Pimples and bumps on the scalp is a common problem during summers, especially if you have an oily scalp! Whether it is because of your excessively active oil glands or because of hormonal imbalance, scalp acne can be such a bother! With scalp itchiness and painful bumps, it becomes quite painful to even comb hair. Women often tend to notice accelerated hair fall too with In this post, we are going to find ways to overcome this problem of scalp acne.
Causes of Scalp Acne and Pimples:
A number of factors are responsible for scalp acne, here are the most common causes:
- Hormonal imbalance that often leads to overactive oil glands.
- Frequent application of hairstyling products that causes product buildup.
- Seasonal changes.
- Dietary habits.
- Greasy scalp.
- Unclean scalp due to irregular shampooing and poor hair care regimen.
- Frequent shampooing with harsh shampoos.
- Use of harsh, chemical-laden hair care products.
- Hereditary factors.
Hence the first step to treating scalp acne to ensure that you do away with any or many of these causes which can be responsible for your scalp acne. Try to treat dandruff as early as possible. Clean your scalp regularly and ensure that you allow no buildups. Eat a healthy and balanced diet, drink loads of water and never expose your scalp to the direct rays of sun if you are already suffering from scalp acne. Take proper care of your hair and scalp. You should also see a physician to see if it’s because of your hormonal problems.
How to Treat Scalp Acne- Basic Guidelines
Here are the basic things to do if you want to treat scalp acne:
1. Use the right kind of shampoo. Use a mild shampoo which has healing properties. According to the nature of your problem, you can look for shampoos with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
2. Ideally, you should wash your oily scalp and hair every alternate day. This sounds exaggerated as we all know that excessive shampooing tends to damage hair. But trust me, this is a necessity. Use a mild shampoo suitable for regular use or make your own Reetha shampoo for the purpose.
3. Never use conditioners on your scalp as it is like poison for oily scalp. Get more ideas on this from my article- How to treat an oily scalp.
4. Use hair cleansing products containing salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, coal tar, cortisone, zinc and such other ingredients do help.
5. It is equally important to know what you need to avoid in your hair care products. Propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, mineral oil, alcohol, lanolin and parabens are some of them.
6. Use azelaic acid containing products to clear up acne effectively.
How to Treat Scalp Home through Home Remedies:
Regular use of home remedies is very helpful in treating scalp acne. However you need to be religious in following them and be patient.
Here are a few easy scalp acne home remedies that you can check out:
1. Rub fresh garlic on your scalp acne as well as the areas around them.
2. Grind small onions and squeeze out the juice. Massage on the scalp and leave it on. Do it at least 2 hours before you shampoo. This can be done everyday or on alternate days. Apart from treating scalp acne, it also treats hair loss problems.
3. Boil neem leaves in water and use it as a hair rinse. Neem has antiseptic properties.
4. Mix rose water and lime juice in equal quantities and leave it on for at least for one hour on your scalp. Wash off.
5. Use a paste of fenugreek and water to treat scalp acne.
6. Try adding a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo while cleansing your hair.
7. Take 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. Now add 1 tsp of coconut oil to make a paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and rinse off after 20 minutes.
8. Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar can not just clear acne on the face, it can balance the pH level and clear out the itchiness and bumps on the scalp. Mix 2 tsp of ACV with 2 tsp of water and apply on the scalp. Rinse hair after one hour.
9. Aloe vera: Apply raw aloe vera gel directly on the scalp and wash off after one hour.
10. Honey: In 1/4th cup curd/yogurt, add 2 tsp of honey and aloe vera gel, mix well. Apply on the scalp, keep for 2 hours, and rinse hair.
11. Nutmeg: Nutmeg has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Take 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder and add half cup of curd. Mix well and apply thoroughly on the scalp. Rinse off after 30 minutes.
12. Neem oil: Neem oil has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties and it’s one of the best ingredients to treat acne. Take neem oil on a cotton ball and apply directly to the affected area. Keep it overnight and rinse off in the morning.
13. Lavender oil: Lavender oil eliminates dandruff, treats itchy scalp and scalp acne. It is also great to help grow out hair when combined with olive oil. Mix a few drops of lavender oil with 2 tsp of coconut oil and apply directly on to scalp. Rinse off after 1 hour.
14. Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil: Take 2 tsp of olive oil and mix 5 drops of tea tree oil. Apply this on to your scalp and rinse hair after 1 hour.
How To Treat Scalp Acne Effectively:
• Reduce the intake as well as application of oily products. They aggravate the problem of acne.
• Do not use things which transfer the oil on your face to your scalp. One such thing is a headband.
• Keep your pillow covers clean, never share towels.
• Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Do not forget to consult a dermatologist if the problem persists or gets worse day by day.
How Scalp Acne is Treated through Topical Treatments under Doctor’s Guidance:
A variety of topical treatments as well as oral medications are available for scalp acne. It is best to consult your dermatologist or a physician before resorting to any. Some of these topical treatments include erythromycin, clindamycin based medicines. Also, salicylic-based shampoos work best to clear the scalp. Azelaic acid-based ointments have also known to help clear up acne and bumps. Doctors also prescribe oral antibiotics and medicines like Isotretinoin, Accutane, Doxycycline, Minocycline and Tetracycline to treat scalp acne in extreme cases.