By Raka G.
Skin Type – Combination-oily and sensitive
Hair Type – Smooth and straight
It’s raining here in Kolkata as I write this, and I couldn’t be more grateful for the delightful weather! Monsoons are a time for wrapping a duvet around you, sitting in front of the window with a cup of “adrak waali chai” (or hot chocolate) and munching on pakodas. A perfect playlist or a book further more adds to the beauty of “me” time. And I strongly believe a “me” time cannot be complete without an oil massage. So today, I’m going to air my thoughts on the Kama Ayurveda Organic Sweet Almond Oil.
A light and gentle conditioning treatment with the delicate sweet smell obtained from the ripe seeds of the Sweet Almond tree. In Ayurveda, Sweet Almonds are considered a nutrient for the brain and nervous system and also said to induce high intellectual level and longevity. Rich in Vitamins A & E, it nourishes and improves complexion reviving its natural glow. Useful for lightening dark circles, spots and marks and can be used even by delicate, irritated and sensitive skin types. Smoothens hair cuticles, helps control hair fall and adds luster to damaged hair. Ideal for baby massages. Benefits: • 100% Natural and Organic
• Cold Pressed
• Fast absorbing
• Conditions damaged hair
• Smoothens skin
• Even Skin Tone
• Excellent for baby massages.
Certified Organic Sweet Almond Oil. Amygdalus communis, popularly known as Almond, replenishes the lost nutrients in the skin, reduces acne and makes the skin look healthier. Its oil is mild and can be used as a moisturizer. It is also used for massages. It reduces breakage, split ends, itchy scalp, dry roots and flat hair. It softens the scalp, and makes the hair look shiny, silky and healthy.
INR 1350 for 200 ml, INR 595 for 100 ml.
My Experience with Kama Ayurveda Organic Sweet Almond Oil:
Almonds are wonder nuts. Why wonder nuts? Because, they are blessed with exceptional skin and hair conditioning properties, along with a multitude of other health benefits. I remember when I was younger, my mother used to supervise my morning consumption of 3 almonds that had been soaked overnight in water. Moms and grandmas know the best, and my thick, glossy, black hair coupled with a “lit from within” skin used to mirror the above statement. With the progression of years, I grew fussy and slowly abandoned the practice.
A year back while searching for unprocessed almond oil, I spotted this bottle at the Kama Ayurveda store and instantly picked it up. The oil comes in a deep brown tinted plastic bottle with a golden screw cap which has this old world charming look about it. The bottle is protected with an additional stopper, which is supposed to prevent spillage; however, it wasn’t much of a success in my case.
The consistency is just perfect, neither too thick nor too runny, and it spreads easily on the skin. It is non-sticky and smoothens skin sans the greasiness. With a little massage, it gets absorbed into the skin easily and for faster absorption, I spray my face a little with rose water prior to application. It is a golden-coloured oil and has a very mild and sweet fragrance, just like a freshly bitten almond. The smell somehow satisfies me, knowing that there aren’t any funny additives present in an otherwise pure almond oil.
Almonds are rich in vitamin E and other essential fatty acids and the cold-pressed method is used in order to preserve the naturally occurring chemical compounds and the emollients within the oil. Since during the cold pressed method almost no heat is used, (it is extracted with the help of a centrifuge), the skin and hair greatly benefits from the essential fatty acids present in the oil. Since almond oil is non-comedogenic, acne prone and oily skinned people can safely use it as massage oil. It is also extremely mild and hence safe for baby massages as well. Regular application of almond oil evens out the skin tone and adds a natural golden glow to your skin, which no makeup can ever replicate. It makes the skin extremely soft. It even transforms dry and brittle hair into smooth and shiny tresses.
I have mentioned below the ways in which I use this oil:
1. As a massage oil – I add 2-3 drops of either lavender, jasmine or peppermint essential oil to around a tablespoon of almond oil and use it as a body massage oil after bath or just before going to sleep.
2. Facial oil- I take a small quantity of almond oil in my palms and add a drop of lavender essential oil and massage it all over my face before hitting the bed. It calms me and helps me have a good night’s sleep. Over time, it has given me a very natural golden sheen, almost like a natural highlight.
3. Bath oil- I add a few drops of it to my bath water and I get hydrated skin post shower.
4. With ubtan – Before bath, I massage the oil on my face and let it sit for 15 minutes after which I use my Forest Essentials Tejasvi Ubtan to exfoliate my skin. It gives me the softest skin ever with a deep cleansing action.
5. Head massage oil – Since I have coloured hair, I need to deep condition my hair often and for that purpose I use coconut oil and almond oil in same proportions, heat it and give myself a hot oil massage. I let it soak into my strands overnight and wash it off the next morning. Trust me ladies, I do not use a conditioner but I’m yet to experience rough hair, even after all the chemical treatments. This oil is gold for hair. It didn’t give me hair fall ever. I follow this method 4 times a week.
6. As an eye cream- Almond oil has immense power in reducing darkness under eyes and I have definitely benefitted from its usage under my eyes. It keeps my eye contour plump and hydrated.
7. As a nail treatment- I massage this oil every alternate night on my cuticles and I flaunt strong nails as a result.
8. DIY Treatments- I pour a drop of this oil in my homemade lip scrub with sugar and lemon. Instant pink, soft lips! I also use it as a lip balm occasionally. These are various ways that you can incorporate this golden oil in your daily beauty regimen. It is an exceptionally rich oil which is suitable for all skin types and for people belonging to any age. Regular use of this oil also helps in prevention of fine lines.
Pros of Kama Ayurveda Organic Sweet Almond Oil:
- See-through bottle, helps determine the quantity left.
- Organically grown almonds used.
- Cold pressed oil, no tampering with the nutrients present in the almonds.
- No presence of additives like parabens, preservatives or phthalates
- Very rich in Vitamin E and plenty of essential fatty acids along with other minerals beneficial for skin, hair and health.
- Makes skin extremely soft and smooth and adds a natural glow to the skin .
- Brightens and evens out skin tone .
- Reduces dark circles and lip pigmentation.
- Smoothens dry, rough hair cuticles and makes hair more lustrous and soft, helps repair damaged hair.
- Can be used as a natural moisturizer, or as a carrier oil and massage oil.
- Prevents formation of fine lines.
- Easily absorbed and non-sticky oil.
- Safe even for babies.
Cons of Kama Ayurveda Organic Sweet Almond Oil:
Would I Repurchase/Recommend Kama Ayurveda Organic Sweet Almond Oil?
Yes, I shall repurchase it as it has worked as a miracle oil for my skin and hair woes. In fact, I have purchased it twice before already and currently on my 3rd bottle. I highly recommend it, this is a multi-faceted oil and true to all its claims. Have a wonderful day!
Kama Ayurveda Bringadi Intensive Hair Treatment
Kama Ayurveda Jwalini Retexturising Skin Treatment Oil
Kama Ayurveda Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
10 Best Products from Kama Ayurveda
Khadi Sweet Almond Oil
Forest Essentials Organic Cold Pressed Virgin Almond Oil
Fabindia Sweet Almond Oil, Forest Essentials Mashobra and Honey Body Wash, L’Occitane Almond Shower Scrub
Beauty Benefits of Almond Oil