So like you saw what I did to my hair here. There are so many little tips that I want to share here which ofcourse I did not know by thankfully I was in the hands of a good stylist, and learnt a lot of things to get better results even without rebonding, with plain straightening. I will try to jot them down.
I will give you the honest figure for the process, we have a new very nice salon that I can go walky-talkie, (lucky me) you can imaging what a task it would be to go to a salon after you have a baby and no help. I tweeze and thread on my own and just go to salons on weekends once a month for wax. :/ or in dire necessity, life changes after a baby!
Cost: 5k to 10 k for medium to long hair (unless you grab an offer!)
Time involved: 4 to 7 hours!
Take a look at the different forms of hair treatments related to this:
Rebonding: Goes right inside the strands of the hair, which, over time, weakens them and leads to breakage.
Smoothening/straightening/relaxing: Coats the strands with a protein called Keratin, making it softer and smoother. I think you can choose what you want to achieve here, poker straight like more or less i did, or a relzed semi straight one..please correct me if I am wrong, I have gathered this info from some one who has done the treatment but her still looks wavy-straight because she said she chose not to get very straight hair.
What I have done is simple hair straightening, honestly it involved a chemical layer at step one only. After which it was mainly the flat ironing that had to be good to achieve what I did.I will mainly be talking about the PROCESS and not the AFTER Effects or care or how it ruined my hair.. 😛 if it does happen down the line.
I had to take an appointment with the new salon under the inaugural offer of 50% off on this, I asked them a ton of question but to my surprise the products use were all Matrix and the main chemical was just one. So no worries there.The whole process takes 6 hours when done well, so I suggest do it when you have really nothing else to do in life, I was dead bored I swear to Gawd.. but I wanted this very badly.
I have thick and wavy/curly hair and I have colored them often, even bleached them a little and I use a lot of hot tools, I have never loved my hair and have always tried to make them look better since the day I could, hence I did not mind treating them chemically, if you are some one who loves her hair, and does not want to experiment, then stop reading here!
I told the stylist I need to get poker straight hair but then she suggested I opt for rebonding which would cost me 7k for my length, that is my hair reaches the upper half of my back, I have layers done already and I like them this way.I still chose to opt for average straightening and she said she would try and get my hair as straight as possible even without rebonding.
We started step 1 at 12 noon, this was the product applied to each and every section of my hair very well, like not a single hair was missed out,and this took an hour at least, application and combing out every time. of course I was given a wash and condition with Matrix stuff before this and given 80% blowdry.
After the application I had to wait for 20 minutes, during which the cream really felt stiff. this is the interesting part, the stylist then tied some knots here and there and checked how it is going, apparently is the knot is tight then my hair are done, if it loosens, I need to wait more 😛
This was washed with plain water very well, blow dried and then starts the main task! the flat iron! the stylist said that the secret to perfect results is this part, how well the flat iron is done,it took two whole hours to flat iron each and every hair on my head, with the help of some one else,I would have almost slept but the stylist was so engrossed that she was pulling my hair a little in the process, she hadn’t had lunch I suppose so 😛 neither did I! I could hear the fizzy sound of the hair being flat ironed but trust me I have done this to myself a lot of times only to get temporary results.
After this, the hair were soaked in a deep conditioning mask,it was again matrix, it was left on for around 20 minutes and then washed off. I went back to check, this is he conditioning neutralizer to help the scalp recover if it has been touched by mistake, stop the straightening process and to condition too. This is matrix again.
I read all the possible magazines in the salon :yawn: had a nap almost and then after this wash I had a blow dry again and then flat iron just as a finishing touch. Tada! my hair are poker straight.
List of instructions I was told:
- No swimming, gymming, cooking for three days.(no sweat in your hair i suppose)
- No tucking the hair behind the ears.
- No clips and bands.
- Spread a satin cloth on the pillow to sleep.
- Shower cap is your friend for the next three days.
- Not a drop of water for three days on the hair.(I got nightmares on this one!
- Three days later I am to come back for a deep condition and wash and flat iron session again.
See the effect after all the precautions after three days, I had trouble sleeping, washing my face 🙁 it was all worth it! the hair were greasy after three days and are ready for a wash, I was told to use serum every day, use the matrix shampoo and condioner and come for hair spa once a month and wait for any other treatment like highlights for a month at least!
After three days:
Some tips from my side:
- The secret lies in the flat ironing step it has to be done well,the chemicals do their job of course.
- Make sure your stylist is aware of every detail..if she looks confused, walk away.
- if your hair are virgin, then the chemicals used will be milder than what was used on my hair.
- Tell every detail about your hair to your stylist.
- I suffer from hair fall after pregnancy and hence I cannot comment on this but I am told by a lot of women that this has thinned down their hair and made hair fall.I am sure the processes are reversed over time.
- Fill up the form they give you about your hair and the future treatment suggested.
- keep the copy of after care they give you safely and follow it
- Use the shampoo meant for straight hair.(I have got Matirx opti.care smooth straight shampoo and conditioner)
- If not salon, try deep conditioning masks at home or off the counter.
- Have a balanced diet, good amount of protein and 5 ltrs of water everyday.
- Use flat straight motion to towel dry your hair, no blow drying please!
- If you suffer from backache, migrane, neck pain, skip this 6 hour colossal task!
- I suggest you get this done if you are working, have less time to style your hair, or are a mommy like me..who barely has “me time”.The 6 hours are an investment in that case.
- At any point if you feel you are under any pain, or your skin, eyes or scalp burns, shout out loud!
- Make sure all chemicals are applied an inch away from the root and scalp.
- Take a friend along who has loads to talk to you about.
- If you are a nursing mother or pregnant, please do not undergo chemical processes like these or even facial bleach.
- If you cannot stand strong chemical smells, skip this!
- It does change you face a lot, my face looks longer now, I look way neater when I open the door to my hubby 😛
- This is my natural hair color, the stylist said the process might make hair look a little lighter.
- Considering my thick hair and no rebonding, the simple straightening has been done very well, due to the good job of flat ironing.
- My stylist said this could even last me a year and half if I maintain it well with shampoo etc…
- She also said if possible I should not tie my hair with a clip or band for a month, after which I should use a loose cloth band for it.
- Give your hair all the TLC you can after this.
I honestly think to achieve this, there were not many chemicals involved, just the step one, heat involved was as much as what we get from our flat irons at home again and again! so why not do it once.i am prone to experiment with my hair and skin, if you are not then this will be more of an emotional rather than chemical process for you 😛 You have two choices, either you love your natural curly/wavy hair too much or you love your treated hair even more.
20 Best Homemade Hair Packs
Natural Hair Spa Treatment at Home – DIY
Foods that Prevent Hair Loss
Split Hair Ends: Home Remedies and Treatment
Home Remedies for Blemishes
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels
Dry Skin Care: Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Frizzy Hair: Causes, Treatments, Products, Home Remedies
Home Remedies for White Teeth
Foods that can Help you Lose Weight
Top 10 Beauty Foods
Everything You Need to Know about Hair Smoothening