Grocery List For Those Who Want To Lose Weight
We have shared with you some weight loss posts with regards to foods – some which can help to burn body fat and some other food items which can help you in the overall weight loss process. Today, we have come up with a complete grocery list which includes stuff that you should add in your cart when you are out grocery shopping. It’s not all about burning calories, it’s also about not adding any extra calories which can store up as fat in your body. The items in this list will also help you maintain weight along with providing the necessary vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and nutrients. It’s important to eat a healthy and balanced diet instead of starving yourselves to lose weight. Also remember – no aerated beverages or refined sugar that pile up empty calories to your body. Also, no canned and preserved food because the added preservatives contain high calories in terms of high sugar and salt. So, check out this list and tell me what’s missing, and also add them up in the comments below.
- Olive oil: Replace vegetable oil and refined oil with olive oil which is rich in heart-healthy monosaturated fats and decreases bad cholesterol. Monosaturated fats help in losing weight, so that’s why olive oil is a must.
- Maple syrup: There’s a very famous cleansing diet with lemon-cayenne pepper-maple syrup which is hailed as a slimming potion too. Maple syrup has more than 50 antioxidant and you can use it in place of refined sugar.
- Jaggery: Consumption of jaggery helps you in flushing out toxins from the body, clearing out the airway, and since it’s rich in potassium, iron, and other minerals, it’s much better than refined sugar.
- Eggs: Eggs are considered to be a superfood if you are planning weight loss. In facts, eggs are considered the best way to start a day. Eggs are a powerhouse of proteins, selenium, vitamin D, and other vital nutrients. Certain researches have shown that eggs contain an ingredient which helps to cut down on the calories that people go on and eat during lunch and dinner. Additionally, egg keeps one fuller for longer thereby cutting the body’s craving for additional cravings in the form of unhealthy snacks.
- Whole grains/Cereals: These whole grains and cereals are important in weight loss process because our body would need twice the amount of calories to break down food rich in fiber. Therefore, more calories burnt to digest such food.
- Brown rice: Don’t pick polished rice, pick brown rice because it is rich in nutrients and fiber which needs a lot of calories to be broken down.
- Lean Meat: Lean meat is rich in proteins and need a lot of calorie expenditure to be broken down.
- Low Fat Cheese: It’s rich in calcium and will help boost your metabolism.
- Green Tea: I don’t think I need to explain much here. Green tea is full of antioxidants which flush out toxins and free radicals from your body. Also, it boosts up metabolism and helps to cut down calories. Stock up on it.
- Lentils: Lentils are rich in iron and other nutrients which boosts up metabolism.
- Green Pepper/Red Pepper: Peppers have a compound called “capsaicin” which can boost up your metabolism and help you in burning up the extra calories.
- Green vegetables: Green vegetables provide you with the necessary vitamins and nutrients, are low in calories, and do not add fat to your body.
- Apples: A lot of apples a day can keep fat away too! Apples boost up your metabolism and provide the much-needed vitamins, minerals, and fibers without adding too many calories.
- Lemon: Remember, you need to get lemons to make that warm water+lemon concoction to flush out toxins from your body every morning.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a low fat and high-protein food, a choice of those who are into dieting. Your body burns a lot of calories to burn high fiber and high protein food, so pick up oatmeal, lots of it! Oatmeal also makes you fuller for long hours, thus you would not feel the need to binge in at frequent intervals on unhealthy snacks.
- Corn flakes: Corn flakes are packed with protein and fiber. Also, you can include lots of nuts and berries in your corn flakes for breakfast.
- Multigrain Atta: Multigrain atta or flour has a combo of wheat/ragi/oats/maize/soya bean, so it’s supremely healthy and nutritious.
- Fennel seeds: Fennel seeds act as appetite suppressant, boost up metabolism, and helps in burning fat. They also aid in digestion. Boil fennel seeds in water and drink it every day to lose weight the healthy way.
- Garlic: Garlic boosts up metabolism, contains antioxidants, and aids in calorie consumption. Include a few garlic pods in your diet.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon helps you in consuming up the carbohydrates by boosting up the metabolism, cutting down cholesterol level, and regulates blood sugar levels. You can drink cinnamon with honey to cut down calories.
- Papaya: It contains a lot of vitamins, fiber, and also an enzyme “papain,” which breaks down protein in your body.
- Ginger: Ginger increases body’s metabolism, suppresses appetite, has a good amount of antioxidants to fight free radicals.
- Jalapenos: Like chillies, jalapenos can boost your metabolism and burn the calories faster, but beware, too much will not only hurt your tongue, it can burn your digestive system.
- Tomatoes: Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, they reduce water retention. Tomatoes have leptin which regulates the hunger hormone.
- Bananas: Bananas provide ample fiber to the body and also can actually delay your food cravings by making you feel full for a longer period of time. Also, it has a type of fiber called as “resistant starch,” which resists digestion and thus do not add calories to your body, instead it reaches the large intestine and act as dietary fiber.
- Nuts: Nuts like pistachios, walnuts, almonds have high nutritional content and do not add high calorific value to your diet. They in fact have good cholesterol which keeps your heart healthy.
- Onions: Onions contain a compound called as quercetin which acts against fat absorption in the body.
- Flaxseeds: Flax seeds high in omega-3 fatty acids which suppresses appetite.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Strawberries can accelerate metabolism and suppress appetite.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is loaded with vitamin A, C, and calcium. It also has a powerful antioxidant called beta carotene. It does not add any heavy calories in your body.
- Green Peas: Green peas have less calories compared to other high carb foods. Green peas provide protein content to your diet too.
- Fish: Fish does not have any fat content. It has omega-3 fatty acids that’s good for your hair, skin, and heart.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a good substitute for the high calorie meat stuff in your diet. Mushrooms help you to shed/maintain weight by regulating blood sugar levels.
- Low fat yogurt/curd: Yogurt is a good source of calcium. It supplies your digestive tract with healthy bacteria. Yogurt aids in better digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Probiotic drinks: Probiotics help you maintain a healthy gut and aids in digestion.
- Carrots: Rich in vitamin A, must have.
- Wholegrain bread: Simply because it’s much healthier than brown bread or white bread.
- Honey: People have been drinking the lemon+honey+warm water tonic every morning to lose weight. Honey has a combination of natural sugars and because of these sugars, you won’t crave for refined sugar. If you haven’t heard about the honey diet yet, I will add more details in the future posts for you.
- Bluberry/raspberry: Full of antioxidants, these are healthy snacks when you want to binge on something. However, do not buy the preserved or salted ones – they are a big waste.
- Watermelon: Can fill you up without adding any calories.
- Natural Vinegar: It can help break down fat.
- Apple cider vinegar: It effects body’s ability to break down starch. It interferes with the digestion so that less starch gets broken down into calories and released into the blood stream.
- Sweet Potato: Full of fiber and proteins. Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber and also helps reduce blood sugar level.
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter seems like a lot of calories and a bad choice, but studies have revealed that peanut butter contains monosaturated fats, good for heart and health and these lower the bad cholesterol.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc (would be great for healthy hair too). Zinc helps the body to produce the fat-burning hormone testosterone. Pumpkin seeds also contain calcium and magnesium, and iron. You can roast pumpkin seeds or add them to your salads and yogurt.
- Quinoa: Many celebrities are replacing cereals with quinoa in their breakfast. Quinoa is high in protein, vitamin B which will help boost your metabolism and help in burning fat.
- Muesli: It’s a combo of toasted nuts, oats, wheat and dried fruits. It’s nutritious and with skimmed milk makes a perfect breakfast.
- Sprouts: Nothing healthier than a bowl of sprouts.
- Cauliflower: Low calorie vegetable loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants. Does not contain starch.
- Cucumbers: Water rich, for your salads, you can much on it, does not add any calories.
- Eggplant/Brinjal: Does not add calories, tasty vegetable.
- Lettuce: High in vitamin, minerals, and fiber. Your salads and sandwiches would be incomplete without this.
- Okra/ladies finger: A tasty vegetable, does not add calories to your body.
- Spirulina supplement: It’s a blue-green algae and full of nutrients and vitamins. If you are dieting, this superfood will provide your body with the necessary nutrients.
- Cantaloupe: A low-calorie fruit which you can use to make healthy smoothies.
- Figs: Low in calories, high in nutrients and energy, improves digestion, high in fiber. Rich in antioxidants.
- Kiwi: Low in calories, antioxidants. Low-glycemic food, speeds up metabolism. Contains a compound called as carnitine which converts stored fats into calories which you can burn with workout.
- Prunes: Rich in fiber, good laxative. Though they are a bit high in calories, they keep you full for long periods. Also provide the body with ample fiber, suppresses appetite.
- Avocado: Avocado supplies the body with fiber, potassium, and other nutrients and also monosaturated fats which are good for your body. Though avocados are high in calories, most of these are monosaturated oleic acid, which the body uses up.
- Tofu: Tofu is low in calories and is a low-glycemic food that do not affect the blood sugar levels much.
- Aloe vera juice: Increases immunity, aids in weight loss.
- Low fat mayonnaise: If you love the taste of mayonnaise like me, pick up the fat-free one.
- Sugar free jams: Low in calories.
- Sugar free: Less in calories, great substitute for refined sugar.
- Sukha Bhel/Dry Bhel: Low in calories, but healthy snacks to munch on. You can add fresh tomatoes, onions, and coriander leaves to make it more tasty.
- Khakra: I love khakras – low in fat and oil – they are a good snacking option and available in a variety of flavors like methi, raggi, garlic, etc.
- Dates: You gotta get these in your every grocery shopping, high in minerals and nutrients. They provide instant energy and if you are crash dieting, nothing better than dates, it’s a super food.
- Wheat/Oat biscuits: Any day much better, nutritious, and healthier than your cream/whole purpose flour (maida) biscuits.
Well, this is my exhaustive list of groceries. Neha and Rati also helped me with this list. Please do feel free to add your favorites to this list, I will be glad to list it out in the main post. Thanks for reading 🙂
Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
How to Lose Weight in 4 Weeks- Diet Chart for Weight Loss
Foods Which Can Help You in the Weight Loss Process
How to Lose Weight in One Month- Diet Chart for Weight Loss (Part 2)
Food for Weight Loss
Weight Loss WIth Fruit Diet
Top 5 Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes
10 Fat Burning Foods
Foods Which Can Help You in the Weight Loss Process
Top 10 Foods to Reduce Belly Bloating
10 Golden Rules to Weight Loss
Bollywood Actresses Who Have Had Dramatic Weight Loss
4 thoughts on “Grocery List For Those Who Want To Lose Weight”
Whoa…what a comprehensive list…thank u so much…ll follow this list from tomorrow..
omgggggggggggggggggggggg jomol I love you!
I always make lists for good food and diet food when i go 😀
OHHHHHH that an hugeeee List.. Pls Tell How to maple syrup
what a huge n perfect list.. bookmarked 🙂