Remember how your mom forcefully fed you a spoonful of “dahi” before you dashed out of the door to appear for the life-changing board exams? In India, having curd with something sweet is considered auspicious before stepping out of the house. Experts say such a practice helps to boost energy, to cool down body, to relieve stress. and also great for digestion. Ideally, curd should be considered a superfood with so many benefits. But the common question that people who are trying to lose weight ask – can you eat curd while trying to lose weight? Let’s find out:
The good old dahi/curd is a staple in Indian households. The best thing is that it’s a fermented food, rich in probiotics and healthy bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactococcus lactis, Lactococcus lactiscremoris., considered absolutely great for your gut. As we all know, a robust gut is the secret behind the smooth functioning of the body, including fat burning. Regular consumption of curd improves digestion and immunity.
Coming to its weight loss benefits:
1. Fermented Food, Rich in Probiotics: Live bacteria that can be found in curd/yogurt such as Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus have been shown to reduce inflammation (which is a reason behind insulin and leptin resistance). Having a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods gives a better chance to lose weight.
2. High in Calcium Content: Calcium is an essential nutrient that not only helps to build stronger bones, it has many more lesser-known yet highly beneficial functions – it neutralizes the effect of stress hormone cortisol! Chronic stress is considered a major reason behind belly fat and if calcium can lower stress, isn’t that amazing! Calcium also boosts fat burning by preventing the body from storing fat. Within the body cells, if there is adequate calcium, that particular cell will burn more fat! Adequate calcium in the body increases breakdown of fat in the bloodstream and preserves thermogenesis, accelerating the weight loss process. When the calcium levels are low, the body tends to make more fat cells.
3. Rich in Protein: It’s a lesser-known source of protein that helps to curb appetite and boost satiety. Protein also boosts metabolism and increases fat burning.
4. The B vitamins in curd improve overall metabolism and metabolize carbs, fat, and protein.
5. Curd is rich in essential minerals such as magnesium and potassium. Magnesium helps to regulate blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity. Magnesium and potassium also helps to reduce bloating and water retention.
Now that you know that there are multiple ways in which a bowl of curd can help with weight loss, have it plain or make good old raita, or better use it to make overnight rolled oats – the options are just endless! Also, if weight loss is on your mind, do check out Rati Beauty diet which would help you lose oodles of weight without food deprivation or crash dieting. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.