We all use scrubs on a regular basis, but often scrubs don’t peel away some stubborn cells. While they gently buff away the top layer of dead cells, mild acids work best to renew the skin layer and reveal the healthy cells underneath. Your skin will look fairer and healthier as you get rid of the dull dry top layer. Commercial skin peels may not suit you and often cost a bomb. So I tried testing with fruit acids to see if I could get similar results at home with minimum products and cost. And this mask worked amazingly. But before you try it, don’t forget to read the precautions and follow them carefully.
The active ingredients are fruit acids, so you can take fruits which are rich in acid like berries and citrus fruits. I chose the ones I had available in my stock to make this and they yielded amazing results. After a couple of trials, I perfected my recipe, so you might use the same combination if you wish.
• Strawberry (half of a small strawberry would do)
• Tomato (one slice)
• Grapes (two pieces)
• Milk powder (one teaspoon)
• Water (if needed)
How to Make:
Take milk powder in a small bowl. Try not to use a steel bowl while mixing anything acidic. A glass or ceramic bowl works best. Also, never store such acid based masks in a steel bowl. I didn’t have a glass bowl, so I used a steel bowl, but kept it for 5-6 minutes maximum.
Squeeze strawberry, tomato and grape into the milk powder. Either you can use just the extract, or mash the fruits into the bowl and use.
Add water if you want to dilute the mixture. 1 teaspoon water should be more than sufficient.
Conduct a patch test on the back of your hand or behind your ears. Since it’s an acid mask, it might burn. It’s vital to do this test before trying it on your face.
Leave it for 30 seconds. Wash off with water and pat dry. Do not rub or use circular motions. It might irritate skin.
Follow up with a soothing gel or cream.
Why it Works:
It contains some of the most amazing and potent acids available in fruits.
Milk powder, though not acidic in itself, can give lactic acid when mixed with sour substances. It can gently exfoliate skin, lighten tan and blemishes without dehydrating your skin.
Strawberries contain good amounts of citric acid. Strawberries are effective in removing the excess sebum on skin. The juice is very efficient in lightening blemishes and acne scars.
Tomato can work wonders when applied topically on the skin. It contains a high amount of Vitamin C. Tomato is considered a natural bleaching agent and is very helpful in lightening the skin tone.
Many of us experience uneven tanning, with our face looking all patchy and discoloured. Green grapes are very effective in curing uneven skin tone. They fight dullness and revive your skin.
• Even though the mask doesn’t contain commercial chemicals and has fruit based chemicals, it can harm your skin. Chemicals, especially acids, can burn your skin if applied for a longer time. I found that this mask works best when left for 30-40 seconds. I allow it a maximum of one minute. More than a minute, my skin burns slightly. So, proceed with caution and do not exceed the time limit.
• A patch test is a must! Do not directly apply on your face. Try it out on your wrists or back of ears to test if you are sensitive to any ingredient.
• It’s normal to experience redness and heat on your skin after washing off. Rub ice cubes or apply a soothing cold gel. The redness will calm down in some hours.
• Your skin will remain sensitive for a couple of days. So try to avoid direct sun exposure. Use generous amounts of sunscreen and limit your sun exposure. Use umbrellas, hats and sunglasses to ward off sun rays as much possible.
DIY- Skin Repairing Night Cream for All Skin Types
DIY Face Serum for Smooth and Clear Skin
DIY Homemade Natural Shampoo for Hair
DIY Lip Care Routine for Soft Pink Pigment-Free Lips
DIY Egg Sheet Mask for Glowing Skin
Best Salicylic Acid-Based Products for Acne-Prone Skin
12 Best Face Exfoliators Available in India
How to Exfoliate Your Skin After Using Epilators
Beauty Benefits of Salicylic Acid
Glamglow Youthcleanse Daily Exfoliating Cleanser