The main aim why one decides to shake off extra pounds is to get healthy, but we cannot deny the fact that all of us want to look good and getting into shape is one huge bonus of losing weight. The amount of confidence you gain after losing weight is unmatched. However, loose and excess skin can come in the way of “getting into shape” for some people because they think now they look like a balloon that has been deflated! When someone has considerable weight to lose, they might possibly end with loose skin as well. Common areas that one can see loose skin is around the tummy, face, legs, and arms. One should not underestimate the power of proper nutrition and exercise to lose weight effectively without any side effects. In this post, we would delve on how to prevent sagging skin from weight loss.
Why Are you Left with Excess Skin After Weight Loss?
After losing a lot of weight, the fat would be gone, but the skin that stretched to accommodate all that fat would still hang in there! Even though one would get completely fit after weight loss, the “deflated balloon” like appearance that excess skin imparts might make one conscious. People often wear compression clothing and uncomfortable shapewear to conceal loose skin and some often resort to surgery to get rid of folds of sagging skin. The skin tends to sag when there is loss of elastin and collagen. Cellulite which is a common problem linked to excessive weight makes the fat push through skin, damaging the collagen fiber. Collagen maintains skin’s elasticity, preventing loose skin. However, when there’s a lot of muscle and fat loss, along with reduction in the production of collagen and elastin, the skin loses its firmness and sags.
How To Tone Body with Body Scrubs after Weight Loss?
Certain exercises can tone the body and remove toxins via sweat. Exercises are a must to burn off excess fat from the body. Apart from doing appropriate workout, a proper diet should also be maintained to get desired results and to prevent further cellulite from forming. However, certain homemade scrubs can help tone and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
1. Coffee and Oatmeal Scrub: This body scrub uses coffee and oatmeal as the base, and sugar as the exfoliant. Coffee helps increase blood flow to the skin surface as well as helps reduce the appearance of cellulite. Oatmeal is naturally moisturizing. Honey has been known to be a moisturizer and detoxifier, and the oil helps as a powerful moisturizer. To make this scrub, you will need – 1 cup coffee powder, ½ cup oatmeal, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup honey, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix all the ingredients well and scrub over sagging skin to tighten and firm it up. Do this once or twice a week.
2. The Magical Anti-Cellulite Scrub: Add a table spoonful of extra virgin olive oil to about 2 tablespoons of coffee bean residue or coffee powder. Mix both well and your magical coffee scrub is ready! Now scrub that cellulite away using this scrub. The olive oil binds the coffee together and conditions the skin whilst the caffeine stimulates the blood, helping you rid of the cellulite, so you can instantly feel your skin tightening up.
3. Coffee and Coconut Scrub: Take 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil in a bowl and heat it in a double boiler, stirring slowly until it melts completely. Keep it aside to cool but do not allow to solidify. Once the coconut oil cools down, add 1 cup of coffee powder, one cup of sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon powder into it. Mix all ingredients together and store in an air-tight container. Use 1-2 times a week (or everyday if you like). The coffee and sugar will exfoliate your skin and the coconut oil will leave your skin soft and moisturized.
4. Brown Sugar and Sea Salt Scrub: Take 1 cup brown sugar (to gently exfoliate without drying), 1 cup sea salt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil or sesame oil (to moisturize your skin), 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon and 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl and mix well. Store this scrub in an air-tight glass jar. Apply the scrub directly to your wet or damp skin and rub it in circular motion on cellulite with your fingers, or use a washcloth or loofah. Leave on your skin for about 5 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
5. Masoor Dal and Almonds Body Scrub: Put red lentils (masoor dal), Yellow Mustard, Oats and Almonds in a grinder and grind it for 25-30 seconds. Mix the powder with turmeric and curd thoroughly until it turns into a smooth paste. Apply this mixture on the hands, neck, and legs and leave it for 25-20 minutes and rinse off by scrubbing in an anti-clockwise direction with hands and take a shower.
6 Ways Prevent Sagging Skin From Weight Loss:
1. Lose Weight Gradually: Rapid drop in the weight within a short period of time due to wrong methods would only affect your health in the long term, it will also leave folds of loose skin behind. Wrong ways to lose weight would directly target muscle along with fat which would give you the appearance of a deflated balloon. If you lose weight gradually, through healthy means, your skin’s elasticity adjusts and shrinks back without losing its firmness as the fat melts away.
2. Yo-yo Dieting: Losing fat, gaining it back, and then losing it again to gain some back again through periods of dieting is called yo-yo dieting. This wrong way to lose weight through fad diets often leads to stretching of the skin, then tightening, followed by stretching again will loosen up the collagen and elastin fibers, decreasing its ability to firm up. If you are yo-yoing too often, your skin would stop adapting to your new shape and loose skin is inevitable. Rati Beauty diet programs encourage to lose healthy way, helping you to make lifestyle changes to lose weight and keep it off permanently without yo-yoing.
3. No Crash Dieting: When someone falls into the trap of crash dieting, he/she deprives the body of vitamins, protein, and other nutrients that provide nutrition to the body. As a result, the body is deprived of nutrients that actually make skin firm, such as collagen and elastin. Eat a healthy diet with a balance of carbs, healthy fat, protein, and other vitamins and minerals. Check out diet programs on Rati Beauty that help you to lose weight without compromising on nutrition.
4. Building Muscle through Weight Training: Along with a healthy diet, what can help you lose weight without the appearance of loose skin is by doing weight training exercises. Weight training would not only burn fat at a faster rate, it will help replace fat with strong muscles that will also help achieve an overall toned look. Replacing fat with muscle mass can reduce the appearance of loose skin.
5. Increase Protein Intake: Protein such as lysine and proline help in keeping the collagen production high in the body which keeps the skin firm, tight and elastic. A drop in protein intake would decrease the body’s ability to bounce back and firm up after considerable weight loss. Here’s a list of protein-rich foods that you can include in your diet that help with losing weight as well.
6. Exercises Such as Squats, sit-ups and pull-ups: Sit-ups, plank, squats, lunges are called resistance exercises that help to build muscles in the whole body and burn fat at the same time, especially of the legs, gluteus and belly area. They also help tone the body and improve fitness. With these exercises, there are less chances of loose skin after weight loss.
Along with the above-mentioned points, do increase the amount of vitamin C which is essential for collagen production, along with vitamin E, and use of topical retinol creams to firm up skin.