WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
One in every 10 women in India suffers from PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2008. The usual symptoms – acne, hirsutism, missed periods etc. But, I was not overweight, which is perhaps the most common symptom. I was put on a lot of allopathic medicines – metformin, estradiol tablets etc. The hormones artificially induce bleeding every 21st day. I had had enough! I switched to homeopathy. Homeopathy was good. It cured the underlying causes instead of the symptoms. Over a year, I slowly started getting regular periods and my condition improved. I took an ultrasound scan to confirm that PCOS had gone. Yay! But, then in 2011 I started missing my cycles. I took a scan to find that it was PCOS again. Sigh!
I did my bit of research to discover the horrid fact that PCOS can be treated, but not completely cured. So, did that mean I had to keep popping pills for the rest of my life? I was very dispirited. I started searching all online forums and sites created to help women with PCOS. I was on the lookout for natural remedies because I did not want to continue relying on medicines. I came across many options – fenugreek, saw palmetto, chaste tree, milk thistle, licorice etc. I dug deep into each one of them. Most of them had side effects like putting on weight, external estrogen etc.
The safest of them all was Spearmint– it is dried mint leaves, after all! (Not to be confused with pudina which is peppermint). Spearmint is produced in India and so I thought “Nice, easily available!”. But no – there were no spearmint tea sellers in India. How very sad! I had to get tea imported from some country which imports tea from India. Oh, the irony!
I ordered my tea bags from UK. There are other brands, but they offer a blend of spearmint with green tea or jasmine tea. This is 100% dried spearmint leaves. It is also caffeine free. There is also another brand which offers 100% spearmint. I am going to try this the next time. If you can grow spearmint in your garden, that would be the best thing.
My Drinking Pattern:
1. I dip a tea bag in a cup of water that has a temperature of about 80 degree Celsius.
2. Everywhere it is asked to steep tea bags for about 5 minutes (that is only so that it doesn’t become too strong and unbearable to drink), but I keep mine for an hour or so that all the goodness is extracted. It tastes very minty, that’s all.
3. I repeat this twice a day after breakfast and lunch.
What Spearmint Tea Does:
Spearmint tea basically helps by controlling following hormones:
• Free Testosterone, the hormone responsible for acne and hirsutism is reduced by about 30%.
• Luteinising Hormone (LH), the hormone responsible for triggering ovulation when it surges mid-cycle is increased by around 30%.
• Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), the hormone responsible for the proper maturation of ovarian follicles was increased by around 15%.
About 2-3 months after I started taking this tea:
- I got my periods which had stopped completely prior to this. From then on, I have menstruated every month. I take no other medicines or supplements other than this.
- As an added benefit, my acne too has cleared up so much! I can actually notice a difference if I stop taking the tea (I once had to, because the shipping was delayed).
I have been drinking spearmint tea for over an year now. This is one of the best things to have happened to a woman like me, who suffers from PCOS!
Weight Loss Diet During Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
How to Lose Weight With PCOS
How to Stop Hair Loss due to PCOS
PCOS Symptoms and Treatment
Home Remedies for Menstruation Problems
How To Treat Scalp Acne
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars
How to Treat Face Blemishes
How to Get Rid of Facial Hair
Popular Herbal Teas and Their Uses
Easy and Effective Ways to Lose Weight