I have been spending the first few days of the New Year just being lazy. Not professional work wise; but beauty wise. I have been staring on the walls; till my eyes are going squint; looking for some inspiration (as if the walls could give me some!!!). Finally, I decided that I really don’t need an inspiration here. I need to have a proper heart-to-heart discussion with you. Summer-times are so much about sunscreens; whereas makeup can be broadly classified into those suitable for fair, medium and dark skin tones. But winters are so much about skin care and more; and skin care products can never be suitable for everyone. Of course, there are classes like dry, combination and oily skin; still there might be an innocent-looking ingredient; which may be suited to all; except just that one person. You never know; and hence, despite all recommendations, I would request you to do a patch test before trying any new product, be it face or body or hair care. Meanwhile, I am reviewing a product today, which is by far, one of the most expensive cleansers out there; yet has a heavy dose of a sensitive ingredient in it.
Remarkable. Multi-purpose.Multi-award-winning.The original balm cleanser. The Eve Lom Cleanser was described by Vogue as “probably the best cleanser in the world” and is the foundation of our skin care regime. It changed the face of cleansing and continues to, everywhere in the world we launch, being expertly balanced for all skin types, skin concerns and environmental conditions. With its signature blend of four aromatic plant oils, specially woven 100% cotton Muslin Cloth and quick routine, the result is incredibly glowing, radiant skin with a smoother, more refined texture. The difference can be seen instantly and just keeps on improving with use.
- Deep cleanses without drying or stripping the skin and removes even the most stubborn of waterproof makeup.
- Thorough cleansing and gentle exfoliation enables skin cells to regenerate quickly and provides a vital receptive base for beauty products to work at their best.
- Decongests and with the signature massage technique helps drain toxins.
- Exfoliates, tones, improves circulation when combined with the specially woven Muslin Cloth.
- Softens and conditions the skin.
- Visible benefits for all skin types.
ParaffinumLiquidum (Mineral Oil), PEG-30 Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminium Stearate, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, PEG-75 Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, HumulusLupulus (HOPS) Oil, ChamomillaRecutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Eucalyptus Globullus Leaf Oil, BHT.
Active ingredients: Clove Oil (has antiseptic properties to encourage clear skin), Eucalyptus Oil (helps drain away toxins), Hops Oil (tones), Egyptian Chamomile Oil (softens and soothes), Cocoa Butter (conditions)
How To Use:
- Apply once a day, at night, for normal/dry skin types and twice a day, morning and night, for congested skins.
- Massage a small amount onto the face and neck onto dry skin over the grime and makeup from the day.
- Fill a basin with hot water and immerse the muslin cloth.
- Squeeze off excess water and hold the cloth over the face and neck for a few seconds while taking a deep breath.
- The heat will soften the skin and open the pores allowing the aromatic oils to cleanse the skin of impurities. For optimum results repeat this stage three times.
- Fold the hot, rinsed cloth into a square and work it in small circular movements across the face and neck to remove all traces of cleanser and makeup.
- The Muslin Cloth will gently exfoliate the skin surface and encourage healthy blood circulation, leaving the skin feeling exceptionally smooth.
- Rinse the cloth in cool water and hold over the face and neck. This helps close the pores, giving the skin a more even, toned appearance. It also leaves the skin feeling fresh and ultra clean.
55 GBP for 100 ml product (along with one muslin cloth).
My Experience with Eve Lom Cleanser:
Having tried the Eve Lom Morning Cleanser; and really liking it (I am still using it, on my second tube now), I really wanted to try out the original cleanser as well. I got this product around 2 months back; at a discount on an international website; which was selling the set of three (Cleanser, Morning time Cleanser and Muslin Cloth); at a discount price. I have been using it off and on; along with another one; since the last two months; and have found this working quite well for me.
The cleanser comes in a small white tub packaging. The packaging looks very neat and classy; and does not get stained or dirty easily. Inside, there is a protective plastic cover; under which we have the product.
The cleanser is quite thick in consistency; unlike the MT cleanser. It is also a bit granular, though the granules are small, and dissolve quickly on rubbing on the face. The color and the consistency almost feels like our “desidaanedaar ghee” to me. The granules do a little amount of exfoliation, nothing to go ga-ga about; but it does help to remove any stubborn makeup; though in a very gentle manner. The fragrance is kind of herbal, medicinal with a bit of clove like smell in it.
The cleanser is needed in extremely small quantity to remove a face full of makeup. I have used it after daytime as well as evening time makeup; and I have been really impressed with the results. As all balm cleansers, this has to also be rubbed on face for a minute or so, during which it turns into an oil and dissolves all makeup. Then, it is to be worked on with a few drops of water, which emulsifies the oil and then to be rinsed off with water. This cleanser has removed my stubborn eye makeup, sunscreens and all other makeup quite smoothly, without much effort. It gives my face a nicer, brighter, softer feel at the end of cleansing. Using a toner afterwards has not resulted in any residual makeup removal, so I guess it does remove all traces of makeup. However, to be on the safer side, I do double cleanse my face whenever I am wearing heavy makeup.
As far as the cons are concerned, I do frown upon the use of mineral oil as the first ingredient in the list. Since the price is so much, I really do not expect brands to give us even Ganga jalwaala mineral oil. Although, and I don’t know which mineral oil they are using, this has not broken me or any of my friends so far. Yes, many of my friends have used this cleanser from my tub, since they had heard a lot about it. So, I guess this mineral oil is the safe variant (if there ever is one); but do try it out before you actually buy it, in case you have faced problems with mineral oil before. This cleanser also contains alcohol in it; but no drying or any other problems were noticed by my skin.
Pros of Eve Lom Cleanser:
- Excellent packaging.
- Very small quantity needed.
- Dissolves all traces of makeup within a short time.
- Leaves the skin very soft and smooth; and bright.
- Does not irritate the eye.
- Has not broken me out.
- Fragrance is herbal, which I love.
Cons of Eve Lom Cleanser:
- Very expensive.
- Unavailable in India.
- Main ingredients are mineral oil and alcohol.
IMBB Rating: 4/5
Would I Repurchase Eve Lom Cleanser?
Guess not, this was a one-off for me, merely for curiosity purposes. I like the MT cleanser better; but with the advent of so many Balm cleansers in the market; this one is not essential for my skin care routine.
Eve Lom Morning Time Cleanser
Neutrogena Deep Clean Foaming Cleanser
Olay Total Effects Foaming Cleanser
Vichy Normaderm 3 in 1 Cleanser Scrub Mask
Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective White Purifying Cleanser
The Body Shop Aloe Vera Calming Cleanser and Toner
First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser