Summer is here and I am sure many of you are planning your vacations. Deciding what make up and beauty products to pack can sometimes be a pain. Also how to pack them has been an issue for me at times. Being a frequent traveler I have had my fair share of travel woes. From moisturizer bottles exploding in my suitcase to realizing I haven’t packed my eyeliner – I have experienced it all!
So based on my experience and a few tips from others, here are a few pointers for make up and beauty for travel.
In your suitcase:
- Keep a small tube/bottle of your regular face wash, shampoo, night cream etc permanently in your travel bag.
- Cello-tape the mouth of your lotion bottles. And place them in zip-lock bags. Heartless porters and factors like air-pressure can cause these bottles to explode during travel.
- Carry body sprays which come in plastic containers as opposed to glass bottles (like the Body shop ones). If you must carry a glass one, wrap it in your towel and ensure you place it in middle of your suitcase. This is to ensure that the bottle is padded on all sides.
- Travel light. Carrying your entire make up for a trip is a bad idea. Besides if the airlines should lose your luggage, you don’t want your entire make up gone do you? :). Carry products that are multipurpose. Such as a lip and cheek tint. This helps save space.
- Cream based foundation/concealer can melt during travel, placing them in separate zip-lock bags can prevent disasters.
- Just like perfumes, place your make up kit in the middle of suitcase and ensure it is padded with clothes all around.
- I always pick the toiletries placed in hotel rooms. If I don’t use the product, the bottles can be re-used to carry lotions, shampoo etc for a short trip.
- Don’t ever go with the assumption that you can pick up your products at your holiday destination. Not all products are available in all places. For example I recently did a mini tour of Chennai hunting for Colorbar products with no luck.
- Make a travel check list and paste it on your cupboard. Creating this list when you are relaxed and have time to think is a good idea. So the next time you have to make an unexpected trip, you don’t have to worry about forgetting an essential
In your handbag:
- Carry a small bottle of freshener, rose water or even a spray bottle of water in your handbag. You want to look fresh in your vacation snaps don’t you? 🙂
- Carry wet tissues. Kara has wet wipes with sunscreen. This is product is pretty useful and solves the problem of re-applying sunscreen each time you wipe your face. (This product is priced at Rs 150/- for 25 wipes)
- Always carry a small stole. I use this as a bandana when I’m doing a car trip and this doubles up as a shawl to keep me warm on flights.
- Keep an anti pimple/blemish cream handy. Travel and new environments can sometimes cause havoc to skin.
- If you are the type like me who uses multiple handbags -place all your must have essentials in a small pouch. Just transfer the pouch into the handbag you will be using for the day/travel. Not only does this make swapping bags easier, you also don’t have to dig through your entire bag looking for that tiny lip balm.
The above makeup kit inlcudes:
- Carmex lip balm with spf – Cherry flavour
- Maybelline watershine lipstick in “Iced tea”
- Body Shop liquid lip gloss in shade “02”
- Bathy & Body works body lotion- Midnight pomegranate flavour
- Maybelline Define A Lash Mascara
- Lakme liquid eyeliner in black
- Gabrini eyeliner pencil in blue
- Lakme glide on eye color in “Henna Gold”
- Bodyshop white musk eau de cologne
- Lakme radiance compact in “Marble”
Looking good on the go:
- Keep make up minimal. Nothing looks worse that foundation streaking on one’s face. If you must wear make up, use products that are water proof.
- Mineral make up works best. Not only is it perfect for summer, it’s easier to carry around than a bottle of foundation.
- Don’t forget your lips! I have realized that lip balms work better than lip stick when traveling. When I am outdoors I use Carmex lip balm with SPF 15, otherwise it’s the Body shop range of lip balms which I just adore. (Any suggestions for a lip balm with SPF that is available in the Indian market?)
- Whether you are picnicking at the park, or lugging you baggage around the airport – your nail-polish has more chances to chip when on the move. Keep your nails simple and clean. A clear varnish works best.
- While most of us taken extreme precautions in protecting our face and body from sun damage, our hair is ignored. Sun protection for your hair is also important. Bonacure and Boots have good hair sprays that provide sun protection. ( Again I am looking out for something similar in the Indian markets. Any suggestions?)
- If you are going to be on a long flight, moisturize well and apply a serum to your hair.
- Drink plenty of water and cut on down caffeine before and during a journey. This will help prevent your face from looking tired and patchy. This was a tip given to me by a flight attendant.
So that is my two cents worth. Looking forward to tips from the readers!