Shoulder and Back Acne
Acne is a big skincare woe and when you become conscious about wearing sleeveless and backless dresses because of breakouts on your chest and shoulders, it’s a cause of concern. A lot of factors can trigger acne on back, chest, and shoulders but the way acne develops remains the same. Impurities, oil, sebum, and dirt get trapped in hair follicles and bacteria starts feeding on them and that’s when zits and acne show up. Acne can also be caused by hormonal imbalance, allergic reaction, excess oil production, etc. Oil glands can go into overwork on shoulders, chest, and back and these glands can get clogged and that’s when you develop acne. Sometimes back and shoulder acne can be triggered by tight clothing and sweat collecting under bra straps which can clog pores. Benzoyl peroxide is usually used to treat shoulder and back acne topically. Acne on back and shoulders can sometimes turn painful with pustules and they can also can extremely itchy. Acne that develops on the back and chest are classified as truncal acne. On the shoulders, it can be a form of acne vulgaris. Do you know acne that shows up on your back, shoulders and chest is called as bacne too. Here are some home remedies to remove shoulder and back acne in a week.
What Causes Shoulder and Back Acne:
- Severe dandruff can trigger chest, back, and shoulder acne, so get rid of dandruff with a good anti-dandruff shampoo like Nizoral and slowly you will see a reduction in shoulder and back acne too.
- Shaving and waxing can also trigger acne on shoulder and back. Follow up your waxing and shaving session with a mild cleanser with natural ingredients followed by soothing aloe vera gel to prevent folliculitis.
- Synthetic clothing can irritate skin and trigger acne. Switch to loose-fitting cotton clothing.
- Harsh soaps can sometimes irritate and trigger acne. Harsh soaps can also cause excessive dryness which can in turn lead to overproduction of oil and then clogging of pores and acne.
Home Remedies to Remove Shoulder and Back Acne in a Week:
These home remedies will help you get rid of back and shoulder acne or bacne as they say with regular use. They are effective home remedies to clear up acne within a short time.
1. Tea Tree oil and aloe vera treatment: Take 5 tsp of aloe vera gel (we suggest Patanjali or pure aloe vera gel). Add in a few drops of tea tree oil to this. Mix well and apply all over your shoulders and back. You can make more in quantity if it doesn’t cover all of your back. Keep this for 30 minutes and wipe off with a wet cloth. Tea tree has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties. It also soothes inflammation. Aloe vera soothes irritated and inflamed skin. Aloe vera also has anti-bacterial properties and thus this mask is a potent anti-acne bacne mask.
2. Apple cider vinegar Toner: ACV has antiseptic and anti-bacterial. ACV can treat a host of skin care issues. You can use apple cider vinegar anywhere on the body to treat acne, but do remember to dilute it with water because ACV on its own is a very potent ingredient. To dilute, take organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar and mix it with three parts of water. Shake well and transfer it to a spritz bottle. Spray it on to back and shoulders. There’s no need to rinse it off. Since ACV has a very strong smell, we would suggest you to spray it on before you hit bed and wash it off the next morning.
3. Turmeric and besan pack: To exfoliate and kill acne at the same time, use this mask made by mixing turmeric (which is a strong and natural anti-microbial and antiseptic ingredient) with besan (chickpea flour). Mix 2 tsp of turmeric with 4 parts besan and make a smooth paste by adding rose water. Apply all over your back and shoulders and let it sit for 15 minutes. When the pack is semi dry, rub it in circular motion to exfoliate and clear dead and dull skin cells.
4. Bentonite clay with apple cider vinegar: Bentonite clay can detox skin and help clear acne within a week of regular usage. Bentonite clay removes toxins from the skin, calms and soothes your skin. It also helps to lighten acne scars. Make a smooth paste out of bentonite clay by mixing it with diluted apple cider vinegar. Apply all over back and shoulders, keep for 20 minutes, and rinse off.
5. Oatmeal and Honey: Oatmeal can soothe inflammation, absorb oil, and along with honey it can clear bacne with regular use. Powder up a bit of oatmeal powder and add honey to make a smooth paste. Apply it all over the skin and rinse off after 20 minutes.
6. Aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel can work really well to treat acne. It’s a magical ingredient that can treat every skin issue. You can apply aloe vera gel all by itself (pure aloe vera gel or store-bought one) to soothe inflammation and clear acne. It would do you a whole lot of good to first exfoliate your back and shoulders with the turmeric and besan pack before applying the aloe vera gel. Do this regularly to get rid of bacne.
7. Green tea toner: Make green tea toner by dipping two or three green tea bags in warm water for 10 minutes. Transfer the liquid after it cools down into a spritz bottle. Green tea is not only rich in antioxidants, it also has anti-bacterial properties and also soothes inflammation.
8. Turmeric and coconut oil: Mix coconut oil with turmeric to make a smooth paste and apply all over the back. Contrary to popular belief, coconut oil will not clog pores. In fact, it will help in clearing out pores, also treats skin dryness. Lauric acid content in coconut oil clears acne-causing bacteria. Turmeric is a strong antiseptic and anti-microbial agent, so both these ingredients work really well to treat bacne.
9. Baking soda with honey: Baking soda has anti-inflammatory properties and it clears pores too. Make a paste out of baking soda with honey and apply on your acne. Regular use will clear up all your breakouts. Honey helps with the healing process.
10. Honey and lemon: Lemon has acne-fighting properties and together with honey, it helps in clearing acne and healing skin at the same time. Squeeze in half a lemon in 4 tsp of honey and apply all over the skin. Rinse off after 20 minutes.
11. Lemon and sugar scrub: This pack acts as a scrub and a pack both. Cut a lemon into two halves, apply sugar to both halves. Rub these lemon slices on to your skin. Along with exfoliation action of sugar, the anti-bacterial properties of citric acid from the lemon will clear out acne.
12. Honey and tomato: Honey and tomato help to increase cell turnover. It is best to apply this mask after gently exfoliating your skin.
13. Mint and aloe vera: Mint has salicylic acid which is a star ingredient to treat acne. Salicylic acid clears out acne and together with aloe vera’s anti-microbial properties, it will help clear bacne quickly.
14. Witch Hazel and Tea Tree Oil Spray: Witch hazel is a natural astringent and it works extremely well to clear acne. Combined to tea tree oil, this toner will clear up acne effectively. Take a quarter of witch hazel and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it. Mix well and transfer the contents to a spray bottle. Spritz at least twice a day on your back and shoulders and slowly you will see the bacne disappear and there will be less blemishes too.
How To Prevent Shoulder and Back Acne:
1. Use body washes with salicylic acid and benzyl peroxide in them. Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash and Brevoxyl Creamy Wash are good options.
2. Pick skincare products that are particularly meant for sensitive skin.
3. Switch to anti-bacterial, anti-acne soaps.
4. Exfoliate your skin at least once a week.
5. Don’t scratch bumps and breakouts.
6. Wear a sunscreen when you go outside.
7. Take shower after workouts because sweat can block pores and that can lead to acne.
8. Wear cotton clothing, avoid synthetic clothes.
9. Stop steroid medications or injections if you are taking any.
10. Use a shower mitt to gently exfoliate skin.
11. Avoid using strong soaps, switch to body washes with natural ingredients.