WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Have you ever noticed how your face looks unusually puffed up in pictures after a dinner night? Bloating is commonly associated with processed foods and high salt intake, but certain foods can cause puffiness on the face too. According to experts, foods that are known to cause facial bloating are often high in sodium or monosodium glutamate (MSG). Puffy face is also called as “sushi face,” as stated by actress Julianne Moore. It usually occurs after eating meals with high sodium like pizza, noodles, French fries, and even sushi (due to refined carbs and soy sauce). Also, after eating a heavy meal that is rich in sodium, the body needs to balance things out, so it holds water in certain places in the body including the face. Here are some tips that would help you to get rid of puffy face.
There is no specific way to avoid water retention on face, as many foods are high in sodium but you could definitely skip certain foods 3-4 days prior to any special event/occasion. Check this list of foods to avoid, especially during night time to avoid puffy face in the morning.
List of foods to avoid during night:
2. Processed meats like chicken, mutton ham, bacon, and salami
5. Fried chips
6. French fries
7. Alcoholic beverages
9. Carbonated drinks
Quick Fixes to Reduce Facial Puffiness:
1. Jade rollers: Lately, jade rollers are rolling everywhere. This technique has been beneficial to boost circulation and assist in lymphatic drainage, helping your skin look radiant and bright within a matter of minutes.
2. Ice water splash: This is another popular way tighten your pores and constrict those blood vessels which can help the swelling go down. It is popularly called as the “Jamsu” method. This method has been popularized by Katrina Kaif! She usually fills a bowl of icy water with ice cubes and dips her face in the bowl for a few seconds. Say hello to fresh-looking glowing face!
3. Work out: Cardio exercise is also believed to help with facial bloating. Set your alarm clock and get your daily run in the morning. Not only you will get rid of puffiness, but in the process, would also shed some extra pounds.
4. Check your diet: If you want to take one further step to reduce water retention, have a look at your entire day’s diet. You may want to consider incorporating certain herbs while cooking like parsley, fennel, and cumin.
5. Eat lighter meals at night: Fruits and vegetables are high in vitamins, mineral, antioxidants, fiber, and at the same time, they are low in sodium and unwanted fat. You can safely consume fruits, vegetables, curd, soups, lean meat, eggs etc. without your face swelling up.
6. Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated throughout the day and night can significantly help to reduce water retention, stomach bloating, thus reducing the chance of facial puffiness.
Facial puffiness isn’t a matter of concern, it just might make you feel self-conscious, but if you experience symptoms like upset stomach or hives along with facial swelling, then you should definitely book an appointment with a doctor. Till then, stay hydrated and updated!