For most of us, winters means the onset of dry and parched skin and also flaky dandruff. Shedding and flaking of dead skin cells in the form of white flakes on your clothes is a common scene during winters. These flakes are caused by dandruff of the scalp. Dandruff can be caused by excessively dry scalp or excessive oil production, allergy to certain hair products, side effect of certain medication, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema or psoriasis. Dandruff can also be triggered by a fungal infection (pityrosporum orbiculare) which feeds on the oil produced by the hair follicles, and that’s why oily and greasy scalp are more prone to the attack of dandruff. In most cases, dandruff causes hair fall and even zits on the forehead. Dandruff produces powdery flakes that are not oily and you can often spot them on your clothing and shoulder. In today’s post we are going to see some of the best dandruff shampoos to get rid of this problem.
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition when the scalp becomes excessively dry and the dead skin comes off from the scalp in the form of flakes or powder. The scalp can become itchy and greasy because of dandruff. There’s a condition called seborrheic dermatitis that can effect skin anywhere on the body, but when it shows up on the scalp, it causes itching, redness, and flaking of the skin. Dandruff on the other hand does not make skin inflamed or red. Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a fungus that feeds on oil produced from the hair follicles.
What Causes Dandruff?
Excessive oil production, dry scalp, oily scalp, stress, use of too many styling products, lack of balanced diet, certain medications, yeast infection, fungal infection, not combing your hair enough can all trigger dandruff.
Tips To Prevent Dandruff:
- Moisturize your scalp. Go for hot oil treatment once or twice a week to nourish the scalp.
- Comb your hair from scalp to hair ends, this will bring down oil from scalp to all through the hair and will prevent dandruff from forming. Combing also prevents buildup of dead skin cells on the scalp.
- Eat food rich in zinc and vitamins.
- Use a clarifying shampoo every 15 days to prevent product buildup.
- Shampoo your hair at least twice a week to clear out oil and sebum from the scalp. Certain fungus and yeast strains can feed off that oil and sebum and give you dandruff in return.
Ingredients to look for in a Dandruff Shampoo:
- Coal tar.
- Pyrithione zinc.
- Salicylic acid and sulfur.
- Salicylic acid.
- Selenium sulfide.
- Tea tree oil.
Home Remedies To Treat Dandruff:
1. Fenugreek seed paste with lemon: Soak 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Make a paste out of the soaked seeds and squeeze in half a lemon. Apply on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off your regular shampoo.
2. Curd with lemon treatment: Take a cup of thick curd and squeeze in a full lemon into it. Apply well on the scalp and leave it on for one hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Spray: In two cups of water, add 2 tsp of organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the water. Mix well and transfer it to a spray bottle. Spray this mixture on your scalp and keep it on for 2 hours. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
4. Olive Oil Treatment: Warm up some extra virgin olive oil and massage this oil on your scalp well. Leave it overnight and wash off the next morning.
5. Baking Soda Dandruff Treatment: Mix baking soda with a little water and apply the paste on your scalp. Massage thoroughly on the scalp and leave for 30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
25 Best Dandruff Shampoos:
1. Cipla 8x Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
This anti-dandruff shampoo clears dandruff effectively. It also cures itching and flakiness of the scalp. It is also available in local medical and pharmacy stores.
2. Cipla Danfree Anti-Danfree Shampoo:
This shampoo has been developed by dermatologists. It has 2% ketoconazole. It removes flakiness and chunks of dandruff. It clears away itchiness and makes scalp clean.
3. KZ Lotion Shampoo:
This lotion shampoo has 2% ketoconazole and it is used to treat fungal infections that causes dandruff.
4. Cipla Sebowash Shampoo:
Sebowash Shampoo is a corticosteroid cream used to treat a number of skin conditions such as allergic reactions, dermatitis, and seborrhea. It reduces inflammation, redness, itching.
5. Scalpe+ Shampoo:
Scalpe+ Shampoo is used to control seborrheic dermatitis and treat dandruff. It is also used to get rid of symptoms such as itching, flaking, and scaling of the scalp.
6. Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
It’s a very effective shampoo in treating dandruff. It works on oily, dry, flaky dandruff. It cleans scalp very well.
7. Phytoral Scalp Lotion:
This is not a shampoo, but it is a treatment worth a mention. This lotion has ketoconazole and salicylic acid as ingredients. Ketoconazole counters and tackles the fungus that causes dandruff and salicylic acid removes the dead skin cell layer on the scalp. Ask your doctor whether it is suitable for your hair type.
8. Danclear Shampoo:
Danclear has ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione. Ketoconazole works as an anti-fungal and zinc pyrithione works as an anti-dandruff agent. This shampoo clears scaly patches and severe dandruff.
9. Seldruff Shampoo:
Seldruf Anti Dandruff Shampoo is a dermatologist-recommended shampoo with Ketoconazole and ZPTO. This shampoo takes care of dandruff, itchiness and scaly skin. It clears out flakes and fungus from the scalp.
10. L’Oreal Professional Series Expert Instant Clear Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
This L’Oreal shampoo gently clears dandruff while rebalancing your flaky scalp. This purifying anti-dandruff shampoo will leave your hair easy to style, soft, light and shiny.
11. Himalaya Herbals Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
The key ingredients in this shampoo are tea tree oil, grape seed, Indian Sarsaparilla and Aloe. This shampoo works on low and medium severity dandruff.
12. Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo Scalp Build Up Control:
This is a dermatologist-recommended to control crusty scalp build-up while relieving itching and flaking. This shampoo has Salicylic Acid which clears up flaky build up on the scalp.
13. FabIndia Tea Tree Dandruff Control Shampoo:
This dandruff shampoo has tea tree oil and it helps to control dandruff by unblocking clogged hair follicles. It protects the scalp from bacterial and fungal problems, thus keeping dandruff away.
14. Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
Head and Shoulders is one of the most popular, affordable, and effective shampoos when it comes to clearing out dandruff.
15. The Body Shop Ginger Anti- Dandruff Shampoo:
This is a very effective flake-clearing, scalp-soothing shampoo, with refreshing ginger root extract. This shampoo is especially formulated to deliver conditioning care for dry and flaky scalp.
16. Sebamed Anti Dandruff Shampoo:
This is a gentle cleansing shampoo with mild wash active substances and removing visible signs of dandruff. It supports and protects the acid mantle of the scalp for healthy hair, with a ph value of 5.5
17. Dove Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
This shampoo eliminates dandruff without drying out hair. It also does not contain parabens.
18. Patanjali Kesh Kanti Anti-Dandruff Hair Cleanser:
This is a herbal anti-dandruff shampoo with ingredients such as Rosemary oil, Honey, Neem oil, Tea tree oil, Nilgiri oil, Amla ext., Gurhal ext., Shikakai ext., Methi extract, tulsi.
19. Khadi Herbal Shampoo Neem and Aloevera for Preventing Dandruff:
A SLS and paraben-free shampoo with good herbal extracts as well. It is an effective scalp cleanser, removes dandruff with regular use. This shampoo also reduces itchiness of the scalp.
20. Biotique Bio Margosa Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner:
This herbal shampoo keeps dandruff under control and cures itchiness of the scalp.
21. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
This L’Oreal clay shampoo clears dandruff and itchy scalp with regular use.
22. Schwarzkopf Bonacure Scalptherapy Dandruff Control Shampoo:
The combination of Zinc Pyrithione Complex and Lemon Grass Extract prevents dandruff flaking, purifies the hair root and helps sooth the scalp.
23. Matrix Biolage Advanced Scalppure Shampoo for Dandruff:
This shampoo clears dandruff and cleans scalp well.
24. Keraglo Ad Anti Dandruff Shampoo:
Keraglo Anti Dandruff Shampoo effectively removes dandruff. It contains Ketoconazole, Ichthyol Pale and D-panthenol. Ketconazole controls fungal cell growth.
25. VLCC Dandruff Control Shampoo:
An effective combination of Rosemary and Mint reduces dandruff effectively. Anti-bacterial property of Rosemary Oil protects against scalp infection and removes dandruff effectively. Mint leaf extracts soothe, condition and revitalize the scalp. This shampoo leaves hair and smooth.
WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP AND DIY VIDEOS AND READ IMBB COMPLETELY AD FREE. DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!