plenty of water, at least eight glasses a day.
Image source: 1
Fibroadenoma – Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Vaginitis: Causes, Symptoms and Cures
Bacterial Vaginosis in Women
Pap Smear Test for Detecting Cervical Cancer
Tender Breasts: Causes and Cures of Breast Tenderness
Osteoporosis- Symptoms, Causes and Management
Pigmentation: Causes and Cures