Five Easy Tips to Jumpstart Your Exercise Regimen
Beauty and fitness go hand in hand. While beauty isn’t limited to any shape, size or number, a fit lifestyle gives you a glow and confidence that can’t really be mimicked by the use of cosmetics.
If you are planning to start an exercise regimen these five tips will surely help you get up and get going. It doesn’t matter whether you want to get fit for aesthetic purposes or for your health, the goal here is to get going!
Tip One: Set Realistic Goals
- If you haven’t run a kilometer in your entire life you won’t the next week. Perhaps it’s better to set a goal that you will walk about 1/4th of a kilometer first and then work from there.
- By setting unrealistic goals you are setting yourself up for failure before you begin.
- Conduct a mini stamina test- see how far you can workout for a day. Whether it is timing yourself on a treadmill or elliptical or seeing how far you can walk. Work your way up slowly and steadily.
- If you have a busy schedule, don’t commit to working out more than 3-4 times a week. While working out results in an increase in energy, you don’t want to exhaust yourself by overworking your body.
Start small for big results!
Tip Two: Make it a Family Affair
- Family and friends are the number one reason why people stick to bad habit. On the flipside these very people can be your motivators when it comes to getting fit.
- You know how the most mundane tasks become excited just by performing them with your best friend, spouse or children? Well get them to workout with you. This could be a walk, a swim or even just a game of tennis.
- Working out with family and friends makes it easier to track your progress too.
- Try to plan fun activities that involve being physically active. My family likes going to the park together, helps us spend time together and burn some calories. Two birds one stone!
Tip Three: Buy Workout Clothes/Shoes
- If you’re comfortable going to workout in your pajamas that’s great. But buying workout clothes can be a great motivator in starting a workout regime. You’ll never feel like being active in sloppy gear.
- You don’t have to burn a hole in your pocket. Just pick up a bright t-shirt and shorts/capris, doesn’t matter what the brand is, just make sure these are your special workout clothes.
- Remember when you buy sneakers it’s not the brand that matters, it’s the fit. Don’t buy shoes that are too tight or lose.
Tip Four: Pick a Soundtrack
- Listening to music greatly affects your how you feel. In fact Psychologists believe that behavior influences attitude and not the other way round. How can you use this to your benefit? Just listen to some “peppy” music that gets you going before or during your workout.
- If you’re feeling particularly lethargic on a certain day, just head to YouTube and play whatever video gets you excited and pumps up. Whether it is “Munni Badnam Hui” or “Baby I Like It” it doesn’t matter. But please try to stay away from songs that make you feel mellow, save them for nighttime.
- Listen to inspirational music, you know the kind that plays in movies when the protagonist goes against the odds and achieves something. Like “Eye of the Tiger” from the Rocky Movies or “Chak De India.” You choose your own soundtrack!
Tip Five: Don’t Body Shame Yourself
- Regardless of whether you are a size 12 or 2 do not under any circumstances call your body ugly or disgusting. This will NOT motivate you to get healthier.
- Remember you’ve got only one body, you have to love it. In order to get fitter you have to work with your body and not against it. You’re working out to change your body not replace it!
- Calling yourself names and putting yourself down will only lower your self-esteem, and not numbers on the scale.
- Think of it this way, would you be productive working with a coworker or peer you hate? Isn’t it easier to get results when you work with people that you like a get along with?
- Love yourself. Love waking up in your body – that’ll make you more likely to get out and get going with it.
Making a healthy change takes motivation not self-deprecation!
I hope these tips serve you well. If you try them let me know how that goes. Please share your own tips too!