By Raka Ganguli
Skin type: oily and sensitive
Hair type: smooth and straight
Hello, beautiful people!
With the onset of monsoons, I’m really enjoying the crisp breeziness coupled with the fresh earthy fragrance that seems to waft all around me. This is the perfect time to sit in front of the window and listen to the pitter patter of raindrops bouncing off the window sill. But, monsoons translate to high humidity and, as we all know, the damp atmosphere is an arch nemesis of skin and hair. So today, I’ll pull off the curtains from an indispensable product in my stash, the all-rounder but humble lavender essential oil.
Price: INR 795 for 12 ml/0.4 fl Oz
Cherished for its unmistakable aroma and myriad benefits for beauty and wellness, Lavender’s calming and relaxing qualities make it a unique essential oil. When applied on skin, it cools and soothes skin irritation, redness and swelling as well as after effects of hair removal methods like tweezing, threading or waxing. As a scalp toner, it calms itchy scalp as well as undoes damage caused by extreme weather or pollution. Adding this oil to bath water helps soak away stress and when applied to the temples and the back of the neck, it relieves tension and aids in a restful night’s sleep. As diffuser oil, it has a cooling energy and helps to soothe nerves, calm the spirit and relieve irritability.
• 100% Natural
• Soothes skin irritation and redness
• Calms itchy scalp and damaged hair
• Relieves fatigue and anxiety
• Corrects sleeplessness
My Experience with Kama Ayurveda Essential Oil Lavender:
Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) has a very pleasant and fresh floral fragrance with a distinct woody note imbibed into it. Lavender essential oil is extremely calming and soothing, both for the skin and hair as well as for wellness. It can be put to use for many ailments, particularly for nervous diseases such as depression, anxiety, nervous chills, insomnia, stress, and neck pain.
The mild herbal aroma relaxes the mind and eases tension and is said to possess mild sedative properties for which it is often used before bedtime. It also helps to treat respiratory problems and eases the passage of air flow in case of sinus issues. It gets rid of itchiness and flakiness from the skin and scalp and calms down any inflammations or redness immediately.
It is also anti-fungal, therefore, dissipates skin and hair infections, particularly dandruff and ringworm. It reduces acne swelling remarkably quick and helps in maintaining the hydration levels of the skin by balancing sebum production, evens out the skin tone and with regular use, adds a glow.
Lavender essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of the lavender flowers. Essential oils are very potent and concentrated, and technically, not an “oil”, so authentic essential oils do not feel greasy on the skin. In order to identify if it is indeed an essential oil, pour a little oil and rub it between your fingers. It will produce a little froth and feel watery instead of the usual greasiness of oil.
Kama Ayurveda lavender essential oil definitely passed that test so I can assert it is 100% steam distilled natural essential oil. It comes in a small dark brown tinted glass bottle with a golden screw cap. It has an inbuilt dropper with two large piercings which pour out much more product than required. It leads to substantial wastage. Definitely not the smartest packaging! However, the quality of the product makes up for its shortcomings. It is outstanding in its efficacy and authenticity.
Sourced from the lavender flowers in the Himalayas, it has the mildest and calming fragrance of lavenders I’ve ever smelt. Upon the first sniff, it might come across as a pungent floral smell, but it soon settles down to the light earthy aroma of lavender flowers. It is extremely beneficial and shows stark effectiveness.
Listed are the ways in which I use this essential oil:
1. Before bedtime, I use this as a diffuser oil and it the best relaxer I’ve ever tried. You have to try it to believe it.
2. I mix 2-3 drops of this EO in 4-5 drops of almond oil and massage my face with it every night before bed. The soothing smell helps me fall asleep quickly and the next morning I wake up with renewed skin. It soothes irritations and inflammations and keeps my oily skin in check. It also has brightened my face over time and got rid of an old acne scar. It cools down my skin and prevents heat rashes.
3. I also use it along with coconut oil and almond oil for a hot oil massage and I get smooth, lustrous hair. I had a mild dandruff occurrence and within 2 uses, my scalp flakiness had vanished. It prevents hair fall as well.
4. I add it in my bath water when I take a shower before bedtime. An easy way to replicate a spa ambience at home!
5. I have migraine and during those terrible headaches, I apply a little of the EO directly to my temples and it definitely lowers the pain.
6. I apply it directly to sooth insect bites and it brings down the inflammation. It reduces itchiness completely.
7. I sniff this oil during monthly cramps and it comforts me to quite a large extent.
8. When I have a blocked nose or a cold, I take a steam inhalation with this EO and, voila, no medicines required.
9. I apply it as a spot treatment to those pesky zits. By next morning, they disappear!
10. I take my bottle of homemade rosewater and pour drops of this EO into it. After returning home, I spray it on my face and it instantly relieves me from the sting of sunburn.
11. I pour a few drops of it on my pillow before going to sleep at night and I get a good night’s rest.
Pros of Kama Ayurveda Essential Oil Lavender:
• 100% natural steam distilled essential oil.
• Sourced from organically grown lavender flowers in the Himalayas.
• Comes in a dark glass bottle which protects it from sunlight, therefore, maintains its potency.
• Authentic essential oil.
• Can be used in various ways, as and when required.
• Very relaxing and soothing with a fresh floral and woody fragrance.
• Can be applied to the pulse points as a perfume.
Cons of Kama Ayurveda Essential Oil Lavender:
• It comes with 2 large piercings as a dropper, which leads to uncontrolled usage and leads to product wastage.
• Price can be a deterrent.
IMBB Rating: 4.8/5 (0.2 deducted for the packaging)
Will I Repurchase/Recommend Kama Ayurveda Essential Oil Lavender?
I will not repurchase the lavender essential oil from this particular brand due to its terrible packaging, but I shall continue to purchase the lavender EO as long as I live. It is an HG product for me. It is versatile and I would say that if you had to pick up only one essential oil, make lavender oil your priority.
Fun Fact: King Charles VI of France had his pillows stuffed with lavender, which induced in him a good sleep!
Kama Ayurveda Rose Jasmine Facial Cleanser
Kama Soap Free Cleanser
Kama Ayurveda Pure Rose Water
Kama Ayurveda Brightening Ayurvedic Face Scrub
Kama Ayurveda Lavanya Natural Plant Mask
Aroma Magic Lavender Oil
Khadi Lavender Oil
How To Use Essential Oils Safely
Homemade Green Tea Ice Facial with Essential Oils and Toner
Khadi Herbal Lavender & Ylang Ylang Massage Oil