Step 6: Follow up with a gloss.
This technique works for me most of the time. You are basically layering and blotting colour on your lips. So if one layer goes off, another stays.
Step 1. Apply lip balm when you are preparing the base your your face such as moisturizing. This gives an ample time for the lip balm to soak in your lips. If the lip balm hasn’t soaked in fully, just lay a tissue on your lips, move your fingers on tissue and blot any excess.
Step 2 : Take a similar shade of liner as your lipstick. Line and fill in your lips with a lip liner.
Step 3: Fill in your lipstick.
Step 4: Lay a clean tissue on your lips. Take loose or pressed powder on your powder brush and swipe it all over the tissue. Remove the tissue. This will blot your lipstick in without making your lips powdery or taking away the colour of your lipstick.
Step 5: Apply another coat of lipstick and follow up with a lip gloss.
A few more tips:
- Making your makeup last all day long is all about layering. You have to layer right products over one another. Cosmetic companies are also coming up with lip primers but since I have not found one in India, as yet. I use the layering techniques and they work fine for me.
- If you are attending functions, avoid eating oily foods as much as possible. Oils melt your lipsticks and hence, loosen their staying power. Always carry your lipstick with you so that you can do touch ups as and when required. 🙂
- Don’t lick your lips too much and if you have a long function to attend, try to talk less. I know how difficult it is. 😀
- I don’t use similar shade lip liner all the time. I do away with neutral shade liners mostly. 😛
- If you think your lips are in bad condition, apply generous amount of lip balm all over your lips and scrub your lips gently with a baby toothbrush for a minute or two. Wash your lips with a warm water and follow up by applying a lip balm. This would keep your lips soft and kissable. 🙂
- Some people also apply the similar shade eyeshadow or blush on their lips after applying the lipstick and before applying the gloss. But I am not comfortable doing it so I don’t. The idea again is layering.
Regarding Mac Lip conditioner, I have seen people swear by it be it in terms of moisturization, SPF, tint or flavour. I have not used it myself. May be you could give it a try and give us a first hand review on it. 🙂