I have been using e.l.f products for about three years now and even though I love their prices, their products are overall a gamble – completely hit or miss. Today I’m reviewing one of their more recent products – the Essential Flawless Eyeshadow in the shade Tantalizing Taupe.
Where to buy:
I bought this eyeshadow quad from e.l.f’s website but you can as always scour the internet or your local stores. Target is known to carry a lot of e.l.f (for my beauty divas in the states).
It is pretty impressive and I have a hard time believing it, but their website says it is 0.21 ounces or 6.0 grams. That is a lot of product. It is also important to remember that it takes a decent amount to build up to a colour that is true-to-pan. It comes in a little plastic case with see-through panes for each one of the eyeshadows. Simple and functional – just how I like it.
Price and Shipping:
At $2.00 + tax per case, it is 100% more than most of e.l.f’s essential line (which is $1.00). But it is still only $2.00 and it doesn’t burn a hole in my wallet. So I think it is pretty inexpensive. Cheap enough to try anyway! E.l.f’s shipping is pretty good and I always get my items within a week.
My Take on e.l.f Essential Flawless Eyeshadow Tantalizing Taupe:
This product is available in seven different colour selections and I picked Tantalizing Taupe because I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a sucker for neutrals. And I think that nothing says neutral like various shades of Taupe! 🙂 Tantalizing Taupe contains four little bars of eyeshadows, a tiny tiny mirror, along with a tiny tiny sponge applicator. The eyeshadow quad looks gorgeous and I dare say it contains all of my favourite colours in one little box. BUT, like everything else in life, nothing is perfect. And this little beauty isn’t free of flaws either.
Here are things I LOVE about ELF Essential Flawless Eyeshadow – Tantalizing Taupe:
- The colours in this quad are just so stunning to me.
- The Base or the first colour is a shimmery peachy-pink-light taupe highlight colour.
- The Lid or the second colour is a shimmery medium toned taupe-bronze-brown.
- The Crease or the third colour is a shimmery taupe-copper-brown.
- And lastly, the Line or the fourth colour is a matte deep brown.
- For $2 + tax, the eyeshadow quad holds its own against other drugstore palettes, though obviously nothing is quite as cheap as this one.
- I really like the sleek-simple-lightweight design and a mirror.
- I like that it comes with a tiny sponge applicator, granted I would never use it unless I was travelling but it is good to have one that fits in perfectly 😉
Things I’m not so much in-love with ELF Essential Flawless Eyeshadow – Tantalizing Taupe:
• All four of the eyeshadows are smooth but run super powdery (which is a huge surprise to me since most shimmery shades are NEVER powdery!).
• Be prepared for some crazy fallout during application. Not just the shimmer, but all of the powder itself almost disintegrates.
• The eyeshadows are oh-so-beautiful in the pan and when swatched on the arm, but the same colour does NOT transfer on to the lids unless a primer is used.
• Even when applied on top of a primer, the shadows fade to almost no colour within 5 hours on me (but I do have very oily lids).
• The colours lack the pigment and the oomph I expect in eyeshadows 🙁
I love the colour selection and how little and cute it is, but that is where the pros end. It would be unfair to give it more than 2.75/5.
Even with the colours being powdery, lacking pigment, and almost no staying power, I find myself reaching for this quad more often than I would like. If I’m just running errands, I just use the first three shimmery shades with my fingers and some kohl and I’m done. I do like the sheerness of these colours at those times because I don’t want a full-fledged make up look but I do want the slightest colour on my eyelids. Also, for $2 + tax, I think I can live with all its flaws. Honestly, since it’s so freaking affordable, I would suggest you go try it out and see how you like it. Maybe it works out for you. I, in the meantime, will be looking for better quality eyeshadows in the same amazing-looking colours! 🙂 :p
Peace out! <3
P.S.: If I ever find perfect dupes, I will let you guys know! 😀
ELF Essential Brightening Eye Color Quad – Luxe Review
ELF Brightening Eye Liner Plum, Midnight, Ash and Teal
ELF Essential Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
ELF Essential Lipstick – Fearless
ELF Essential Lipstick – Posh and Gypsy
ELF Essential Lipstick in Sociable
ELF Essential Lipsticks Fantasy & Classy
ELF Brightening Eye Color Quad Punk Funk
Olay White Radiance Intensive Brightening Serum
L’Occitane Immortelle Brightening Moisture Cream
Estee Lauder Pure Color Eye Shadow Quad
Lakme Peacock Eye Quartet, Maybelline Time for Wine
L’oreal Star Secrets Quad Pro 354 Hazel Eyes Brown Golds
Ulta Eye Shadow Quad in Glamour Girl