Nothing compares to the taste of a perfectly ripe and sweet strawberry. Not only does it taste amazing, strawberry also has a lot of health benefits which make it a perfect fruit to add to our diet, whether you are low carb or limited calorie diet. Since weight loss experts advice using strawberries liberally in smoothies to salads, we often wonder if strawberries would help us to shed a few kilos? Is it a weight loss-friendly fruit? Read on to know find the answer to this question, “Is strawberry good for weight loss.?”
- Strawberry is high in fibre: Strawberries are rich in fiber which make it a weight-loss friendly fruit. One cup of strawberries offer 3.3 grams of fiber, which is enough to make us feel full for long. Also, if we are full, we will consume less fattening foods which would further aid in weight loss. The fiber content in it also helps to detox our gut and to strengthen our body to absorb nutrients from digested food better.
- Strawberry is a low-calorie fruit: 100 grams of strawberries contain just 33 calories. So, if you are on a weight loss diet, you need to consume less calories than the amount your body needs, and put your body in calorie deficit. So, to please your hungry tummy, strawberries can be the best option as it makes you feel full but supplies less calories to create a calorie deficit.
- Strawberry is low in Sugar: Though strawberries taste sweet, but interestingly, one serving of eight strawberries has less than one-third the sugar compared to an apple and only half the calories of a banana. This makes strawberries a great choice for those who are a low carb or low-sugar diet compared to fruits like apple, banana, grapes, and oranges. It is also a low-glycemic food, which prevents increase in blood sugar or weight gain.
- Strawberries help to Boost Digestion: A healthy digestion plays a vital role in weight loss. Strawberries have anti-inflammatory enzymes that boost the metabolic rate of the body and helps in burning fat effectively. As mentioned above, strawberries with their high antioxidant and vitamin C content, fight free radicals.
- Strawberries are nutrient rich: Ellagic acid is found predominantly in strawberries and this acid helps to restore the functioning of weight reducing hormones that get blocked due to inflammation in the body. Strawberries are high in vitamin B6, foliate, biotin that promote fat-burning and weight loss by converting ingested foods into fuel instead of fat. Omega-3 fats in strawberries help to keep fat out of our bloodstream and keep our brain healthy. The phytonutrients and phytochemicals also help prevent metabolic disorders and make sure that the endocrine and digestive systems work properly so that there is no hormone-related weight gain.
A Quick Tip: In order to get the maximum benefit from this fruit, choose big and red organic strawberries as they have more vitamin C content and are also nutrient rich.
So, isn’t it high time you stocked up on strawberries and add it to your daily diet if weight loss is on your mind.