Foods to Suppress Appetite
Hunger pangs and midnight binging are common hurdles that you encounter when you are trying to lose weight. If hunger pangs are standing between you and your ideal weight, you think of including appetite suppressants in your diet. Appetite suppressants can come in the form of pills or supplements that help you from overeating and binging. It’s not advisable to pop in pills, whether it’s an appetite suppressor or a weight loss pill, and that’s why we are here to help you with a list of top 45 Foods to suppress appetite and reduce hunger. Weave your diet chart around these food items to lose weight quickly. These natural appetite suppressors will help you shed extra pounds in a healthy and natural way. But before we start, we would like to reinforce the importance of getting enough sleep and reducing stress because excess stress can trigger the hormone cortisol in body which in turn increases food cravings and hunger pangs.
How To Suppress Appetite and Reduce Hunger with Food Items:
High-protein and high-fiber food items can help you lose fat by keeping you full for longer periods of time, and prevent food cravings. A high fiber food slows down your stomach emptying process and help in releasing hormones that make you feel full. Food items that are high in water, fiber, and protein all benefit your body by keeping you full for long period of time. Additionally, fiber has no calories at all and the best option in a weight loss diet.
What are Appetite Suppressants:
Appetite suppressants come in pill and supplement form mainly that prevent you from overeating and binging. Natural appetite suppressants are food items which help you control hunger hormones, such as ghrelin and leptin. Ghrelin and leptin levels get affected by stress levels, foods you have consumed, sleep, etc.
45 Foods To Suppress Appetite and Reduce Hunger:
1. Eggs: Eggs are extremely rich in protein and keep you full for long. Research has revealed that eggs can control your appetite for up to 36 hours. Eggs are one of the best weight-loss friendly foods, rich in protein, essential vitamins and minerals.
2. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is very rich in fiber. Oatmeal also helps increase the level of appetite-regulating hormone cholecystokinin and in turn control hunger pangs.
3. Cinnamon: If you desperately want to lose weight, this is one food item that should be in your diet. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar and controls hunger too. Cinnamon is a flavourful spice and helps burn fat too.
4. Chia seeds: Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fibre, all of which help you to control hunger.
5. Apple: Apples are very low in calories and fat content, and because of its high fiber content, they act as natural appetite suppressor.
6. Banana: Bananas have high levels of resistant starch and that makes them a hunger-resistant food.
7. Garcinia Cambogia: Garcinia is a tart fruit found in tropical climate. It’s also called Malabar tamarind and is fast-gaining as a weight loss supplement in the west.
8. Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds have soluble fiber and essential fatty acids. Flaxseeds help you to stay full for long with its fiber content. Flaxseeds are also a good source of omega-6 fatty acids, which may increase the level of appetite-suppressing hormone cholecystokinin.
9. Greek yogurt: This is a high-protein appetite suppressant.
10. Water: Drinking water before meals and in between the meal can make you feel fuller quickly and keep you that way for long.
11. Almonds: Protein, fat, and fiber content in almonds helps to curb appetite.
12. Coffee: Decaffeinated coffee can lower hunger pangs and keep you from craving junk food.
13. Ginger: Ginger is not only an appetite controller, it also helps in burning fat, and boosting up metabolism, so that you would lose weight quickly.
14. Cayenne Power: Cayenne pepper not only controls appetite, it will burn up the extra calories too.
15. Sweet Potatoes: According to studies, sweet potatoes have a type of starch that resists digestive enzymes, stay in the stomach for longer, and keep you full longer.
16. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate would help you from having frequent cravings with its bitter taste that helps the brain to decrease your appetite. The steric acid in dark chocolate helps slow digestion to help you feel fuller longer.
17. Tofu: Tofu has high genistein content, which controls appetite.
18. Green Tea: Catechins in green tea helps the movement of glucose into fat cells, which slows up blood sugar. Green tea has an enzyme EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) that increases the cholecystokinin, which is responsible for creating the feeling of fullness.
19. Spinach and Leafy Vegetables: High water and fibre content in spinach and leafy vegetables make you feel full for longer.
20. Salad: Eating salad with lettuce, leafy vegetables and nuts can replace your high-calorie food easily.
21. Whey Protein: Whey protein can have a strong effect hunger hormones.
22. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: A diet rich in omega-3 fats increases fullness after meals.
23. Protein Shakes: High-protein shakes can increase feelings of fullness and decrease total calorie intake.
24. Chickpeas or kabuli chana: Chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, and slow down digestion. They also increase appetite-reducing hormones in the body.
25. Guava: Guavas are absolutely free of fat and are natural appetite suppressants.
26. Green peas: Green peas boost metabolism, controls sugar levels, and act as appetite controllers.
27. Cauliflower: If you are into keto diet, you can easily replace rice with grated cauliflower. They make you feel fuller for long.
28. Broccoli: Like cauliflower, broccoli is a weight-loss friendly food.
29. Soy products: Soy foods increase your satiety and belong to weight-loss friendly group.
30. Beans/Lentils: Lentils and legumes help fight cravings.
31. Honey: Suppresses hunger and the hormone ghrelin, it keeps you fuller for long.
32. Mint: It’s a soothing food item, also an effective appetite suppressant.
33. Avocado: Avocados are full of healthy monounsaturated fats that help keep you full.
34. Lemon: Lemon juice has pectin which suppresses cravings. You can add honey to burn extra calories.
35. Pears: Pears are very low in calories and fat content, and because of its high fiber content, they act as natural appetite suppressor.
36. Soup: Taking soup will make you eat less through the day.
37. Saffron Extract: Saffron extract has proven benefits and helps to suppress appetite, and also reduces sugar cravings.
38. Grapefruit essential oil: Helps to activate enzymes in the saliva which in turns promotes weight loss by breaking down body fat.
39. Fruits: Most fruits like apple, banana, pears help to suppress appetite.
40. Turmeric: Spices like turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon help increase body’s ability to burn fat and they also suppress hunger levels.
41. Black Pepper: Black pepper also helps burn fat effectively and control hunger too.
42. Pistachios: Eating pistachios will help keep your hunger in check.
43. Foxtail millet: Foxtail millet is rich in carbohydrates that do not increase blood sugar levels. It is also rich in dietary fiber, and keeps you full for long.
44. Carrot: Carrots are diet-friendly food that would curb your appetite.
45. Moringa leaves/powder: Because of its high-protein content, moringa leaves and powder can suppress your appetite.