Some of us are born with beautiful and healthy hair, the second category comprises of women who are not blessed with naturally beautiful hair but they can surely work towards attaining the same. Finally, there is also a bunch of unlucky women who come in the third category who lost the sheen, shine, and softness due to pollution, health conditions, wrong use of haircare products, and even nutritional deficiencies. However, don’t get disheartened, it’s possible to regain shine and softness in the hair by following certain habits. In this article, we list down habits that you should absolutely follow to get healthy and soft hair.
1. Keep Scalp Always Clean: Healthy hair can be achieved only through clean hair and scalp. Use a shampoo that suits your hair type, does a decent cleansing job, and does not cause buildup. If you are an outdoor sort of a person, you should use a mild shampoo every alternate day. The best shampoo is one which contains no SLS, SLES, silicones and unwanted chemicals to ensure that you do not damage the health of your hair while removing impurities. You can also make your own herbal homemade shampoo – here’s a “Herbal Homemade Shampoo That Also Prevent Hair Loss.”
2. Keep Those Precious Strands Nourished: Oils nourish your hair in the most convenient way possible. Use coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and castor oil, either individually or after mixing a few of them together. Use nourishing hair packs to maintain the health of your hair. Use eggs, bananas, curd, honey, amla powder, shikakai powder etc for preparing a suitable hair mask. You can also use henna hair packs (5 Homemade Henna Hair Packs For Gorgeous Hair) that also impart a subtle color to hair, and at the same time, help cover grey hair too.
3. Treat Hair Problems From the Root: Hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp – find the root cause. If it is about iron deficiency, consult a doctor for supplements. For hair fall, correct nutritional deficiencies first.
4. Apply Raw Juices To Tackle Hair Woes: Oils like olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil are great for your hair. Massage hair oil on scalp to promote blood circulation, prevent hair loss, offer nourishment to hair roots and relive dryness. However, if you have oily hair and scalp, do not use oil as you would harm your hair health in that case. Go for other alternatives. For instance, sulphur promotes hair health. Use onion juice for the purpose. Amla juice contains every possible nutrient that your hair and scalp needs and at the same time, it keeps scalp free from oil. Use amla juice or onion juice directly on scalp. Lemon juice is also great to treat dandruff and itchy scalp.
5. Use Good-Quality Hair Products: Advertisements often tend to misguide you. Do not believe blindly what they claim. Make sure that you invest in a product that suits you, and not the brand ambassador in the advertisement. For instance, if you have dry hair, use shampoo and conditioner meant for dry hair because that will help to relieve dryness and give your hair a smoother appearance.
6. Follow a Healthy Diet For Beautiful Hair: Eat healthy to get healthy locks. Include proteins, vitamins, iron and minerals in the right way. Make it a point to include the fresh juice of two amla, 4 or 5 almonds, 3 or 4 cashews, 2 or 3 dates, two spoons of honey, a fruit, an egg and at least a piece of fish (fish oil is very good for hair). Check out the Rati Beauty diet that also helps you lose weight as well by eating nutrient-dense food. Also, drinking lots of water to flush out toxins is also important.
7. Cut Down use of Chemicals and Heat on Hair: Heating, curling, straightening, perming, hair styling gels, coloring and bleaching are a strict no-no! Pollution, UV rays, are also damaging on hair – always cover hair with a scarf while stepping outside.
8. Take the Right Supplements: It is always great if you can get your dose of nutrients through food, it may be a necessity for you to add some vitamin, iron or cod-liver supplements. Always go for doctor’s advice before going for any of these supplements.
9. Be Gentle with your Hair: Treat your hair the way it deserves. Be gentle and follow some simple tips. Avoid things like combing wet hair when hair roots are weak, leaving hair open while going to bed as that makes hair more prone to tangles and split-ends, over combing of hair and skipping shampooing hair for a long time.
10. Follow a Proper Haircare Routine: Hair care is not something you should be doing once in a blue moon. Be regular in your approach. Hair cleansing should be done 3 times a week, use hair oils or amla juice/onion juice etc 2 or 3 times a week before hair cleansing and use hair packs once in a week or two weeks.
Healthy hair is something you acquire. Whether you wear your hair long or short, have it thick or thin, shiny or not so shiny, it is important that your hair is healthy, sans dandruff, sans hair loss problems and sans hair breakage problem. Healthy hair is beautiful hair.