WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Hey gorgeous gals,
Today’s review is on a skin care product and it’s probably the most expensive product in my vanity! Being on the wrong side of 30, I thought it was about time I upped my skin care game. Picking up a mechanical cleanser was inevitable, the choice was between the much-loved Clarisonic and Foreo Luna. I know people love the Clarisonic and swear by it, but I have heard equally horrifying experiences. The biggest issue for me was that I didn’t have the option of try before you buy, so it seemed like a big risk and for someone like me, who has struggled with skin issues from her teenage years, I just wasn’t up to experiencing “purging.” And to tip the scales further, IMBB got flooded with a couple of Foreo reviews in May and my mind was made up. So, this review will be on Foreo’s new version, the Luna 2. I will be reviewing the one for combination skin.
A waterproof cleansing and anti-aging device for combination skin types that deeply cleanses while improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles for radiant, firm, youthful-looking skin. Luna 2 cleansing and anti-aging device deeply cleanses with up to 8,000 T-Sonic™ (transdermal sonic) pulsations per minute channeled through silicone touch-points. It smooths the appearance of lines and wrinkles with lower-frequency pulsations—leaving skin looking and feeling radiant, firmer, and more elastic while helping to improve absorption of your favorite skin care products. Bigger brush: the brush surface area is 40 percent larger than the Luna’s, enabling it to cover a larger surface area of skin for more efficient cleansing in the same amount of time. It features a range of brush heads that are optimized to offer specialized cleansing, meeting the specific needs of different facial areas. Longer touch-points: for a remarkable balance of power and gentleness, the touch-points are 26 percent longer than the Luna’s to allow for more flexibility when the touch-points make contact with the skin, preventing any pulling or stretching to preserve the skin’s natural elasticity. These ultra-long touch-points are also much narrower to reach areas of your face that are typically hard to cleanse. Enhanced T-Sonic cleansing system: With 12 intensities and a motor that is twice as powerful, the pulsations dislodge more impurities from the pores, providing deeper cleansing and more effective antiaging while still remaining gentle on the skin.
BUY IT FROM: DERMSTORE | SEPHORA | ASOS | MACYS
My Experience with Foreo Luna 2 for Combination Skin:
Packaging: The product comes packaged in a cardboard box with a velvet pouch and a USB charger included in the kit along with a user manual. The Foreo Luna 2 launched fairly recently – the first quarter of this year. It comes in 2 variants – the Foreo Luna 2 and the Foreo Mini 2. Apart from this, the original version of Foreo is still available in Full size, Mini and Play version.
The full size Foreo Luna 2 has further 5 variants:
1. Purple for Sensitive skin
2. Light Blue for Combination skin – the one which is being reviewed here
3. Pink for Normal skin
4. Turquoise for Oily Skin
5. Black for Men
I had a tough time trying to figure which one to pick since I have “combination to oily skin,” which is kind of sensitive plus I really wanted the purple one. 😉 Finally, I gave up on the color and went with what my skin needed most and chose the one meant for combination skin.
How does the product work – You apply a creamy/foam cleanser on your face and put on this device. You move the device (the brush side) all over your face in circular motions – covering your full face by dividing it into 4 zones – left cheek, right cheek, forehead and the middle portion consisting of your mouth and nose area. Once switched on, the light on the base of the device comes on and the device starts pulsating. You start with one area of your face, and after a few seconds, there is a quick slight change in the pulsation, indicating you to move to the next area. This ensures you do not spend more time than necessary on any one area. The transdermal sonic pulsations of the Luna 2, dislodge the dirt and sebum from the skin and the pores, allowing you to get a much cleaner skin – than what you would get from a regular cleanser. Over time, the more effective cleaning results in clearer, more even-toned skin and lesser breakouts. You can manage the intensity of the pulsation – there are + and – sign buttons which allow you to variate the intensity. In all probability, you will not really be changing this too often once you know what intensity works best for you. However, to begin with, it’s nice to start with lower intensity and increase to the level that is comfortable for you. Luna 2 boasts of 12 intensity settings. Once through, you can just switch it off and rinse the device under water – it is waterproof.
Thing to remember – avoid cleansers which are abrasive like the ones with micro-exfoliating beads and the ones with clay since those can spoil the silicon brush head – rendering it to be – ineffective or rough on skin or dirty or resulting in your Luna 2 harbouring germs.
The other side of the Luna 2 is supposed to work as an anti-ageing device. This side is supposed to be used post application of the serum on the face. So, once you have applied the serum, gently rub the pulsating device for 10-12 seconds on each of the areas of concern – the areas where you are getting fine lines. These could be around your mouth, around the nose, outer corner of your eyes (crow’s feet), or like me – between my brows (frown lines). The pulsating rhythm of the device ensure better penetration of the serum into the skin. Will it suddenly make the fine lines disappear? I doubt that. I think the efficacy of this side lies in better penetration of the skin care product.
Although, it’s not fair to compare an oscillating device like Clarisonic to a pulsating device like Luna 2; however, I know this question is bound to arise in your mind. I will share the points which made me pick the Luna 2 over the Clarisonic.
1. Amount of contact: The Clarisonic actually scrubs the surface of your skin. There is distinctly more contact and it can be quite abrasive. Yes, this can ensure a better, more effective/thorough cleaning. However, the flip side is that if your skin is too sensitive, it can cause your skin to break out. The breakouts could be your skin purging while its adjusting to the new device, or it could just be your skin not accepting it and the only way to know the difference is to keep at it. This prospect was not agreeable to me. Nor was the possibility of ending up with an expensive device which may eventually not work for me at all.
2. Recurring cost. This was a big criteria in my selection of Luna 2. The Clarisonic has detachable brush heads which need to be replaced regularly. The issue with it are two fold – the actual cost of replacing each time. Also, the fact that these are not readily available in India. So, not only do you need to buy an expensive piece regularly, you have to buy it at a mark up. Whereas, in case of a Foreo Luna 2, it’s a one-time purchase, no recurring hidden costs.
3. Hygiene – This factor again was clinically clear for me because I am a bit of a germophobe. The Foreo Luna 2 is made of non-porous silicone and is easy to clean – just rinse it in water and you are done. However, the Clarisonic brush needs to be thoroughly cleansed to ensure it does not harbor bacteria. Also, the base of the brush head, which attaches itself to the handle and in a normal scenario, does not get cleaned/ disinfected on a daily basis, can harbor germs easily.
There are other differences in the 2 devices like the number of uses with one charge – Foreo gives you 6 months of use with one battery charge if you use it twice a day. So, if you are using once a day, one charge will probably last you a year! Can’t beat that! Also, Foreo has the massaging anti-ageing side. However, these points didn’t really weigh in on my decision.
Having said that, I know that a lot of readers have found their best friend in Clarisonic and love the device. Let me state emphatically, with so much love for Clarisonic, I am sure it’s an excellent device. However, what I have mentioned above is just my view on it and how I came to decide what is more likely to fit into my regime and work for me.
You can use the LUNA 2 twice daily – every day. However, to begin with, I used it once daily on alternate days and then moved it up to once, every day. I rarely ever use it twice a day because I don’t feel the need for that.
I feel that with regular use of this product, my skin definitely has improved, it feels distinctly clearer without the stretchy feel. It seems more even toned and luminous. I love the fact that I finally bit the bullet and picked up this piece – it’s worth every penny!
Before I close the review, a quick update on the differences between Luna and Luna 2. Please note, I have not used the original LUNA. However, the differences have been penned by the brand in the product description itself. Also, some of them are visible on site. The size of both products is the same, however, the differences are:
1. Foreo has increased the surface area of the cleansing brush, as well as the anti-ageing massager, by 50%
2. The brush points are softer and longer
3. The original is now available for $169, while Luna 2 is priced at $199
4. Luna 2 is much stronger than Luna, delivering double the amount of pulsations per minute (around 16,000 compared to 8,000 of Luna)
5. Luna had 8 speed/intensity settings while this one has 12.
6. The silicone body of Luna 2 is supposed to be thicker and more sturdier.
If you already have the Luna, it might not make sense to buy a new Luna 2. However, if the question is whether to buy Luna original or Luna 2 – it’s a no-brainer. For the extra $30, you are definitely getting a better device.
To sum this up for you:
Pros of Foreo Luna 2 for Combination Skin:
- One-time investment – recurring/hidden costs.
- More effective cleaning than with your hands.
- Can be used twice daily, I prefer to use it once.
- Travel friendly – not many attachments to carry, not even a charger.
- Once charged, it can last you a whole year.
- Waterproof, about 1 metre.
- Less abrasive than oscillating brush devices.
- Non-porous silicone, does not harbor germs.
- Anti-ageing massaging side which improves penetration of skin care products while giving a light massage to the face.
- Feels extremely gentle on the skin.
- Very effective in lifting grime, excess sebum, etc from the skin and cleaning the pores.
- Does not cause the skin to feel tight.
- You can feel the skin becoming radiant and clear with regular use.
- Rinses off easily.
Cons of Foreo Luna 2 for Combination Skin:
- For people who like more contact while cleansing (like that with Clarisonic) – may not find this up to their liking.
If you are on the wrong side of 30 and want to up your skin care game, this is an excellent investment. But note, this is an investment – you have to bite the bullet and shell the $199. If you are a working woman or a busy mom or just about anyone pressed for time – who still cares for her skin – do check this product. I am not sure if Sephora India stocks this, but I do know that a couple of International e-commerce sites do have this available for sale in India. Otherwise, Sephora across the globe stocks them. I know it’s a big investment. So, if you have any further questions pertaining to the product, feel free to drop in a comment and I will try my best to address it.
Foreo Luna Mini Facial Cleansing Brush
Foreo Luna for Sensitive/Normal Skin
Foreo Luna Play Facial Cleansing Brush
Clarisonic Mia 3 (Aria) 3 Speed Facial Sonic Cleanser
Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System
How to Care for Combination Skin
Skin Care Routine For Combination Skin