WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
How to Become Comfortable Wearing Bright Makeup
Being a young girl and being brought up in Kerala, I am not comfortable wearing bright makeup anywhere, even if it was a suitable place to wear bright makeup. If I decide to wear purple eye shadow to a relative’s house, someone will wash it off me with a steel wool and Lux liquid. After becoming a makeup lover, I really wanted to start wearing brighter makeup, so I started small and worked my way brighter. I found out that there are 2 restrictions keeping people from wearing bright makeup in Indian community-Criticizing by family/society OR fear of bright colors [thinking they will make you look trashy etc.]
So for the people afraid about the criticizing:
The first thing I noticed was that, it is all about the situation and function. If you are going out with your friends to the movies, you can easily sport hot pink lips or if you are going to the mall. But to tell you the truth I am one of those judgmental girls-when I see a young girl wearing bold red lips at a family function, I would think and even tell my cousin sister that, that girl is trying too hard. If you are attending a wedding, or family function where there will be a lot of your family [especially where your dada, dadi, nana, nani etc. are present] you should never attempt to wear such “in your face” makeup. Mine is an orthodox Muslim family so my basic family function makeup is: flawless skin with foundation and concealer, a light pink blush, some eyeliner and clear or light pink gloss.
Now for those who are afraid of color, here are some tips that helped me get over my chromophobia [fear of bright colors :D]
- The first look I tried was colored liner.
It is “IN” but it is not “In your face” loud makeup. Begin by changing your normal black liner to dark blue, or brown, then to a darker greens and purples and slowly into jewel colors. And always remember to keep your shadows to the minimum when sporting this look. It is all about the liner.
- Here is the tutorial I have done for how to wear colored liner : How To Apply Coloured Eye Liner
- Next thing you could try is wearing less pigmented shades of bright colors. Especially if you are a beginner, purchase cheaper eye shadows that are less pigmented and use it to give a light wash of color all over the lid. You can build the intensity of the color as you get comfy with it. I suggest trying shades of pink, gold, bronze, peach etc.
- Mrunmayee has reviewed a chamber eye shadow trio that is not super pigmented here – Chambor Eye Shadow Trio Review.
- In case of wearing lip colors, If you are no or nude lipstick person, begin by using a lightly tinted lip balm like Nivea lip balm in strawberry. That will give your lips a slight tinge of color.
Next would be to try gloss sans shimmer.try lighter shades of gloss that is, colors close to your lips color. Then you can start experimenting with different shades. One thing I have learned is that in case of lip color, matte and frosty texture usually seems over the top. But satin finish and glosses seem more normal.
- And never forget the key rule to wearing bright makeup-play up only one feature of your face. If you go for bright eyes, keep lips nude. If you wear bright lips, keep your eyes matte and neutral. If you want to play up your cheeks, keep your eyes and lips light. You don’t want to go out of your house looking like this:
- Last but not the least; keep tabs on latest bright makeup trends. Someone who always gets colored liners and any bright makeup trends spot on is Rihanna. I like keeping tabs on her public appearances to see latest bright makeup trends. Another thing I like is that she has skin tone similar to us Indians, so it is easy to adapt her looks. I save every picture of her I can find, here are some of my favorite of her colorful and non-colorful looks[which would be great for those function where you can’t do bright makeup]
Source: all acquired through Google images
I hope this article was helpful for all of you out there who are afraid of wearing colors. And remember, no one can rock wild shades like us Desigirls!