For long, we have thought the only one function that calcium has in a human body is to help build healthy and strong bones and that’s it! But there are a whole lot of things that calcium can do and one of those things will get you mighty interested – calcium can help burn fat and that too belly fat! There’s a lot of research to back the theory that calcium which is an essential mineral which helps in bone and teeth formation, assists in muscle strength, can help in weight loss in more than one ways. Belly fat or visceral fat is a result of bad dietary choices, high-calorie diet, lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, and also due to lack of sleep. Belly fat can also increase one’s risk for type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and high blood pressure. There’s are a lot of things one can do to get rid of belly fat – by sticking to good diet (Rati Beauty diet programs are a great way to start), avoid refined food and bad carbs, also getting rid of transfat and sugar. Apart from these, you can also exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, increase the intake of healthy fats, soluble fiber, and also indulge in HIIT form of exercise. Also, you can eat your way, through a healthy way, by including calcium in your diet. Let’s find out if calcium can burn you belly fat and if there is scientific data to back it.
Functions of Calcium in Human Body:
1. Strengthens bones and teeth.
2. Can help prevent colon cancer.
3. Prevents osteoporosis.
4. Lowers the risk of heart disease.
5. Regulate blood pressure.
6. Helps burn belly fat.
7. Prevents weight from getting deposited in the cells.
8. Lowers weight by using converting energy to heat rather than allowing it to store as body fat.
How Calcium Helps with Weight Loss:
- It helps you burn more fat stored in the body.
- Prevents your body from storing fat.
- Makes you feel fuller for longer.
- Within the body cells, if there is adequate calcium, that cell will burn more fat.
- Adequate calcium in the body increases breakdown of fat in the bloodstream and preserves thermogenesis, accelerating the weight loss process.
- Promotes thermogenesis by converting a portion of dietary calories to heat instead of storing it as body fat. When the calcium levels are low, the body tends to make more fat cells.
- That’s a lot of research to show calcium helps burn fat. Diets that are high in calcium are associated with reduced rates of being obese. If one takes the recommended daily intake of calcium, there are less chances of that person developing belly fat.
- Calcium also suppresses appetite, lowering hunger sensations by 12%.
- Calcium intake also helps with weight reduction.
- Interestingly, when there is calcium deficiency, the body produces higher levels of calcitriol which is a hormone that leads to production of fat cells. Adequate calcium lowers calcitriol levels, leading to breakdown of fat, lesser production of fat cells, helping you slim down.
- Calcium also decreases production of fatty acid synthase, which is an enzyme that accelerates the creation of fatty acids.
- There’s another thing calcium can do – it increases lipid oxidation (fat burning).
- Research also shows that calcium and vitamin D intake at breakfast increases the rate at which fat is burned over the rest of the two meals.
Recommended Intake of Calcium:
Daily dietary intake of 1000 mg of calcium is recommended for women 19-50 and men aged 19-70, and 1200 mg for women above the age of 51. Only a doctor can assess how much calcium a person requires, so please do consult your doctor before increasing the amount of calcium in your diet.
17 Food Items Rich in Calcium:
- Sesame seeds
- Chia seeds
- Almond milk
- Dry figs
- Okra, ladies finger.
- Dark green leafy vegetables.
To conclude, we would like to reiterate that weight loss is not dependant on just one factor, in fact, a combination of good diet, healthy lifestyle, exercise can only help someone lose weight, so practice all three, and do not forget to increase calcium through diet for added benefits.