WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I have tried many shampoos for my hair. I would pick up any shampoo in the market which would bear any or a combination of words like dry, dull, frizz, curl, nourish, damaged – going upto strength, hairfall and once even dandruff (I don’t have any, but I thought maybe that shampoo might suit me). High end to Low end, everything is either tried out or in the process. One brand that was yet to be tested was Kerastase. Now all of you who still haven’t opened your purses to this brand, I know what dilemma you must be in. This brand is lauded for giving some of the best results, but it’s so expensive! It took me some courage to take a plunge and I am sharing with you my experience and whether it makes sense to invest in it. Please do read the conclusion for an interesting insight.
Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo Curl Shampoo is a Curly definition shampoo for dry, curly and unruly hair. Its nourishing formula will leave your hair soft, supple, light and shiny from root to tip and curls are left well defined and disciplined.
Formulated with shorea and palm oil to leave hair feeling nourished, soft and light; cationic polymer to aid detangling and leave curls well defined; and curl-protect for soft shiny hair, Kérastase Bain Oléo-Curl smoothes your hair fibre and protects the curl from deformation, for defined curls that hold their shape. It also limits penetration of humidity to leave your hair tamed and frizz free.
• Provides weightless nourishment and conditioning
• Protects hair from frizz
• Blocks humidity
• Prevents curl deformation
• Leaves hair soft and supple
• Eases detangling
• NUTRI-HUILE + CURL PROTECT:
• Shorea and Palm Oils: Restores hair’s suppleness
• Cationic Polymer: Adds softness and facilitates detangling
• Curl-Protect: Reconstitutes the protective layer and blocks out humidity to prevent curl deformation
Price: 250ml for anything between INR 1600/- to 3000/- on online sites.
My take on Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo-Curl Shampoo:
I am sharing a short summary of my hair regime first. I have 3b/3c curls and I wash+condition my hair every day. Else they will turn out absolutely dry and hard by next day. Shampoo is mostly once a week, best case is twice. I use detangling serum+curl defining creams occasionally, but generally avoid any kind of styling abuse on my hair. Thus I prefer to use a shampoo which will help me get rid of any product build up and cleanse my hair thoroughly during that one wash. Now let’s move on to the review:
The bottle is typical Kersatase shaped and the product is a clear runny gel. It has a fruity kind of smell, nothing heavenly but definitely not repulsive. The product will not lather much; actually replace much with at all. Also I find that one need not take copious amount of the shampoo, little also goes a long way. I feel hair smoothen up in the shower itself and it definitely gives the cleansed feel to my hair and scalp. I always follow up with a conditioner.
On the day of wash, the hair appeared softened. Though it did not help much on the hairfall in shower, I felt that there was definitely a control in hair fall after that. Curls were soft and better defined, thought nothing drastic. I did a test with one side left unconditioned and the hair strands were not in such good shape there. After air-drying, my frizz was back. It is a good detangler for first day, but I was back to using the detangling products from next day onwards.
Lets see who does it stand up to some of the claims:
• Nourishment and conditioning : I think my hair still needs a conditioner after shampoo, so not too sure about these points.
• Protects hair from frizz: nothing worked for me, but I stay in a coastal city which wreaks havoc on my hair. I think it will have a better effect on non-coastal cities.
• Blocks humidity- definitely could not do that in my city.
• Prevents curl deformation- to some extent, but everything is back to square one from next day
• Leaves hair soft and supple- definitely soft for day 1, nothing for days beyond that.
• Eases detangling- yes for day 1.
Conclusion on Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo-Curl Shampoo:
Looking at the above report card, it seems that atleast this shampoo works on day 1, if not beyond. However I found another shampoo that gave a similar effect-Patanjali Hair cleaner with Milk Protein, though it did not exhibit a similar hair fall control as this one. I have tested them atleast ten times by dividing my hair into two parts and carrying out multiple permutations and combination with different conditioner. Every time the result came out to be absolutely same. I am saddened that Kerastese couldn’t do wonders as I thought it would, but I am happy I found a more economical substitute for it.
Pros of Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo-Curl Shampoo:
- Cleanses hair very well, without unnecessary lathering
- Softens hair- but only on the day of shampoo
- Slight improvement in curl definition
- Good detangling on the day of shampoo
Cons of Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo-Curl Shampoo:
- Expensive- the most expensive one I ever bought
- No major effect on frizziness
- Not much help in humidity control in my city
- Has a much economical substitute available- atleast it worked for me
IMBB Rating: 3.5/5
Will I Repurchase/Recommend Kerastase Nutritive Bain Oleo-Curl Shampoo?
I will not be repurchasing, I think it’s obvious why. Give it a try only if you can afford. I have used this shampoo over a wide range of seasons and I continue to find the above mentioned Patanjali to be equally effective if not more.
Kerastase Noctogenist Voile Nuit for Fine Hair
Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense For Fine and Dry Hair
Kerastase Nutritive Creme Oleo-Relax Slim
Kerastase Oleo-Relax Serum and Sample Room
Lotus Herbals Nutranite Skin Renewal Nutritive Night Cream
Garnier Essentials Nutritive Care with Vitamin Cream
Toni & Guy Frizz Smoothing Curl Shampoo
Toni and Guy Frizz Smoothing Curl Conditioner