For years, fashion was focused on specific demographics of skinny women. But real women come in all shapes and sizes. More and more designers today, are playing with the idea of plus size fashion. With New York Fashion Week finally acknowledging and celebrating fashion for curvy women last week, we are hoping to see designers back home stand up to the needs and the rights of the average woman.
Following are some basic guidelines for plus size women fashion:
- Don’t buy clothes online. You need to TRY THEM ON, sit in them , move around and then purchase..
- ‘Dress up from head to toe in one tone – clothes which are a dark color like black, dark navy or dark red to aubergine gives the illusion of a slimmer figure because dark colours absorb light .
- Wear clothes that are the right size. It’s a myth that wearing oversized clothes will make you look thinner.Saggy, baggy clothing looks a mess and tight clothes will wrinkle and hike up when you move.
- Say complete NO to stretchy fabrics except for intimates: these cling to all the wrong places. Lycra in outer clothes, silk, rayon, and other jersey fabrics that have a sheen are the worst offenders.
- Wear heels. An increase in height balances your width.
- If you like bright colors save them for belts [ only wear if you have a waist ], handbags [ big ], shoes, hats, lipstick and nail varnish. Jordin Sparks rocks a plain black dress with a hot pink belt. Infact she was so much in love with this outfit that she wore something very similar again to the Jonas brothers’ tour.
- • A long length coat hides a lot of unwanted curves and is much better than chunky sweaters.
- Your posture can be your worst enemy. Look at yourself in a three-way
full-length mirror. If you hold your body up straight instead of slouching you’ll add at least an inch to your height.
- If you like to wear pants, a shift dress top will create a sleek line, making your silhouette look leaner.
- Wearing stripes can be tricky. If you must wear stripes, vertical rather than horizontal for a plus size dress, but the other way round if you are wearing a striped top over big bottomed pants. The top should be broader shouldered, and the stripes should be wide rather than narrow.
- Keep styling simple, yet classy, and forget the frills for now. The more volume your outfit gets, the fuller you look.
- Prints should be scaled for your body — no ditzy prints if you are large. In general, it’s the space between prints that makes them unflattering, so look for prints that have overlapping images.
- For women with heavy behind, flared skirts will cling to the backside but at the same time will not hug the thighs, giving a sexy rounded S-shape to the bum. Wearing tailored jackets that flare over the butt will also help as these will balance the butt, while giving a feminine appeal. Never wear jackets that end at the butt or high-waisted pants, these will only amplify a big booty.
- For women with heavy mid section, wearing a hemmed shirttail and ruched tops will cover the tummy at the front while lifting at the side creating a curvaceous effect. Similarly, low-waisted skirts will cling to the hips instead of the belly. Flat fronted side zipping pants are also great as they hold in the tummy with no bulking.
- Women with heavy arms have a tough time as arms are difficult to hide. Floating cuffs and fluted sleeves balance out wideness of arms. Display elegantly bejeweled wrists, stay with delicate bracelets.
- Empire waistlines and low necks help lengthen the look of the neck, keeping away the attention from the width of the body.Long jewelry chains/necklaces have the same effect.
- Avoid chokers and polo neck sweaters as these will give you the hunched look.
- Most importantly, facial distraction pays off. If you meet people with a beaming smile, that is the first thing that they will notice about you. It immediately takes the eyes to an up-down way of looking at you, rather than a side to side, so you appear slimmer. It will also put people you meet in a more positive mind-set to appreciate you and your fashion flair.
Jordin’s lovely smile does exactly that.
To smile, find your best feature and flaunt it! Show those legs, unbutton that cleavage, get a good strapless bra and wear that boob tube, let down your hair and just focus on something that makes you feel great about yourself .
Yes, being curvy and yet fashionable may not be easy at times, but girls, don’t be afraid to:
- Show those legs
Oprah shows off some skin!
- Wear high heels
Queen Latifah’s classic black heels
- Wear deep neck lines
- Layer clothing
No, layering does not make you look fatter. Infact, if done properly it cuts down your waist’s width.
- Wear bright colors
Jordin looks oh so yummy in this hot orange dress..
- Wear chunky jewellery
Farah Khan who is rarely well dressed, definitely knows how to wear this hot necklace.
- Go in for hottest new fashion trends..This fall lace is BIG! Wear it up in tops, dresses, scarves…
a stunning chocolate colored lace dress.
Plus size celebrities to look upto for great fashion sense and attitude: Jordin Sparks, Queen Latifah, Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Hudson, Nigella Lawson.. Sadly, no Indian makes to the list!
Places to shop for plus size clothing in India: Fabindia, Pantaloons, Shoppers stop, Lifestyle, Westside, Pluss, Just my size, Revolution, Pluz by Ebony and many others..
(pictures’ source: google)